First Contact. A Question.

I think its a situation of when will someone contact us. Our tech isn't advanced enough to be the searching tech. We'll need to be found by someone else instead. But it's plausible. Also Dragon's Milk is deliciously dangerous.

I don't disagree with you, buy if love for you to elaborate.
The Fermi Paradox gets answered

Are we alone? We've been asking that ever since we tilted our heads back and looked at the sky.

Even microbial carbon-based lifeforms will all but assure that somewhere out there is sentient intelligent life.

I am convinced all these shows about aliens and the government leaking videos and documents is being set in order to prepare us for something big. And I think it will happen within our lifetime. What “it” is I have no idea.
Seeing what is happening during this Corona outbreak is a scary thought as to what might actually happen if/when visitors ever show up. What is even a scarier thought to me is what if ancient alien theory is correct? How will people/governments/organizations react if they find out their whole life has been a lie with regards to god and religion. Stuff is already crazy in the Middle East I pray it doesn’t happen

If we are star dust, then there must be others who are star dust. Where are they?

If the Universe came from nothing, what was before the Big Bang? If this is a simulation, who created the simulation? Who created the creator? If God created the heavens and the Earth, who created God? These are all the same question with different words.

Just based on numbers I don't think it will ever happen. We are so far aware from everything in our Milky Way Galaxy that we can't even imagine that it would be possible to travel within it. Traveling outside the Milky Way is a pipe dream IMO. We can look out into a night sky and only see a handful of things are not stars in the Milky Way. Also given the abundance of life that has lived on our planet that only produced one creature capable of civilizing itself I think we may be more advanced than we imagine we are.

Do I believe, Don't know. Have i ever ask this question n my head, Yes. just as many times as someone has said is there life more advanced than us, i ask , " Why not"? but then again, why can't we be the most advanced too? Don't think we can answer any of these questions until we can figure out travel with ease and light speed travel....

Last edited:
I am convinced all these shows about aliens and the government leaking videos and documents is being set in order to prepare us for something big. And I think it will happen within our lifetime. What “it” is I have no idea.
Seeing what is happening during this Corona outbreak is a scary thought as to what might actually happen if/when visitors ever show up. What is even a scarier thought to me is what if ancient alien theory is correct? How will people/governments/organizations react if they find out their whole life has been a lie with regards to god and religion. Stuff is already crazy in the Middle East I pray it doesn’t happen
My sincerest hope, is if this were to happen, conflicting religions would lay down their arms and come together to come up with some kind of new origin story. If everyone is a part of it, and it happens all over the world, people should be able to agree.

Just based on numbers I don't think it will ever happen. We are so far aware from everything in our Milky Way Galaxy that we can't even imagine that it would be possible to travel within it. Traveling outside the Milky Way is a pipe dream IMO. We can look out into a night sky and only see a handful of things are not stars in the Milky Way. Also given the abundance of life that has lived on our planet that only produced one creature capable of civilizing itself I think we may be more advanced than we imagine we are.

This is an interesting argument. I don't believe scientific discovery is necessarily a slow evolution. Discovery seems to happen in leaps and bounds. I mean, use comic books as a way to put accidental discovery into layman's terms: Some kind of funky accident turns someone superhuman. I don't believe there is any reason to rule out accidental discovery as a means to managing FTL travel, or other things of the sort.

The same things can be said for just about anything, and have happened so many times in our past. Look at microwave ovens, X rays, and teflon. All of those were accidents and have changed our lives significantly.

To think that we are alone - or that there isn’t intelligent life elsewhere - in the universe is incredibly ignorant and arrogant.
This has always been my opinion as well.

I think its a situation of when will someone contact us. Our tech isn't advanced enough to be the searching tech. We'll need to be found by someone else instead. But it's plausible. Also Dragon's Milk is deliciously dangerous.
I know some theorize that, the reason we're not hearing other civilizations in the radio telescope arrays we listen to is because they're intentionally being silent... because they know there's someone out there that listens and threatens all civilizations.

I know some theorize that, the reason we're not hearing other civilizations in the radio telescope arrays we listen to is because they're intentionally being silent... because they know there's someone out there that listens and threatens all civilizations.
I actually like the concept behind First Contact, which is why I brought up the topic - For those who haven't seen the film, it suggests that humans are first contacted AFTER showing their capability to reach the universe. Until that point, we are simply too primitive to be ready for such a thing.

