First Contact. A Question.

I was watching "how the universe works" last night... "with new evidence"... and it's the same stuff I've heard over the years. One scientist/astrophysicist/whatever was saying "there's no BIG BANG! There was never a BIG BANG! There's no center for everything to have stemmed from for a BIG BANG! Everything is equidistant from everything else so that means there's no BIG BANG!" and yet, the very next thing they stated was that everything started with a BIG BANG.

How can there not be a big bang that started it all, if the universe is expanding continuously and accelerating while it is expanding?:unsure:

Good question. Do I think we'll be around? Ugh. Tough call. Human being seem to have a knack for self-destruction and I could easily seeing us wipe ourselves out by war or by spoiling the natural resources of the Earth long before we have mastered space travel to the point where we would either live in space or simply move to a new planet (of which we havent even discovered yet). I certainly hope we would still be around and I hope at some point, as a whole we will wake up to the harmful things we are doing to our home and how we dont really have anywhere else to go and will change our ways but I havent seen it yet. When you politicize truth and science, its not a good thing.
Do I think it will be signigigant? Absolutely. I do think that if we were to meet extraterrestrial life, it would be a moment that would change the course of humanity forever. The only question is how would it change it. Would it make us see our place in the universe as part of something larger and that we dont own the universe, like we think we do now or would it make us more protectionist and militaristic, thinking that we needed to be ready for invaders and to protect the Earth? Id like to believe it would be the former but I fear it would be the latter. Thats why ever alien movie that you see, the aliens are always invaders who want to kill us. IMO, it says much more about human nature than it does about aliens.
Think about this though: if you were an alien who was a space explorer and came upon Earth and lets say you decided to just surveil us for a while. Lets say you could listen to human radio signals, watch human TV, maybe check out our internet a bit and saw all the things that we were talking about, watched tv and kind of took our temperature, so to speak. Would you want to make first contact with us or would you decide that we werent worth your time and would simply move on?
Ive heard some who claim that maybe aliens have already been in contact with us and have decided that maybe we simply arent ready for that yet and then are waiting until we evolve more as a species. Im not saying that I buy that but its an interesting theory.

Back