First Iron Fitting In Years - What setup am I going to have recommended?

Just_Brad

#GD 2023Legacy #HYFY - JB says "Be a Brad"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
For my 40th birthday on Saturday, the wife has purchased me a fitting at GolfTec. I had to choose between irons or driver. I chose irons, as it was the aspect of my game that really improved last year, and was easily my most consistent swing.

GolfTec here has listed that they carry Callaway, Titleist, Taylor Made, Ping, and Mizuno. While I am using the fitting as more of a research opportunity, than a "I am definitely going to buy these", I am looking forward to the opportunity to hit some clubs that I can't get my hands on in my backwoods little town.

I like my current Wilson Staff C200s, but have always questions if the setup is "perfect" for me. I would like to gain a bit more consistency, and who doesn't want to add more distance if they can without compromising. I am about a 140-150 yd carry with the 7 iron depending on the swing, and driver swing speeds last time in a sim were around 94 mph ish. Some work was done over the season, and iron swing was shortened considerably, and long iron play easily became my favorite part of my game.

I honestly am not set on a specific set that I want/need, and am pretty open to pretty much any/all setups..... well maybe except Taylor Made...... lol.

I want to come away with as much info as I can, so I can really shop over the winter for a deal on the recommended setup.
I would also add, I generally play standard loft/lie/length, really curious if that changes after the fitting.

Just for fun, I thought I would throw it out there, what setups do you think the fitter is going to recommend for me?

Last edited:
Hope you enjoy your birthday present. I hope you find a set of irons that you feel will improve your game.

I think that you can expect some change as far as lie and length.

Probably similar to the C200, but a newer version of that iron group? Enjoy yourself and hit them well!

Dave

That is an awesome gift from your wife! I hope you have a great experience. I can't fathom a guess as to what might come up, but look forward to reading about it.

Do you have any thoughts on your current numbers?

Do you have any thoughts on your current numbers?

I am actually embarassed to say I know nothing about my numbers when it comes to irons. Having hit irons on a monitor maybe 2 times in the past 10 years, I do not have a good baseline to judge any sort of decision on.

I am actually embarassed to say I know nothing about my numbers when it comes to irons. Having hit irons on a monitor maybe 2 times in the past 10 years, I do not have a good baseline to judge any sort of decision on.

Then I am looking forward to following along. You will get some great info.

51 weeks later than originally scheduled, I finally had my fitting!!!

I am a soon to be 41 year old, father of 2 (2.5 yr old and a 3 month old).
Maybe 5-6 rounds this year total. 3 or 4 times at the range.
Used to play more, a lot more. Every night of the week more.
Handicap has fluctuated over the years, but sitting now at an even 10 again.

I went into yesterday's fitting as a completely blank slate. I went in with no brand preference, no head type preference.
I didn't want to exclude anything, and didn't want a pre-conceived notion influencing the results. I honestly haven't hit an iron other than my C200s in over a year

My brand choices at this GOLFTEC location were Taylor Made, Callaway, Ping, and Mizuno. All testing was done with 7 iron heads.

Started with Ping G410, went on to Callaway Apex CF19, and finally Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal.
Also presented were the TM Sim irons, and Callaway Mavrik Max, but we didn't hit either.

After my warmup and baseline swings, the heads were brought out, and I was asked if I had preferences based on look, headshape, finish.
I had none..... wanting to base it solely on performance.

So to start, my Wilson Staff C200, with Regular Flex Aldila Rogue graphite shafts:
Ball Speed: 99 mph
Back Spin: 6755 rpm
Launch: 25.33 degrees
Offline: 8.3 yards
Descent: 49.67 degrees
Distance: 132.7 yards

This was a shocker for me. For years, I had been a "150 yard 7 iron" player. It was the main constant.
I've based all of my yardages off of it. 132.7 yards on the monitor opened my eyes. Wow.

Now the recurring theme of the fitting was trying to get my launch down, and decrease the backspin.
The swing was consistent throughout the entire fitting. Eerily similar. Easy to see a change quickly when there was one.

