First Dish for My New Smoker

Ribs. Ribs. Ribs. Get at it.

Soy meat? Huh? The only Soy I know comes in a sauce.
Ribs are pretty simple too. Simple to make them edible, anyway - it takes more work and experience to make them awesome. Biggest mistake you can make with ribs is not getting them done enough.

So I got the smoker prepped like it said. Tomorrow’s the big day with the recommended Pork Butt choice so I don’t screw up too badly or lose a ton of money in meat.

my ridiculously novice question. The wood chips in my smoker probably burn out in about 1/2 hour. But the pork butt will be in for a good number of hours. Do I only put the chips in to create the smoke the last hour or 2. Or am I literally opening the smoker up every 1/2 hour To add more wood chips. Just making sure I don’t screw this up.

Looking a doing a brisket or ribs for New Years on the Traeger.

So I got the smoker prepped like it said. Tomorrow’s the big day with the recommended Pork Butt choice so I don’t screw up too badly or lose a ton of money in meat.

my ridiculously novice question. The wood chips in my smoker probably burn out in about 1/2 hour. But the pork butt will be in for a good number of hours. Do I only put the chips in to create the smoke the last hour or 2. Or am I literally opening the smoker up every 1/2 hour To add more wood chips. Just making sure I don’t screw this up.
Best time for the smoke is the first couple hours - more smoke flavor sticks while the meat is still cold and moist. Feed it wood chips for the first two hours, then no need to add any more after that. It's always good to err on the side of less rather than more as you're getting the hang of it - you don't want to overdo it and have your meat taste like an ash tray. Over time you'll develop a sense of how much wood you want to get your desired level of smokiness.

First Pork Butt in the smoker. Wish me luck!

IMG_3541.JPG

8EB030F3-685A-4446-ACDF-10272DC14A45.jpeg
thanks for all the tips fellas. Come out great!

Back