Finding Motivation to Improve

Johan185

SoCal, KiteSurfer, Golf Enthusiasts
Reaction score
Handicap
Am I the only one?

Is the battle to improve our golf game an endless struggle?

Does it always feel like you are working for hours on end without seeing any results?

Are the Highs few and far between? Compared to the occasional Eureka moments when it all starts coming together and you achieve a new milestone.

Before you are back where you started facing another uphill climb?:drinks::facepalm::banghead::drinks:

Lately I’ve been going in the wrong direction. I believe it’s due to lack of practice. Most my free time has been devoted to getting the lake house ready to sell. I need to get back to trying to develop a routine for a consistent swing.

Am I the only one?

Does it always feel like you are working for hours on end without seeing any results?

Are the Highs few and far between? Compared to the occasional Eureka moments when it all starts coming together and you achieve a new milestone.

Before you are back where you started facing another uphill climb?:drinks::facepalm::banghead::drinks:
I do believe it might be an endless struggle for some of us and at my age, I have to realize I can only do so much to improve. It isn't like I am going to have a constant swing over 100 mph or anything, so there are certain levels that I have to accept.

Being a high capper, I used to feel like there would never be any results, but what I have been doing lately has truly changed that and I am seeing results. Maybe not mind numbing, but certainly worthwhile. To me any saved strokes on my game are wonderful.

I stopped practicing things that simply were not working for me. Hitting hundreds of range balls only wasted my time. and wished I had of done it differently. Now I evaluate what my weaknesses are and practice improving those things. I set up chipping/pitching stations at home divided by 10 yard increments. I practice on the range by making sure I am constantly switching clubs like I would do on the course.

I was even able to increase my swing speed, which astounded me because I did not think I could. I have done many different purpose driven practices that have helped me tremendously. I am also thinking much more about course strategy and not taking so many risk shots. The last couple times I played I saved a minimum of two holes by not taking risky shots. I am sure they would have turned into blowup holes had I took the risk.

At least now, I finally feel like there are small goals I can reach.

I thought I would improve after I retired and played/practiced more but my index actually crept up last June, July, August. I found something on the range at the end of August and played my best golf in a few years last fall before our season abruptly ended in October due to weather. Hope springs eternal and the layoff over the winter always has me optimistic this time of year that I can improve. :)

I think improvements come faster at higher handicaps then lower of course but it also comes in spurts. I feel like I suddenly get a couple things to click and have great improvement and then I get stuck for a little while at the same place. After some time, and lessons, I will see some more improvements.

Constant battle but that's why I love the game. "A game that is meant to be played, never won."

We golfers must share a gene for liking punishment. The challenge pipe dream of getting better is one of the primary reasons I love golf. It is a never ending learning curve and continuous uphill climb. That works for me. Grind on ...

I have been playing in a small money game on Sundays for a while and it is done by points 2 for par, 4 for birdie, 0 for bogie so just the added pressure to do better is motivation for me. I seem to have a good run going and then just throw away some holes to be out of the money. I need to make at least 24 points to be in it and yesterday had 23...missed putts cost.

For me, I want to play more than practice. When I do practice, when I find improvement on something, I don’t take more time to really grove it. I move on to something else or, more like it, I go to the course and don’t revisit the improvement until it has returned to its previous problem status.

I golf for the relaxation, excercise and, enjoyment of the game. If I felt it was a large struggle and let it get to my head you could throw out the relaxation and enjoyment part of the equation. Don't get me wrong, I am always looking to improve but it's not the driving force behind me playing. Just take it as it comes and enjoy all the moments on the course or range and when the eureka moments come, savor them and move on. ?

Am I the only one?

If one's focus is on address technique fundamentals then productive day-to-day swing and ball striking consistency naturally happens, without having to think about it. This is why Tour pros rely on address technique fundamentals. This is why competent instructors focus on address technique fundamentals (grip-posture-alignment).
Anything else is a band-aid and, or, "quick fix tip" which does not yield productive long term results.
For example, I believe faulty grip technique is the primary reason 98% of amateur players struggle with ball striking consistency. Any player shooting in the 80's, 90's or 100's can get a whole lot better simply by improving their grip technique.

like so many things improvement takes monumental effort. relax for a moment and weeks of prep are gone...…...Poooof

I try to remind myself that progress as a whole is rarely linear, and can and should get progressively harder, so I have to just enjoy things along the way.