Ping G410 was first. Stock Graphite in Regular. I thought I hit it well. Launch was higher than we wanted, ballspeed in the 104-105 mph range. Carry around 145.

Callaway Apex next up. Recoils in Regular. I didn't care for as much, performance similar to the G410, but spin and launch were both higher than we were looking for. Same thing. 104mph, similar carry.

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal, Nippon NS Pro Modus Tour 105 R. One swing in, and we knew.
Higher ballspeed. Lower Spin. Lowest Launch.
Ball Speed: 105 mph
Back Spin: 5325 rpm
Launch: 23.00 degrees
Offline: 3.8 yards
Descent: 47.75 degrees
Distance: 146.3 yards

The changes?
+6 mph
-1430 rpm backspin
-2.3 degrees launch
-4.5 yards offline
-1.9 degrees descent
+13.6 yards distance

20201004_155041.jpg

After this, I went back and hit my C200 again. Same results as the baseline. I just needed to know lol.

So, I said originally I had no preferences. I was going to let the performance dictate.
In reality though, back of my mind, I wanted Mizuno. I just didn't think they would be the choice.
I didn't care what it was, but I hoped it would be Mizuno.

By the time we had settled on the 921 Hot Metal, and had additional swings mulling a shaft change
(NS Pro Modus Tour 105 vs Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH NEO), that was my session.

I was given suggestions of a tweak I could consider to get the Launch down, and we were all finished up.
I packed up my gear, and set out on the 2 hour drive home.

The ride home gave me a lot of time to think.
I had inquired about other Mizuno heads, didn't end up hitting them, with the fitter's belief that the Hot Metal was the right choice.

I assume with my swing as it is probably eliminated a lot of the options head wise.
It has me thinking I want to go try other Mizuno heads though before making a purchase. Just for peace of mind.

I kept thinking though:
Is my approach to a golf fitting "wrong"?
Does being open to trying everything, result in a less focused, and more difficult fit for a fitter.

Does baseline information along with fitting software, somewhat predetermine what you are going to end up with before even swinging a club?
Would I be benefitted by going in, and being more selective? (ie. I want to be fit into ______, and only that brand.)

I assume with my swing as it is probably eliminated a lot of the options head wise. It has me thinking I want to go try other Mizuno heads though before making a purchase. Just for peace of mind.

I am going to assume based on the consistency of your ball striking and swing speed that your fitter focussed on 'game improvement' category irons with fast faces to maximise distance and forgiveness. If you have a preference for Mizuno irons then you have been fitted to the right club. Every single other Mizuno option will result in a loss of distance or less forgiveness.

Does being open to trying everything, result in a less focused, and more difficult fit for a fitter.

Your approach is perfect. Going into a fitting with no bias and letting a professional determine what clubs suit you best is the right way to approach the process.

Does baseline information along with fitting software, somewhat predetermine what you are going to end up with before even swinging a club?

Software like Mizuno's shaft optimiser can guide a fitter, but good pro's should be looking at shot data to optimise your setup based on their knowledge and experience.

Most fitters will have a pretty good indication of the general type of setup you should be playing after just one swing. From there it's just a matter of refining to optimise the results.

My view is based on data your fitting looks spot on. Trust your fitter, order the clubs, and enjoy the signficant performance gains that will come with it.

I told my fitter that I didn’t want to know what I was hitting b/c of my preconceived notions of this brand or that one or thoughts that certain irons were better based on my own self fitting after reading something or just wanting them. I landed on a brand and model I wouldn’t have expected and certainly wouldn’t have picked. I then tried the combo that I thought I would be fit into. Didn’t make the top 3.

My advice is to go by the numbers not what you feel you want. I think you’ll be served better that way. JMO.

51 weeks later than originally scheduled, I finally had my fitting!!!

I am a soon to be 41 year old, father of 2 (2.5 yr old and a 3 month old).
Maybe 5-6 rounds this year total. 3 or 4 times at the range.
Used to play more, a lot more. Every night of the week more.
Handicap has fluctuated over the years, but sitting now at an even 10 again.

