First Look – Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Bird of Prey and Ten Putters

I heard Sean Toulon discuss that the Bird of Prey putter is probably geared for a player who misses putts left a lot (my miss). It's easier to keep square through impact. Do you see this as well?

Was this on one of the podcasts? I‘m behind on listening because I’m on vacation but I really, really like the sound of that. I tend to miss left-side with a mallet-style putter Whenever I put them in play.

Thanks for the writeup. I think they both look great, especially the Bird of Prey. I really like the alignment aid being so simple and bold. I'll probably wait until they hit the used market, but it looks like one of these might be the possible replacement for my White Hot Havok.

Love the putters they produce, always so solid.

Pretty much that. Oversized tends to be preferred method for SBST while pistol allows for the wrist manipulation associated with the arc swing

I understand this theory. However, I’m not sure that “wrists” are used to achieve an arc motion.
Having said that, I almost feel like the opposite configuration would allow a bit more neutral club setup. For example, a toe hang putter with a larger grip, like Philly Mic. I ordered a TEN putter with a flow neck and I plan to put a larger grip on it.

Man that bird of prey needs to find its way in my bag. Great write up and feedback so far.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

The Spider has been out for quite a while. Not sure why you are just reviewing it now.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The Spider has been out for quite a while. Not sure why you are just reviewing it now.

That was allllllllmost funny. ;)

Just like when we heard it about the Anser, Seven, Vline, Two Ball, Double Wide, etc etc etc.

Check out the preview article if you haven’t already, a certain guy who CREATED the shape is behind this....

That was allllllllmost funny. ;)

Just like when we heard it about the Anser, Seven, Vline, Two Ball, Double Wide, etc etc etc.

Check out the preview article if you haven’t already, a certain guy who CREATED the shape is behind this....
I'll give it a read.

I saw these posted to social media before but as I read Jman’s review and see the line more, I don’t mind the all black version not coming to retail

b6720e9b208ad5f418b2d4e0821afaed.jpg

I really hope the all black no alignment version makes it to retail at some point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it bad that I want to get the Bird of Prey but then paint fill the alignment line?

Is it bad that I want to get the Bird of Prey but then paint fill the alignment line?
It’s only bad if you don’t show us photos of the finished product

Was this on one of the podcasts? I‘m behind on listening because I’m on vacation but I really, really like the sound of that. I tend to miss left-side with a mallet-style putter Whenever I put them in play.

Heard it here. Love listening to Sean talk about putters.

Oh I have more thoughts on these. Fo sho.

Apologies for the delay, but weekend time was family time, and it was much needed. Focused on health and home and it was glorious.

Now, prior to that, last Wed, Thu, and Fri I put 135 holes on these two putters, and my body, and I am not in summer form so it took a toll, hence the weekend recuperation time haha.

Various thoughts, and to address some of the convo in here.

1) The insert to me is going to be the bigger story than the shapes, reality is short of a flip face :)p) anything they put out is going to sell and sell well. The insert here going firmer though is an interesting move to me still. I pulled out the SL DW I reviewed last night and rolled some side by side and the feel is DEFINITELY more firm with a definitive "tock" at impact of the SL Black duo of putters. I am going to try and get you all some audio this week and will do both inserts, so bare with me.

2) The roll is 100% Odyssey. Its fast. Its tight. Its consistent. Its repeatable. Add in the SL and my misses have indeed been minimized, its just like I said in my SL DW review on the homepage, I cannot tell you exactly what it is doing feel wise, but it IS doing something. The more time I get, the more I agree with the "Tempo Enhancing" moniker they put on it. I know @mikeg_74 asked the question in here about head weight, and its still a 360-365g head, so yes you feel it, its not the traditional CB where you would lose feel of the head with the weight added into the back and I think that is lost by some at times on the tech side of things, the 40g from the middled of the shaft have just been repositioned, balance is still there, feel through the stroke is still there, its a comfortable weight.

3) Direction. The other thing I wanted to jump on quickly is the comment in here about what Sean said in the podcast with it being a fit perhaps for those who tend to pull their putts. I actually am seeing this, its got me feeling like I am aiming more left of the hole than I should be at times because in my normal posture I was seeing more misses right than I usually do. I think yes, its an MOI and balance thing, but also I think the fact that the putter soles itself so squarely we see proper alignment which we have been compensating for previously. Something worth talking about, but no, I wouldn't say its something you need to be worried about.

4) The Ten is going to sell like hotcakes. Its got everything going for it, legendary shape, better insert than the original shape out there, and Stroke Lab is legit. But, I think the BoP should be getting more discussion IF you are one who can look down at a true full mallet confidently. The lines in the shape, the angles, all of it, it makes the confidence go through the roof, ESPECIALLY from 12 feet and in.

More soon, but I wanted to drop those in here this morning to hopefully stir some real golf chatter on a fine Monday.

Great feedback, thank you for putting these through so many holes for us all! I think The Ten will sell very well too, but hope the BOP gets it's due, and think it will. Seeing it with TT next to is screams ALIGNMENT OVERLOAD, and not in a bad way. They should include a sleeve with each purchase, Callaway you can have that promo idea for free!!!

Just listened to the fitting room podcast with Nate, AJ and Austie, these sound amazing. To hear the design story behind them really gives you a different feel for what they are and how they will perform.

Great feedback, thank you for putting these through so many holes for us all! I think The Ten will sell very well too, but hope the BOP gets it's due, and think it will. Seeing it with TT next to is screams ALIGNMENT OVERLOAD, and not in a bad way. They should include a sleeve with each purchase, Callaway you can have that promo idea for free!!!
Thank you! (y)

Anyone have any other Q’s you want me to answer?

Anyone have any other Q’s you want me to answer?
Bueller?

Anywho. More putting time yesterday confirms to me they are going to sell a boatload of the Ten's.

Only real knocks I have are nitpicks. Personally still not a fan of their stock grip selections material wise, and more than that the headcovers leave a lot to be desired given the price of the putters. S'ok though, I have the King and Queen on these two while testing. :p

Bueller?

Anywho. More putting time yesterday confirms to me they are going to sell a boatload of the Ten's.

Only real knocks I have are nitpicks. Personally still not a fan of their stock grip selections material wise, and more than that the headcovers leave a lot to be desired given the price of the putters. S'ok though, I have the King and Queen on these two while testing. :p
Actually that gives me a question about head covers. Does the BoP use the same size head cover as the other SL putters? It just looks so big. And for extra credit, are those covers any different size-wise than the normal Odyssey mallet covers? I'm coming from a 7 and curious if I should go head cover hunting again. Actually I probably will so it's more of knowing what to look for.

Actually that gives me a question about head covers. Does the BoP use the same size head cover as the other SL putters? It just looks so big. And for extra credit, are those covers any different size-wise than the normal Odyssey mallet covers? I'm coming from a 7 and curious if I should go head cover hunting again. Actually I probably will so it's more of knowing what to look for.
Same size HC as the Ten, and the mallet covers for the original SL putters. If you look back in here, I put a pic up of both in the same picture ( a couple times IIRC) and it shows that its not as big as I think some believe it is.

Same size HC as the Ten, and the mallet covers for the original SL putters. If you look back in here, I put a pic up of both in the same picture ( a couple times IIRC) and it shows that its not as big as I think some believe it is.
Awesome thank you. Those pictures are really helpful, just hard to mentally accept it. Even the graphics on Odyssey's website make it look a lot bigger lol

If you were missing a lot of putts and struggling with lag putts - which of these would you put in your bag first?

Back