Finally got a Netbook

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
JB, as a computer guy, i strongly suggest that you uninstall all that crap that Acer puts on that lappy. either that or reformat it and just install XP by itself, and get the drivers you need(video,sound,lan) from the website. that'll make it a much more happier,snappier machine. all that stuff that starts up when you boot up just taxes your resources.

after all, we buy laptops for their hardware features, not the software.

+1 NVM. I did that exact thing when we got our Dell laptop. And even when you uncheck the box saying you want them to put it on, they do it anyway! My wife wanted to play with the laptop for a little while first, so I let her use it for a day before I fixed it! I just want what I want on my computers, not what THEY want.

• Admin
NVM,
This thing came with virtually no garbage whatsoever. It was great. Added the max ram this morning at 1.5 and this thing purrs along.

As for the screen size. I use a 20" desktop while working. And I have a 15" Macbook Pro, but this one for travel is fabulous.

Any chance you can post a review on this? At that price (and especially if I can find it cheaper!) I may just have to try one of these out!

• Admin
Absolutely. But I can tell you this so far. 24 hours with the device and we are going to get another one for Golfer Gal. For internet, email and basic computing, this device is fantastic.

JB, as a computer guy, i strongly suggest that you uninstall all that crap that Acer puts on that lappy. either that or reformat it and just install XP by itself, and get the drivers you need(video,sound,lan) from the website. that'll make it a much more happier,snappier machine. all that stuff that starts up when you boot up just taxes your resources.

after all, we buy laptops for their hardware features, not the software.

I'm curious about this, Mike. Hubby has an Acer Travelmate, and I like it (though all that startup stuff is annoying). I'm sort of in the market myself and thought I'd get one as well. My IT guy ought to be able to handle this, right?

childsplay. there's many work arounds, like preventing the unwanted services from initiating @ startup, uninstalling the crapola,one by one, or the best method,fresh format/install of the stand alone OS.

2 Days and I am in love with this thing. With 1.5 gb running XP, the thing purrs. Small screen but weighing right around 2 lbs, is great.

So 6 days with this thing and I absolutely love it. Rarely has an impulse buy still had this kind of succes with me, but this thing is great. Golfer Gal is getting one this weekend.

Back