First day back at school

AndyL0711

I Need To Play Some Golf!!!!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
yes, i know we already started a thread like this but it went political and then got shut down. can we PLEASE KEEP POLITICS OUT OF THIS.

it would be nice to be able to talk about our kids going back to school in this crazy time and share some thoughts on it.

my daughter just started kindergarten yesterday and we are all online. i was hoping for at least a hybrid, half online half at school but they changed it to all online the last second. she was sooooo excited to ride the school bus. i have told her next year we will be back....probably shouldn't have said that but when your 5 year old is crying you say what you need to. all in all she had a good first day. her teacher was very nice and patient with the kids.

what about you???

it seemed like the process went a little smoother today for most kids but my wife did tell me that it look like a couple of kids might have been at some kind of day care. and they were basically left on their own to fend for themselves....that sucks for them. i hope they can get some more help otherwise those kids are going to struggle.

We have been back full time since the 24th of August. We haven’t had to quarantine yet that I know of. There was an all virtual option as well for everyone that wanted it. My kids are enjoying being back in school even wearing a mask. A school in the same county that is quite a bit smaller has had to go hybrid in the Junior and High School level because of covid. I can see our school doing this in the future as well depending how the numbers in our county go.

I’m in Iowa so we are seeing a massive spike right now, but I’m not near a large university town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

today seemed to be a study by yourself day. the teachers left some "homework" on their website and the kids do it themselves. i guess teaching 5 days a week doesn't happen anymore. i feel worse and worse for the kids who are not getting the attention they need right now.

I don't have kids, so I can't speak from experience other than to say that it's got to be tough on the kids. I know when I was a youngster as much as I hated the summer (and the freedom/endless days) being over it was always nice to get back with your friends. Thankfully we have the technology today that allows us to keep our kids safe while still providing access from home, however they lose that social connection with their friends. My heart honestly goes out to anyone with children who has/is/did suffer with the decision on what's best for them and their families.

I don't have kids, so I can't speak from experience other than to say that it's got to be tough on the kids. I know when I was a youngster as much as I hated the summer (and the freedom/endless days) being over it was always nice to get back with your friends. Thankfully we have the technology today that allows us to keep our kids safe while still providing access from home, however they lose that social connection with their friends. My heart honestly goes out to anyone with children who has/is/did suffer with the decision on what's best for them and their families.
Perfectly said

one very cool thing....before class starts they tell every child to get up and say the pledge. And they say "under God" 👍

Its been pretty smooth here, but certainly a far cry from "normal." Our state regulations are pretty bizarre, but the kids seem to be handling it well - probably a lot better than the adults.

one very cool thing....before class starts they tell every child to get up and say the pledge. And they say "under God" 👍
Didn’t you say this was not supposed to get political?

Outside of us being in half days all September, things have gone really well.

I didn't think that was but I get what you are saying. 👍 I was just shocked.
No biggie. I was just amused by it. Honestly I think it’s one of the underlying issues with today‘s division- what one person perceived as completely innocent cam be a major hot button for another. It’s all good.

Packing up the car right now to drive my kid back to college, sophomore at URI. Hope it goes well, he's beyond bored.

Took our kids out of public school to homeschool. Several weeks in and we have no regrets. My son’s reading and writing skills have improved dramatically. My wife is also getting them into other activities to maintain the social aspect of their lives as well.

My kid is an adult, but I have talked to a few parents with school aged children and the parents aren't to thrilled with the efficacy of online learning.

I will say, our district has done an exceptional job getting students (online and in person) equipped during all of this. No one is perfect, but I'm really proud of what we've done for our students. My attitude would be different if I were in the same position as the teachers in other districts in our state or country.

@AndyL0711 Now being a couple of months in how is school going? Has your district reopened to in-person learning? Everyone in your household still excited about school and working hard? We have not regretted our homeschool decision even once although some days I come home from work and Mrs SirShives is doing better than other days. God bless her. Our kids really love the way homeschool is set up and they are able to do plenty of field trips and play dates. Our old school system keeps setting dates to go back to in-person but then moving back the dates. So glad we aren’t dealing with public school right now.

Hows everyone else’s kids fairing?

@AndyL0711 Now being a couple of months in how is school going? Has your district reopened to in-person learning? Everyone in your household still excited about school and working hard? We have not regretted our homeschool decision even once although some days I come home from work and Mrs SirShives is doing better than other days. God bless her. Our kids really love the way homeschool is set up and they are able to do plenty of field trips and play dates. Our old school system keeps setting dates to go back to in-person but then moving back the dates. So glad we aren’t dealing with public school right now.

Hows everyone else’s kids fairing?
it's tough, i think my daughter, being an only child, got very use to being in school (pre-school) with other kids. it gave her something she misses at home and that is being with other kids. she is getting use to being at home with her mom and having school online but she will still say that she wishes she could be there with her friends.

our school district is voting in a couple of weeks to see if we go back to a half in school half online. i know someone on the school board and he said right now the hybrid option is going to pass by 1 vote (it failed last time 7-2)....but of course anything can happen between now and then. i think the big thing on whether it passes or not is that the schools around us all opened back up to hybrids the last couple of weeks. so it is a wait and see how they do virus wise and then we vote. i wish it was up to the people and not some board. it seems the loudest voice is the one that is heard and the people that do not want to open (so scared of the virus) are the ones with the loudest voices.

i am not here to bash anyone that is scared of the virus...you have ever right to be and feel how you do BUT doesn't mean you can control everyone else.

I am curious to hear how other schools in your states are working this fall so far.

Are you hybrid, all virtual, or all in? And what your area numbers are like in positivity percentages?

As Andy said our district votes on November 10th and it’s closer than I would like. A lot of how two or three people will vote depends if we see an uptick over the next two weeks in positive cases. I voted then and will now for parental choice hybrid. Usually, I can sway my fellow board members to one way or the other. Not this time as some are stead fast scared of the virus.

However, I would like to hear how other areas have done.

it's tough, i think my daughter, being an only child, got very use to being in school (pre-school) with other kids. it gave her something she misses at home and that is being with other kids. she is getting use to being at home with her mom and having school online but she will still say that she wishes she could be there with her friends.

our school district is voting in a couple of weeks to see if we go back to a half in school half online. i know someone on the school board and he said right now the hybrid option is going to pass by 1 vote (it failed last time 7-2)....but of course anything can happen between now and then. i think the big thing on whether it passes or not is that the schools around us all opened back up to hybrids the last couple of weeks. so it is a wait and see how they do virus wise and then we vote. i wish it was up to the people and not some board. it seems the loudest voice is the one that is heard and the people that do not want to open (so scared of the virus) are the ones with the loudest voices.

i am not here to bash anyone that is scared of the virus...you have ever right to be and feel how you do BUT doesn't mean you can control everyone else.
Both of my kids (4th and Kindergarten) are the same with regard to friends. My wife has worked to build relationships with a couple of other homeschool families and they do afternoons at the park or play dates at the house. Next week they are headed to the zoo as a group. That part has been vital to our homeschool success so far. Good luck with it all!

Well, it was a good run. We started August 13th and made it to November 10th. 90 days. But today our school is going to online learning till after Thanksgiving. Cases began to grow last week and then some teachers got it this week. All stop. I was thinking that if we made it to Thanksgiving break it would be a win. Almost got there.

Back