I am not expecting any "first contact" in my life time. Nothing announced publicly anyways.

However, I truly believe at some point in the future, planet earth will cease to exists as the only known inhabited planet. The odds are just too much in favor of other inhibited planets being out there.

You look up at the night time sky and look at the millions of stars you see, and the millions more you don't see, you just have to figure we are not alone. Now what those other life forms might look like, I have no idea.

Most of those stars you see are suns, with their own galaxies of planets, and debris orbiting around them.

I read an article a few weeks ago about a planet/sun that blew up, some 400 million years ago. As I was reading the article I was trying to figure out how author of the article knew this happened 400 million years ago. The article went on to state they knew when this happened because it took 400 million years for the flash of the explosion to reach earth's telescopes. Talk about "mind boggling".

I actually like the concept behind First Contact, which is why I brought up the topic - For those who haven't seen the film, it suggests that humans are first contacted AFTER showing their capability to reach the universe. Until that point, we are simply too primitive to be ready for such a thing.
Well, it could be like in a Space Odyssey... "there are many stars in the sky. Stay away from IO" or whatever... and the world governments have made the agreement with aliens...

Or it's like in Star Trek where we're a category 1 planet with primitive non space capable abilities...

Or anything or everything in between.

Do I want it to happen in my lifetime, hell yea. If for no other reason but to run down the list of movies that got it right or wrong. Then again, the way we carelessly blast signals into space there's probably a chance that someone/thing has picked it up, looked our way, and said ohhhhhh HELL no I'm not going there!

My sincerest hope, is if this were to happen, conflicting religions would lay down their arms and come together to come up with some kind of new origin story. If everyone is a part of it, and it happens all over the world, people should be able to agree.
That would be ideal. Sadly, I have little faith in humanity. I think people would lose their $”@& just like that one study from the 40’s or 50’s said (I can’t remember the name). It’ll be the radio broadcast of War of Worlds again. I hope I’m wrong

That would be ideal. Sadly, I have little faith in humanity. I think people would lose their $”@& just like that one study from the 40’s or 50’s said (I can’t remember the name). It’ll be the radio broadcast of War of Worlds again. I hope I’m wrong
You're probably right.

Understated comment.

We have no way of knowing what life can look like, unless we’re only saying that the life must resemble something similar to the varieties found on earth. That said, so much is left up to chance. The right conditions, the right time etc...

Roll a dice, see if you can roll a 1. Now roll the same number 10 times in a row.

Spoiler
0.0000016538% chance of rolling a 1, 10 times in a row.
Somewhere in the originals Cosmos series, Carl Sagan made an interesting case for why extraterrestrial lives very well might evolve into something like us, based on survival needs and the ability to do different things. Forward facing binocular vision, opposable thumbs, the ability to walk upright. Don’t remember the details exactly anymore, but I do remember at the time it made sense.

Somewhere in the originals Cosmos series, Carl Sagan made an interesting case for why extraterrestrial lives very well might evolve into something like us, based on survival needs and the ability to do different things. Forward facing binocular vision, opposable thumbs, the ability to walk upright. Don’t remember the details exactly anymore, but I do remember at the time it made sense.
Agreed, they might evolve into something like us. But they also might not. All of those traits (binocular vision, opposable thumbs etc.) make sense for humans on earth, while perhaps thermo or x-ray vision of some form might be the norm elsewhere.
Super interesting to speculate, and then consider what we can rationalize as humans.
I’ll have to look for that episode, thanks!

I'm pretty confident we will discover life outside our planet in the next 50 years. I'm much less confident we will discover aliens more advanced than us. I'm positive that they are out there just doubtful we make contact by that time.

When you consider the closest galaxy to earth is 25,000 light years away and there are billions of galaxies in the universe. Kind of makes me wonder how many of them are still around.

Didn’t NASA make the announcement a few years ago that they found a meteorite with evidence of extra terrestrial bacteria? So if that is true proof of life outside Earth exists.

Didn’t NASA make the announcement a few years ago that they found a meteorite with evidence of extra terrestrial bacteria? So if that is true proof of life outside Earth exists.
There's also the scientific case as of late for octopi perhaps originating off world some millions of years ago.

"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." Arthur C. Clarke

Back