Finishing good rounds!

Some very good advice here. I think we can all suffer from this.

I like the trick of breaking the round down into manageable chunks. For instance, I like to break the last 6 holes down into 2 chunks of 3. I'll try to go 3 pars in a row, then move on to the next chunk. You can do this hole by hole, if you focus. Even shot by shot. Helps stop you getting too far ahead.

The main bit of advice I'd give would echo that just above - routine. Obviously practice will help you build a more repeatable swing, but I'd say focus on building a solid pre and post shot routine, and stick to it, no matter what. Always take the same steps before the shot, and take the same time preparing for the shot.

I think that the easiest mistake to make is to look ahead to the finish and forget that you still have the shot right in front of you. Like any other time in the round, you have to be in the moment (I hate that phrase, but it fits here), not looking toward the end. Stay in your routine, don't start taking longer than normal as that just increases tension and pressure. Don't rush the shot either. If you need to tick things off from a mental checklist then do so, but you have to keep your normal routine. This is just as true when things are going well as it is when they aren't.

I've found myself in the pursuit to break par as well. I shot a 74 4 times in 2010 and in every one of those rounds, if it weren't for one or two shots, I could've done it.

There's some great advice in this thread and I do a lot similar to what paulo does, ie, breaking my round down into smaller rounds. I like to play 3 6's. I'm a notorious bad starter, so it's not the finishing that gets me, rather the starting. It's something I'm trying to work on. I think it's easier to squander the 1st hole or two b/c we can say things like "i'm not loose yet" or "i'm not warmed up yet" hahaha. I tend to get rolling after the first couple of holes myself.

I find the worst thing I can do for my game is when I approach the shot and think about it at all. I find if I just trust my initial judgement & club selection at the bag, then just line up and hit the ball I do much better. This also goes with overthinking my swing before doing it.

Golf Digest had an article about it a few months ago. I would have to say that some of it is energy, and some of it is mental. Make sure to hydrate and eat something during the round.

I figured I would bring this thread back from the grave.

I was talking about this last night with Nerfny. My last few rounds have been good, until it comes time to finish them off. The other night I was sitting at +2 after 8 holes and then walked off the course after a rather large number on the final hole, that included 2 balls OB. Then last night I was +2 with the final 2 holes to go. I had been hitting the ball well and coming off of 3 straight pars. Sure enough I grab a 3 putt from 20 feet, and then put my drive in a hazard on 18 and end with a triple. So for the night I was 6 over, with +4 on the last 2 holes. It's just been happening a lot lately and it's pretty frustrating to say the least.

I hear that, deano. I have to put up a good score on my front nine because I almost always piss away the back nine. I try so hard not to think about what I am on track to score, but I can't stop myself eventually.

I figured I would bring this thread back from the grave.

I was talking about this last night with Nerfny. My last few rounds have been good, until it comes time to finish them off. The other night I was sitting at +2 after 8 holes and then walked off the course after a rather large number on the final hole, that included 2 balls OB. Then last night I was +2 with the final 2 holes to go. I had been hitting the ball well and coming off of 3 straight pars. Sure enough I grab a 3 putt from 20 feet, and then put my drive in a hazard on 18 and end with a triple. So for the night I was 6 over, with +4 on the last 2 holes. It's just been happening a lot lately and it's pretty frustrating to say the least.

I usually tank when I know where I stand, so I try not to know at any time what my score is, that way I dont "press" on the last hole

Pick a really specific target off the tee. Make a practice swing or two really focusing on that target. Then swing at it. Don't be skittish because you're trying to stay out of trouble. Take an aggressive swing at that target. I suppose all shots should be like that, but the mind will wander to what might be as you near the last. On the approach, stay away from sucker pins and bunkers. Hit it in there to 18-20' and make your par. Taake your 38 and go home with Momma.

Kevin

I usually tank when I know where I stand, so I try not to know at any time what my score is, that way I dont "press" on the last hole

^ I'm like this. I try not to mentally track my score or add it up during the round at any point. Once I know I tend to put pressure on myself to reach a specific #, (<90, <85, etc...). I just try to keep playing smart golf, one shot at a time.

Last month I was playing Ka'anapali on Maui from the Blue tees a few days after the Senior Skins Game was there. I started with a double on one, bogey on two, but then birdied 3 of the next 6 holes. Made the turn at 1 over and was 2 over through 14. I started thinking, "I am on pace for a career round on a Championship course". I really felt tried not to think about it too much, but doubled 15, par on 16. Bombed a drive on 17 and had 110 over water. Hit a 50 degree wedge fat into the water, (rarely hit it fat like that), and ended 17 with double. Ended the round shooting an dissapointing 80. In the clubhouse, I couldn't help but think the reason I finished like that was the pressure I put on myself to "finish strong". This isn't the first time this has happened to me. I guess I am wondering a few of things:

1. How do I avoid doing this?
2. Do others have problems like this?
3. Is it all mental? HAHA

I do this all the time. In fact, my career round was in a shotgun tournament where I didn't keep my own score, and because I started on hole 5 I didn't have a great idea exactly what my score was for the last few holes (I was -3 on holes 5 thru 9 which helped - but didn't realize it until after the round). I wish I had memory loss after each hole... because in rounds when I am playing well I generally start to do the opposite of why I was playing well in the first place.