I have a another lesson scheduled for wed...I'll probably do well DURING the lesson then blow chunks on the course...I am really trying to get better enough so that I can go out and consistently score "well enough"...but "well enough" is probably a moving target that will continue to confound me when I don't play well. IDK where I'm going with this.

Last edited:

I think a big problem with amateur golfers is that they set their goal to high. They see "PGA Joe Pro" making the game look easy, and figure no problem.

Then, several weeks/months down their fairways, their own golf reality finally sets in.

Everyone's effort to get better, will be challenged in this game. The better one gets, the tougher it is to improve.

My current issue (challenge) is just trying to maintain what I have, while the inevitable deterioration is taking place.

Golf is tough game, that no one will ever conquer.

Last edited:
Am I the only one?

There's always something in a round that keeps you coming back for more, I've put so much effort in to the game in the last 12-18 months and just shot my worst round ever! I know it will come good that's why we love golf.

Am I the only one? haha Nope!

Is the battle to improve our golf game an endless struggle? Yes

Does it always feel like you are working for hours on end without seeing any results? Not always, but the majority of the time

Are the Highs few and far between? Compared to the occasional Eureka moments when it all starts coming together and you achieve a new milestone. Yep. The valleys are long and deep compared to the peaks!

I guess I'm lucky in that I don't start over anymore, just always seem to be trying to find what I had "the other day".

Oh I want to improve, but sometimes the though of taking more lessons turns my stomach. I would rather just play and enjoy it for what it is.

I think improvements come faster at higher handicaps then lower of course but it also comes in spurts. I feel like I suddenly get a couple things to click and have great improvement and then I get stuck for a little while at the same place. After some time, and lessons, I will see some more improvements.
I would agree with this. I feel like I will have a short period where things will be really clicking and then will fall back a little bit. Then I may get a few things clicking and fall back a little bit. Overall though I feel like whenever I fall back its less and less each time and my overall consistency even when I'm struggling is better.

The advantage to starting high is you can only go lower. I enjoy trying to lower my scores every time I go out. I don't necessarily lower my score, but I try and take away the positives, like GIR, driver bombs, and long putts made. I also will mix things up with new equipment when I am in a rut, just to get me to want to try again.

I live in Canada so in summer I;
-go to the range or practice green every lunch hour
-go to range or practice green or both before every round if possible
-read golf books/theory or watch golf videos at coffee
-play 100 rounds during our short season, 9 holes after work almost every day.
-take lessons about every 3 weeks
-thp

in winter I;
-hit a min. of 125 balls/day on my gc2 (skytrak previously) launch monitor at the range
-go to range on gc2 before every round
-play on the OGT which plays pga events weekly. I'll play roughly 4-5 rounds through that a week
-play scrambles with buddies, local and online with gc2 and JNPG
-read golf books/theory or watch golf videos at coffee
-work with coach at golf dome about once a month
-thp

I've pretty much done the same thing for the past 2 years, and a little less intense the 5 years before that. I have went from shooting 95-120 to 74-90 and its taken me about 7 years to accomplish that. Handicap is 8.8 presently, and my instructor thinks with work I can get to a 5 this season with the improvements in my swing I've made.
Golf is hard! But the payoff is so worth it. Seeing a booming drive rather than a 90 yard slice.. worth it. Hitting the green from 240 out... worth it. Being one of the last guys people would ask to be a scramble partner to being one of the first asked... worth it!
I don't know if that motivates you or not, but it shows that improvement can happen, and with golf a lot of the time it's slow.
Good luck with your journey!

My motivation to improve is currently playing much worse than I know I'm capable of, and have before. I need to practice regularly, and the course I'm a member at has a pretty trash range and even worse range balls. Not financially viable to be a member there and have to go pay to practice at another course, especially at $6 for a small bag of balls.

When practice facilities are close by, it doesn't take much motivation. Further away and it definitely does require more motivation..

Back