JR

Reaction score
Handicap
I am a big indie film buff. I love watching movies, enjoying movies that not a whole lot know about. How about you. This isn't a indie thread, that is just my personal preference.

Here are a couple of my favorites that you should check out. Note, Some of these are extremely disturbing films, and should not be viewed lightly. Check all ratings to ensure that you will feel okay with the film. Also, no lecturing about how inappropriate these are for a teenager.

American Psycho- Extremely frightening portrait of an insane man. Must see.

Hard Candy- A teen girl decides to punish a pedophile. I will go no further than that. Guys, you will cringe. This is certain.

The Magdeline Sisters- A scathing attack on the Magdeline Asylums of Ireland.

Donnie Darko- A confusing film that also deals with themes of insanity and death.

Princess Mononoke- The greatest animated film ever made. An epic, sprawling tale that deals with themes of honor, responsibility, and respect for the enviornment. Hayao Miyazaki's Magnum Opus.

Into the Wild- Quite possibly the only movie I know of that can bring tears to my eyes. No, I am not afraid to admit that. A deeply moving true story that tugs at your heart strings, and does not let go.

Almost Famous- My personal favorite movie of all time, rivaled only by American Beauty. A teen leaves home ignorant, innocent, niave. He comes back wiser and heartbroken. Not exactly an indie, but not terribly popular, this film just resonates with me.

I wanna see the Coen Brother's adaptation of True Grit. I really love their work. What are some of your favorites, recent finds, wishlists?

Or here are 10- leaving out the obvious blockbusters (LOTR's etc etc)

1. Blade Runner of course.
2. The Third Man (love the chase thought the Vienna sewers)
3. Pale Rider/Unforgiven (Hard to pick one Eastwood western, but I like these because he plays against his normal character)
4. Bullitt (great car chase)
5. Papillon (another Steve McQueen film set on Devil's Island)
6. Ben Hur (still great!)
7. The Pianist
8. Enemy at the Gates
9. White Heat (Cagney's best)
10. Dark City (done before the Matrix- very original premise)

3 out of your 7 are film adaptations from books. You should give them a read, much better than the movie. I like your list of films quite a bit.

I like indie films as well but find myself attracted to films based on who's in it these days.

I wrote a thesis on Easy Rider, which could be my all time favorite film.

I am a big indie film buff. I love watching movies, enjoying movies that not a whole lot know about. How about you. This isn't a indie thread, that is just my personal preference.

Here are a couple of my favorites that you should check out. Note, Some of these are extremely disturbing films, and should not be viewed lightly. Check all ratings to ensure that you will feel okay with the film. Also, no lecturing about how inappropriate these are for a teenager.

Hard Candy- A teen girl decides to punish a pedophile. I will go no further than that. Guys, you will cringe. This is certain.

Donnie Darko- A confusing film that also deals with themes of insanity and death.

Princess Mononoke- The greatest animated film ever made. An epic, sprawling tale that deals with themes of honor, responsibility, and respect for the enviornment. Hayao Miyazaki's Magnum Opus.

Into the Wild- Quite possibly the only movie I know of that can bring tears to my eyes. No, I am not afraid to admit that. A deeply moving true story that tugs at your heart strings, and does not let go.

Almost Famous- My personal favorite movie of all time, rivaled only by American Beauty. A teen leaves home ignorant, innocent, niave. He comes back wiser and heartbroken. Not exactly an indie, but not terribly popular, this film just resonates with me.

I wanna see the Coen Brother's adaptation of True Grit. I really love their work. What are some of your favorites, recent finds, wishlists?

serious golfers use tapatalk so we can THP on the fly!

I just got done with a trilogy of movies called Red Riding. 3 very good movies.

Anything Coen esepcially O brother, TBL, and Fargo.
Pulp Fuction
Tru ROmance
Reservoir Dogs
Suicide Kings
Memento
Inception
Apolcalypse Now
Platoon
The Caine Mutiny
Natural Born Killers

Pretty much anything Nolan, Coen, Oliver Stone, some Tarantino, and a ton others.

Man i could go on for days. Here in the crap midwest this is all I do in the winter. Not a big winter sports buff anymore. I used to ski but spending more time in line or on the lift is lame.

Anything Oliver Stone

Man i could go on for days. Here in the crap midwest this is all I do in the winter. Not a big winter sports buff anymore. I used to ski but spending more time in line or on the lift is lame.

Please tell me you mean anything except Any Given Sunday.

