Finding a good swing coach

hackertom

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm looking to improve my game this off season and I think that everyone would agree that it's best to invest some time and money in lessons. Does anyone have any recommendations on finding a good swing coach to work with? Is it important to work with someone who is a member of the PGA, or is that overrated? What is a reasonable price to pay for a half-hour or hour long lesson?

Thanks in andvance for the tips!

I enjoyed my time with GolfTEC and continue to. I enjoyed the video and both GolferGal and myself had a great learning experience on separate occasions.

Best advice I can give you is to find somebody and talk to his students. Maybe hit balls at a range where he is teaching so you can see him in action. The thing is that you'll want somebody that sort of speaks your language and it's not easy to do that out of a phonebook.

I think $40-45 per half hour lesson is pretty common around here.

I think it's important to find someone you have confidence in, you get a long with and has a good reputation and happy students. Sometimes it boils down to who's closest but you need to be comfortable as well.

Where do you live? Find the better golfers (college team?) and ask them who their teacher is.

Just had a swing eval. with GolfTEC on sunday. It was very informative and real eye-opener. Very good experience. If you have one near you I'd check'em out.

One thing to consider, a lot of teaching pros will do "package lessons" and this gives you a little discount on the price. Make sure you find a teaching pro you like first before you invest in the packages. I would think that after 1 or 2 lessons you should be able to know for sure if you and the teacher are on the same page.

I enjoyed my time with GolfTEC and continue to. I enjoyed the video and both GolferGal and myself had a great learning experience on separate occasions.

Just did a swing evaluation today. Nice to have and improvement plan already and homework to do (stance is great but after that it all goes wrong) just from the evaluation. The instructor was an excellent communicator and I have video of what I need to work on before my first lesson even.

Its the in bay practice time that sold me on lessons. Having the video and everything there so you can repeat what you are learning and ingrain it rather than going to a range and going back to your old habits should help speed improvement.

Yes , where do you live? You have Sparty as your avatar like me... MSU has a few dynamic coaches, one in particular that has helped me tremendously. Unbelievable how he has opened my eyes to a better swing...we are definitely speaking the same language.

I think it's important to find someone you have confidence in, you get a long with and has a good reputation and happy students. Sometimes it boils down to who's closest but you need to be comfortable as well.

So very true, if money is a non issue look up the closest teacher to you that is in the top 100 rated teachers in america and go to one of them! It does not mean your going to walk away a better golfer then going to just a normal instructor though! it is all abought who you feel comfortable with!

Well, most of them will be PGA, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. In fact, I'd be shocked if you found a swing coach who wasn't PGA.

The instructor I like is a head pro, and he charges 120 for 3 lessons, about 30-45 minutes each. Or $50 for one thirty minute lesson, or $80 for one hour lesson. These are midwest prices.

~Rock

Old post, but curious if you (or others) had any reservations or regrets going with GolfTec since they are indoors vs. using an instructor on a range?

Back