First Look – Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Bird of Prey and Ten Putters

I won’t lie, it was tough to not walk away with BOP instead of Ten. It’s that good
Double bend. Mid size mallet. Face balance. Demonstrative big alignment line. It’s like it was made for me.

So here’s my take on spider vs ten:

Ten shape wise is different because the contours seem to blend better towards the weights in the back end of the putter.

Spider seems to sole a bit cleaner for me but as noted previously, the ten sits pretty damn square at address.

Insert on ten is firmer than previous SL insert but auditory response with CSX and -proV1x seemed to roll out just the same.

Spider weighting is pretty darn good considering an all steel shaft is used where as the stroke lab shaft in Ten is balanced even when using an oversized stock grip.

Alex, are you comparing it to the Spider or SpiderX? Size wise it’s definitely more in the SpiderX ballpark, but a little more squared off in some places and the way the shape flows to the weights is visually a little different too. I was pleasantly surprised at the size overall, I honestly expected the bigger Spider it Spider Tour footprint. They did very well here.

And don’t forget the significant and surprising difference in MOI in the Ten vs the SpiderX. It’s notable which is impressive too.

Love the feedback on the insert because it’s exactly what I’ve seen. More of a firm “tock” through impact, but the roll is the same tried and true one I got when I reviewed the SL.

Alex, are you comparing it to the Spider or SpiderX? Size wise it’s definitely more in the SpiderX ballpark, but a little more squared off in some places and the way the shape flows to the weights is visually a little different too. I was pleasantly surprised at the size overall, I honestly expected the bigger Spider it Spider Tour footprint. They did very well here.

And don’t forget the significant and surprising difference in MOI in the Ten vs the SpiderX. It’s notable which is impressive too.

Love the feedback on the insert because it’s exactly what I’ve seen. More of a firm “tock” through impact, but the roll is the same tried and true one I got when I reviewed the SL.

Sorry I don’t have much experience with it but yes it was spider X I was comparing it against.

ugh, all of this is making me want it more...

Sorry I don’t have much experience with it but yes it was spider X I was comparing it against.
No sorry dude! Just love having the convo with someone in here!

No sorry dude! Just love having the convo with someone in here!

One thing I didn’t mention was the visual aid line. The spider X does a better job of incorporating it into overall visual look of the putter but odyssey straight kicks that to the curb with the tried and tested marxman line alignment aid.

One big change that people are going to have to get used to with these two is the texture of the Ten putter surface. Mines seems a bit more of a matte texture like the circles in two ball putters lately.

One thing I didn’t mention was the visual aid line. The spider X does a better job of incorporating it into overall visual look of the putter but odyssey straight kicks that to the curb with the tried and tested marxman line alignment aid.
I’m surprised how well I’ve gotten on with it honestly.

Though again, I think it’s implemented even better in the BoP

I’m surprised how well I’ve gotten on with it honestly.

Though again, I think it’s implemented even better in the BoP

So let’s talk about that for a moment: the BOP seems like a complete package right?

Alignment
MOI
Balanced
Confidence at address
Positive Auditory response/feedback
Comparable shape to most mid to larger mallets on the market or on tour

Check all the boxes for me. Tough not to come home with it last night

So let’s talk about that for a moment: the BOP seems like a complete package right?

Alignment
MOI
Balanced
Confidence at address
Positive Auditory response/feedback
Comparable shape to most mid to larger mallets on the market or on tour

Check all the boxes for me. Tough not to come home with it last night
I do think it’s gets a little more nod at times because it is a new shape, but the Ten is going to be the one imo we see the most on tour of the two for them. Adding this shape is going to make a lot of people very happy after they get over the keyboard hammering stage.

I won’t lie, it was tough to not walk away with BOP instead of Ten. It’s that good

I finally saw them in hand on Saturday, both were impressive, but I was very happy I blind ordered the BOP. Love the shape so much.

I finally saw them in hand on Saturday, both were impressive, but I was very happy I blind ordered the BOP. Love the shape so much.

your 2019 putter collection is becoming impressive. So much MOI hah

your 2019 putter collection is becoming impressive. So much MOI hah

Yeah.... it has become a bit of a sickness..... went from 1 putter in February to I think 7 now..... But I regret nothing!

Yeah.... it has become a bit of a sickness..... went from 1 putter in February to I think 7 now..... But I regret nothing!

I would rock the BOP

I need a BOP in my life very soon.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

If I were ordering blind, I would choose the BOP, because I already have a custom Spider X.

It truly is. And I’m SUPER happy it was sent in for review because otherwise I’d have just kept with my initial assumptions.

It might be the better putter of the two.
I'm becoming more and more open-minded to the BoP and this just makes me anxious to try it.

The BOP is a legit contender. It feels stable and head heavy with a soft muted feel and sound. It rolls the ball nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sick kiddos and freezing weather derailed me for a minute here, but I'm actually course bound in about 30 minutes with these two one more time.

Anyone have any specifics you want me to focus on? Questions? Concerns? Thoughts?

Sick kiddos and freezing weather derailed me for a minute here, but I'm actually course bound in about 30 minutes with these two one more time.

Anyone have any specifics you want me to focus on? Questions? Concerns? Thoughts?

I'm just curious to read thoughts about how you continue to compare the two models. Also, which you would game after today.

So i'm seeing a better pop off face speed wise with the new insert. You seeing a difference in pop off the face?

I think it has been touched on already but I would welcome more info on the size of BOP and any differences you perceive between the two models.

Are these in retail stores today?

Back