Please tell me you mean anything except Any Given Sunday.

Yes....just like Tarantino and some terrible movies he has made... (IE From Dusk till Dawn) Oliver Stone has some really bad ones also. But in general most of his stuff is really good.

From Dusk till Dawn is an awesome campy 70's flick!!

Right this moment I'm watching a A Boy and his Dog. Two nights ago I watched Let the Right One In, an incredibly creepy Swedish movie. I'm looking forward to seeing Winter's Bone. Watched a nice little movie several nights ago called Right at Your Door. Sweet little twist at the end of that one.

Kevin

Hey TC, I am assuming you are talking about American Psycho and Into the wild, which are on my to read list. What is the other one?

I tried to avoid spamming one Director on my list, but I love Tarentino (despite no being able to spell his name) and the Coen Brother's films. I also like Ang Lee, though his are not exactly under the radar. If I were to make a blockbuster list, it would look something like this:

Inception
Kill Bill
Inglorious Basterds
No Country for old men
There Will Be Blood
Spirited Away
The Hangover

with many more that I don't feel like typing.

Hey TC, I am assuming you are talking about American Psycho and Into the wild, which are on my to read list. What is the other one?

the donnie darko book, written by richard kelly.....it's definitely worth the read if you liked the film. i should say though, that the movie is not an adaptation of the book, rather a book that came out in 03' at/around the time of the film.

Ah, Okay.
I am a little afraid to read American Psycho, I have read a lot of reviews in which people could not finish it. But next time I am in town, it's mine!
the donnie darko book, written by richard kelly.....it's definitely worth the read if you liked the film. i should say though, that the movie is not an adaptation of the book, rather a book that came out in 03' at/around the time of the film.

Ah, Okay.
I am a little afraid to read American Psycho, I have read a lot of reviews in which people could not finish it. But next time I am in town, it's mine!

yeah, it's very hardcore.....but you get much more insight into the psyche of bateman. bret easton ellis is the author and he researched all of murders he used in the novel at the NY public library. pretty wild stuff.

Wow. You know, TC, forgive me, but I never had you pegged as a big reader.
yeah, it's very hardcore.....but you get much more insight into the psyche of bateman. bret easton ellis is the author and he researched all of murders he used in the novel at the NY public library. pretty wild stuff.

Wow. You know, TC, forgive me, but I never had you pegged as a big reader.

it's b/c i don't use big words, lol

i was an english/lit minor, more specifically, british colonial lit, so i read tons of stuff out of australia, new zealand, the west indies, and india. one of my favorite books of all time is a book by a new zealand author, alan duff, entitled "once were warriors". it's pretty hardcore, and explores the trials of being an indigenous kiwi, the maori. there's also a film based on the novel that is really, really good. highly recommend it.

TC studied literature. I knew you were a bright guy. By the time I graduated from college I had enough lit credits for two separate lit degrees. I loved my seven years of college. LOL.

Once Were Warriors. Saw it and read it. Great stuff, powerful and so moving. The wife in the film was fantastic. FWIW, True Grit was a massive bestseller. In 1968 I believe. Reprtedly the dialog in the Coen film comes right from the book.

I'm not a fan of Brett Easton Ellis. I'm not so sure the guy actually even killed anybody, but was actually nuts and all that crap took place in his mind. Several of the murders make no sense, and there is no way he could have cleaned up before his maid came in. Of course I read it when it came out, which is many moons ago.

I suggest reading No Country for Old Men, as well as The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I've not seen the first, but the second is a pretty good movie, too. The book is spellbinding, and McCarthy should someday win the Nobel Prize for Literature.

Aggro, if you like indie films, which often have better atmosphere and dialog than big budget movies, you need to watch the film noir/crime films of the 40's, 50's and 60's. I also suggest you read those type of books. Big Jim Thompson, David Goodis, Charles Willeford, Frederic Brown, and on and on. Many of the books were reprinted by Black Lizard Press in the 1980s.

Many of these were made into movies. The Big Jim Thompson books were made into some fantastic films including The Getaway with Steve McQueen, The Grifters, and most recently an unbelievably violent and intense film The Killer Inside Me. I'm not sure you should even watch that at your age.

Here's a list of the novels. You can check which have been made into films with a little Googling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Lizard

Any film buff should know his way around all the Bogart crime/private eye movies. To say films like The Big Sleep and The Maltese Falcon are timeless is selling them short. Also look for any crime movie starring Sterling Hayden. Can't miss with those, especially The Asphalt Jungle.

