First Irons You Ever Bought?

i think macgregor pro c.

Im fairly new to golf, but I bought a set of used Ping i3 O-size to start....then 4 months later bought a set of Cobra One length F7s and played those for 12 months...then went back to variable length. Bought a brand new set of Tour Edge C521s for like $280 at a sale, which is what I play now.

I dont feel like I deserve a nice set of irons until I can get to a certain hdcp lol.

In about 1977 Wilson K28 Irons and First Flite Persimmon woods, mail ordered from the back of a golf magazine. (I believe from Edwin Watts). I still have the woods, though they’ve been retired since about 1990.

Square Two Rave II's circa 2003. My cheap ass buddy still games them once or twice a year when I can convince him to pry greens fees out of his mattress.

Adams Redline

First actual new set was '21 Apex MBs in fall of the '20 I think. :unsure: Wait.. There might have been a set of Honmas with plastic on them before that. 747V or Rose Protos maybe. The first set I actually tested and ordered how I wanted was the Apex MBs. And they're great. I was thinking about those little beauties out there today actually, because the ground is firming up and those things are brilliant when it's like that. Had hundreds of rounds with them. Just awesome irons. Still play the MB AW with my current set from another company.

2016 Big Bertha irons with Recoil 460 shafts. I just started golf and only knew of Big Bertha through the Tiger Woods video games. But they looked pretty for a bigger iron and they were deep.

D88A8D35-9962-4DDB-A070-E1CFD447F31C.jpeg

First set I bought was from a company called Kunnan. 14 clubs but the putter was an additional charge. Graphite shaft. played for a few years then made a few sets from heads I bought at Golfsmith. 1st Brand name irons were Adams Idea V4 when I came back to golf after a 2 year layoff in 2012. Then bought a set of Nike Pro Combos when they left the biz. And finally my Cobra FTB OL in 2018. Now getting Edel irons in a month.

First set was a Slazenger box set, then some Lynx irons from ebay that were unhittable, then onto Ping G25.

I honestly think the first set of brand new irons that I bought were my Srixon Z545 - everything prior to that had been secondhand as far as I can remember

1980 - Sweet spot the size of a pea! ;)
1655895498360.png
1655895535899.png

Was a 1972 set of Wilson Staff blades with adjustable weight port.

Wilson Fat Shafts (still have them) and had no clue what I was doing about golf, but I hit them amazingly well for what they were. Second set was Wilson Di7s and I still have them and they are still fantastic golf clubs.

After graduating college, I bought a set of Nike CPR 2 Irons and Hybrids

Last edited:
These …

B49A9BAD-CCC0-40F8-BBD3-57DFA4D78CC1.jpg

I picked up a set of Callaway X-18 irons. They served me quite well and started a love affair with Callaway.

TaylorMade r7 TP with Project X 5.5 shafts. My friend plays them now but they're still around!

R7%20TP%20STS.jpg

Still haven't bought new irons , they've all been used/2nd hand

My goal for the last couple years has been to have a fitting and but new irons but various things have come up. Now I keep my golf money seperate so once I can play a little consistently ie next year, I'm booking a fitting at a local top fitting center

Wilson 1200LT boxed set about 43 years ago.

I had the Wilson 1200LT sand wedge for about 30 years. My buddy used to call in my cheater club. Sadly, I left it on the green one day and it was lost. Broke my heart.

I had the Wilson 1200LT sand wedge for about 30 years. My buddy used to call in my cheater club. Sadly, I left it on the green one day and it was lost. Broke my heart.

I had a Royal sand wedge that I "borrowed" from my dad and forgot to return that was the same way. I finally quit gaming it when part of the face was very close to being smooth.

Tom Watson's Golden Ram irons in the eighties.

Good Golfing

A set of EXP's. They were cheap knockoffs of something else... Big Bertha, Ping... I forget which and couldn't figure out exactly what.

Cleveland TA5 was the first set I bought:

8D2A2784-BAD5-4A0B-8164-5021B803372A.jpeg

Ping G25 was the first new set.

Back