Finally had an "epiphany moment" at the range.

MetroCat

Reaction score
Started really concentrating on taking the club straight back about 2-3 feet in the very beginning of my backswing. The ball is now more consistently flying straighter off the tee than ever before.

Not gonna question it, just gonna work with it.

ETA: Well a little googling is showing that this is not a good idea. Hmmm, well I'll see how the next range trip works out.

The Worst Swing Tip Ever

Last edited:
I have always used the "one piece take away" when starting my back swing.

The club head does travel straight back at first, and as my shoulders start to turn, that starts my up swing, wrist cock, and right elbow bend. From there to the top, just before the start of the down swing, everything is pretty much automatic.

It depends on how far you take it straight back. It does make sense if you are sweeping the club too far inside or keeping too far outside.

I think I have had 32,000 of those moments on the range haha.
Hope this one stays good for you

I have always used the "one piece take away" when starting my back swing.

The club head does travel straight back at first, and as my shoulders start to turn, that starts my up swing, wrist cock, and right elbow bend. From there to the top, just before the start of the down swing, everything is pretty much automatic.
Just watched a vid on that and that might be what I was doing. Unfortunately this "epiphany" I had was in the last 15 or so balls of my bucket so I'll have to work on this next week.

I think the term straight back is open to interpretation. The thought helps me with width, but technically it’s not going straight back, more of a feel that it is.

Started really concentrating on taking the club straight back about 2-3 feet in the very beginning of my backswing. The ball is now more consistently flying straighter off the tee than ever before.

Not gonna question it, just gonna work with it.

ETA: Well a little googling is showing that this is not a good idea. Hmmm, well I'll see how the next range trip works out.

The Worst Swing Tip Ever

From a true YouTube, google and in person lesson junkie, here's a little advice: don't follow all the rules. Don't follow all the Internet instruction. If it is in the ballpark of correct and is working for you, stick with it!

I think one of the best things I ever read for a one-piece, parallel takeaway was the railroad tracks example. Clubhead and hands move together on the tracks. Not sure about 2-3 feet but maybe 10-12"...

I think I have had 32,000 of those moments on the range haha.
Geez, you took the words right out of my mouth. I had many, many of those moments, on the range or in my back yard. More often than not they turned out to be a non-replicable flukes.

I've found a more-or-less one-piece take-away, as described by @WLG1952, works well for me when I get it right.

For me trying to start straight back doesn’t feel natural, I prefer to think of the takeaway as low and slow. There is an old video of Mickey Wright demonstrating the start of the takeaway to Gene Sarazen, I don’t use a tee but, keeping my takeaway low and slow was an epiphany for me.

Link: https://golf.com/instruction/driving/mickey-wright-golf-swing-video-tip/

... keeping my takeaway low and slow was an epiphany for me.
Y'know, you may have just hit upon the root of my problems yesterday.

I recall when my drives off the tee started improving a couple weeks back, and I distinctly recall noticing I was taking my swing back low and slow, and pausing ever so briefly at the top. It felt kind of weird, but it worked. So I kept doing it.

I don't think I was doing that at all, yesterday, which leads me to suspect I was probably back to rushing both my back-swing and my down-swing.

Yeah Blade Man and DaDuck Boys, you're right. Technically there's no way due to the plane of the swing to go straight back that far. Just a few inches feels a lot further. Like I said though I think what I am doing is that one piece takeaway and it seems to be working.

Let's see video, curious if what you feel is what you're supposed to be doing, or if your athleticism is helping you hit the ball better. Two very different things!

My epiphany was that I THOUGHT I was not coming over the top with my driver and couldn't figure out why I was still fading and slicing on certain holes. Once I focused on keeping my right shoulder low my drives started straightening out again.

My epiphany was that I THOUGHT I was not coming over the top with my driver and couldn't figure out why I was still fading and slicing on certain holes. Once I focused on keeping my right shoulder low my drives started straightening out again.
The trouble with golf epiphany's is remembering the epiphany's.

Back