You're young, get started now, there're lifetimes of good stuff out there.

Kevin

Last edited:
The coen version of true grit is a masterpiece.

Wow, now that was a post.

I have several of the oldies that you mentioned on my to watch list. The killer inside of me, eh? I don't know if it is possible for it to be as graphic as Cannibal Holocaust. I wouldn't even classify that as an indie film, it is closer to obscenity, but if you are looking for the most boundary pushing movie on earth, well, you have been warned. I will put it this way, I could not finish it. It is the only movie I could not finish.

Cormac McCarthy's books are at the top of my to read list. I just got out of my whole Post war Dystopia phase, reading books like Animal Farm, 1984, and Brave new world, and I need a new project. He seems like a good starting place.

TC studied literature. I knew you were a bright guy. By the time I graduated from college I had enough lit credits for two separate lit degrees. I loved my seven years of college. LOL.

Once Were Warriors. Saw it and read it. Great stuff, powerful and so moving. The wife in the film was fantastic. FWIW, True Grit was a massive bestseller. In 1968 I believe. Reprtedly the dialog in the Coen film comes right from the book.

I'm not a fan of Brett Easton Ellis. I'm not so sure the guy actually even killed anybody, but was actually nuts and all that crap took place in his mind. Several of the murders make no sense, and there is no way he could have cleaned up before his maid came in. Of course I read it when it came out, which is many moons ago.

I suggest reading No Country for Old Men, as well as The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I've not seen the first, but the second is a pretty good movie, too. The book is spellbinding, and McCarthy should someday win the Nobel Prize for Literature.

Aggro, if you like indie films, which often have better atmosphere and dialog than big budget movies, you need to watch the film noir/crime films of the 40's, 50's and 60's. I also suggest you read those type of books. Big Jim Thompson, David Goodis, Charles Willeford, Frederic Brown, and on and on. Many of the books were reprinted by Black Lizard Press in the 1980s.

Many of these were made into movies. The Big Jim Thompson books were made into some fantastic films including The Getaway with Steve McQueen, The Grifters, and most recently an unbelievably violent and intense film The Killer Inside Me. I'm not sure you should even watch that at your age.

Here's a list of the novels. You can check which have been made into films with a little Googling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Lizard

Any film buff should know his way around all the Bogart crime/private eye movies. To say films like The Big Sleep and The Maltese Falcon are timeless is selling them short. Also look for any crime movie starring Sterling Hayden. Can't miss with those, especially The Asphalt Jungle.

You're young, get started now, there's lifetimes of good stuff out there.

Kevin

What do mean by "indie" movies? Because most of those movies are not independent films.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

You are right. I never claimed they had to be, however. I love indie films, but for that list I chose films that, while not exactly indie, with the exception of Hard Candy, are still under the radar for most Americans. Princess Mononoke, while a big release in Japan, is relatively unknown to American audiences, because Japanese animation is often discredited here, which is a travesty. American Psycho is another film that isn't hugely popular or well know, despite having a very famous lead actor.

Almost Famous, while it recieved rave reviews, was a box office flop. I had to include it, because, in my opinion, it is one of the best, if not the best movie of this decade.

The list is a couple of accessable films that can be easily found on Netflix or at Movie Gallary for rental, or on TV. I could have made a list full of movies like Cannibal Holocaust and But I'm a Cheerleader, but nobody here could relate to them, as they are very difficult to find.

What do mean by "indie" movies? Because most of those movies are not independent films.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

The list is a couple of accessable films that can be easily found on Netflix or at Movie Gallary for rental, or on TV. I could have made a list full of movies like Cannibal Holocaust and But I'm a Cheerleader, but nobody here could relate to them, as they are very difficult to find.

Like They Call Her One Eye or Carnival of Souls. I never tried to discredit your list, for the sake of discussion, I wanted to know what classified as 'indie'. I actually think that Death Proof is a lot better movie than it gets credit for.

I understand. I would classify indie as small budget, small release, with relatively unknown actors. Tends to push more boundary's than big budget flicks.

Like They Call Her One Eye or Carnival of Souls. I never tried to discredit your list, for the sake of discussion, I wanted to know what classified as 'indie'. I actually think that Death Proof is a lot better movie than it gets credit for.

I recently watched Garden State again, I forgot how good that movie actually was.

Haven't seen it.

If I had to watch one indie film, it would be Pi. Great, thought provoking film.
I recently watched Garden State again, I forgot how good that movie actually was.

Back