I went into yesterday's fitting as a completely blank slate. I went in with no brand preference, no head type preference.
I didn't want to exclude anything, and didn't want a pre-conceived notion influencing the results. I honestly haven't hit an iron other than my C200s in over a year

My brand choices at this GOLFTEC location were Taylor Made, Callaway, Ping, and Mizuno. All testing was done with 7 iron heads.

Started with Ping G410, went on to Callaway Apex CF19, and finally Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal.
Also presented were the TM Sim irons, and Callaway Mavrik Max, but we didn't hit either.

After my warmup and baseline swings, the heads were brought out, and I was asked if I had preferences based on look, headshape, finish.
I had none..... wanting to base it solely on performance.

So to start, my Wilson Staff C200, with Regular Flex Aldila Rogue graphite shafts:
Ball Speed: 99 mph
Back Spin: 6755 rpm
Launch: 25.33 degrees
Offline: 8.3 yards
Descent: 49.67 degrees
Distance: 132.7 yards

This was a shocker for me. For years, I had been a "150 yard 7 iron" player. It was the main constant.
I've based all of my yardages off of it. 132.7 yards on the monitor opened my eyes. Wow.

Now the recurring theme of the fitting was trying to get my launch down, and decrease the backspin.
The swing was consistent throughout the entire fitting. Eerily similar. Easy to see a change quickly when there was one.

Ping G410 was first. Stock Graphite in Regular. I thought I hit it well. Launch was higher than we wanted, ballspeed in the 104-105 mph range. Carry around 145.

Callaway Apex next up. Recoils in Regular. I didn't care for as much, performance similar to the G410, but spin and launch were both higher than we were looking for. Same thing. 104mph, similar carry.

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal, Nippon NS Pro Modus Tour 105 R. One swing in, and we knew.
Higher ballspeed. Lower Spin. Lowest Launch.
Ball Speed: 105 mph
Back Spin: 5325 rpm
Launch: 23.00 degrees
Offline: 3.8 yards
Descent: 47.75 degrees
Distance: 146.3 yards

The changes?
+6 mph
-1430 rpm backspin
-2.3 degrees launch
-4.5 yards offline
-1.9 degrees descent
+13.6 yards distance

View attachment 8967128

After this, I went back and hit my C200 again. Same results as the baseline. I just needed to know lol.

So, I said originally I had no preferences. I was going to let the performance dictate.
In reality though, back of my mind, I wanted Mizuno. I just didn't think they would be the choice.
I didn't care what it was, but I hoped it would be Mizuno.

By the time we had settled on the 921 Hot Metal, and had additional swings mulling a shaft change
(NS Pro Modus Tour 105 vs Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH NEO), that was my session.

I was given suggestions of a tweak I could consider to get the Launch down, and we were all finished up.
I packed up my gear, and set out on the 2 hour drive home.

The ride home gave me a lot of time to think.
I had inquired about other Mizuno heads, didn't end up hitting them, with the fitter's belief that the Hot Metal was the right choice.

I assume with my swing as it is probably eliminated a lot of the options head wise.
It has me thinking I want to go try other Mizuno heads though before making a purchase. Just for peace of mind.

I kept thinking though:

Would I be benefitted by going in, and being more selective? (ie. I want to be fit into ______, and only that brand.)

I bet the C200 was a legit 150 club when you played more and maybe you lost distance from not playing as much.

Dave

Enjoy your 921 Hot Metals.

I bet the C200 was a legit 150 club when you played more and maybe you lost distance from not playing as much.

Dave
The scary thing is, 3 weeks ago at the range I was all over the 150 yard green with 7i.... same as on the course... all this season 150 yds I pull 7 iron.

The scary thing is, 3 weeks ago at the range I was all over the 150 yard green with 7i.... same as on the course... all this season 150 yds I pull 7 iron.

Interesting! Maybe your inside swing and outside swing are different?

Dave

Back