Last month I was playing Ka'anapali on Maui from the Blue tees a few days after the Senior Skins Game was there. I started with a double on one, bogey on two, but then birdied 3 of the next 6 holes. Made the turn at 1 over and was 2 over through 14. I started thinking, "I am on pace for a career round on a Championship course". I really felt tried not to think about it too much, but doubled 15, par on 16. Bombed a drive on 17 and had 110 over water. Hit a 50 degree wedge fat into the water, (rarely hit it fat like that), and ended 17 with double. Ended the round shooting an dissapointing 80. In the clubhouse, I couldn't help but think the reason I finished like that was the pressure I put on myself to "finish strong". This isn't the first time this has happened to me. I guess I am wondering a few of things:

1. How do I avoid doing this?
2. Do others have problems like this?
3. Is it all mental? HAHA

Don't feel bad. I did the same think at Poipu the day after the Grand Slam (when they use to have it there). I shot even par front 9 thinking the same exact thing as you. Then I bogey 10, par 11, double 12, and it was down hill from there. Decided to just enjoy the view :D

I told myself next time to not get hung up in the moment. Take it shot by shot and enjoy. I find myself if I'm not enjoying and having fun, I get tense and start pressing. If I find myself in that situation, to try and enjoy the sceneary wherever I am. The golf course by nature is just beautiful. As Karl Malone once said "a golf course is a waste of pasture". Which it is if we don't enjoy it and all we are doing is hacking it up.

Another way I get focused is something I took from the Bagger Vance book and movie. There is a scene where Bagger is explaining to Jonah how Bobby gets in "zone"(forget the exact word right now). Watching Bobby's demeanor and focus. Turning on the switch. The book has a slightly different way of explaining it but taking those mental tidbits helped my game. A good real life example was Fuzzy. He would joke with the crowd and you could see the switch turn on when it was time to hit. I need to reread the book cuz I could really use it after yesterdays round. IMO, the Bagger Vance book has some great golf psychology on how approach the game. Sounds crazy, but it works for me.

Sent from my PG41200 using Tapatalk 2

Fitting I see this thread......was +3 last Saturday going into the 15th hole. Hit a poor drive off the tee but found it and had a decent shot to the green from the rough. Hit the 2nd a bit fat and wound up about 20yds short of the green directly up against the trunk of a tree. I doubled the hole. +5

16th hole I hit a decent shot to the par 3 but wrong sided myself on a severe sloping green. 3 putted for another double bogey. +7

I finished a bit stronger going birdie then par to finish +6 but I was kicking myself for my brain farts on those 2 holes at the end. Wanted those back badly.

Great thread to revive. In my monday qualifier I was sitting at 78 going to the final hole. Pulled out driver on a 408 yard par 4(regretted the decision as I hit it out of bounds) and then pulled 4 iron like I should have done. I finished with an 81 and still qualified but yet I made a silly decision and thankfully I learned from it. I hit a good drive just got alittle unlucky but I'm glad I read through this thread!

Great thread to revive. In my monday qualifier I was sitting at 78 going to the final hole. Pulled out driver on a 408 yard par 4(regretted the decision as I hit it out of bounds) and then pulled 4 iron like I should have done. I finished with an 81 and still qualified but yet I made a silly decision and thankfully I learned from it. I hit a good drive just got alittle unlucky but I'm glad I read through this thread!
That's tough there. Did you know you were in good position if you parred the hole? if so, then maybe the 4 iron would have been good. If not, then driver might have still been the right call? You played to win!

I try to make 'agreements' with myself. In my best tournament this season, my game felt the worst. So, I made an agreement with myself. Yes, it was a schizo as it sounds - I laid out a plan and it basically was
- I will trust my line and alignment on every shot. Sometimes this is an issue, especially on the greens.
- I will commit to every shot with the mindset that whatever happens (sticking it close, OB, water, missed green) I'm OK with it.

That was basically it and it freed me up to put together good scores despite playing rather poorly. My mindset was good = success.

I try to make 'agreements' with myself. In my best tournament this season, my game felt the worst. So, I made an agreement with myself. Yes, it was a schizo as it sounds - I laid out a plan and it basically was
- I will trust my line and alignment on every shot. Sometimes this is an issue, especially on the greens.
- I will commit to every shot with the mindset that whatever happens (sticking it close, OB, water, missed green) I'm OK with it.

That was basically it and it freed me up to put together good scores despite playing rather poorly. My mindset was good = success.

You sound like Dr. Bob!!

That's OK though he has it right. I was reading a recent issues of a golf magazine and there was a article about Tony Jacklin. He quoted Jack Nicklaus as saying to him once to "look around at all these guys. 99% of them will never win a major because they are not mentally tough enough too."

Not thinking about scores and being ok with what happens are great things if you are mentally tough enough to do them. Letting yourself shoot low scores is another thing. Sometimes your brain rebels and says you can't play this well and you stop playing well.

So far this year I know I am guilty of lots of mental breakdowns. It takes time and practice and discipline to get your head to where you need it to play well.

You sound like Dr. Bob!!

I may or may not have consulted his scripture once or twice. There're lots of good tips to be had in his books.

Back