First Look – Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Bird of Prey and Ten Putters

I also want to bring back tot he forefront a little aspect talked about in the review that I 100% guarantee was glossed over.

How they sole when sat at address.

That has been a long time knock of mine on the Spider's when I put mine at address with a light grip they always want to move closed, in fact most high moi mallets have been this way over time. After getting the Ten in hand I immediately sat it address to see what it did, and it stayed square with no manipulation.

Now, I don't think its as big of a thing as Odyssey does to adjust to sit a putter square, but, this does remove a potential variable, and variables are what kill consistent putting.

Stellar stuff, James! After a great writeup, this observation may be even more meaningful to hackers like me. Unfortunately for me, James' observations usually compel me to "just try it" which usually confirms his observations, which usually leads to a hit on my savings. Seriously, THP is the best place to get this kind of information, if you can even find it elsewhere.

I like the looks of both and I'm intrigued by that high MOI. I cant wait to see these in person and roll a few against my current gamer.

I am surprised that TM isnt suing Odyessy on the Ten. It looks so much like a Spyder. But I guess if that were the case Ping would sue the industry over the copies of the anser.
The guy who created the shape is with Odyssey now. Pretty sure you can’t sue on a shape anyway.
Stellar stuff, James! After a great writeup, this observation may be even more meaningful to hackers like me. Unfortunately for me, James' observations usually compel me to "just try it" which usually confirms his observations, which usually leads to a hit on my savings. Seriously, THP is the best place to get this kind of information, if you can even find it elsewhere.
This post made my day. Thank you for the kind words! I speak for myself and the other writers when I say hearing things like this is pretty special.

Course bound!
If you have questions you want focus on, jump in and post them up!

If you could note face balance/toe hang of the two models, that would be of interest to me. Thanks!

Course bound!
If you have questions you want focus on, jump in and post them up!

What grip did the Ten come with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know you love the Elevado @Jman - really curious to see how these stack up for you. These two and the Elevado are my front runners to add to the bag.

DSC00980-L.jpg

@Jman Looking forward to your thoughts & some more pictures, do u have your spider with u as well?

Let’s get it!

9F94A316-9CAC-4F53-B912-C77FDF4557D0.jpeg

Nice write-up James. I'll be interested to see how these stack up to you Cleveland Frontline Elevado. I've always loved the shape of the Spider but never had much success with it, so I'd love to give the Odyssey version a whirl.

And considering that my first ever putter purchase was a Yes! Natalie, the Bird of Prey looks comfortable to me (or at least that humongous alignment line does)

JMan, how does the face feel versus EXO and the harder feeling O- Works lines

NOT A GOOD PICTURE!

but, I’m at work and you animals want to see it so....

View attachment 8911229

I think the plain white line suits my eye so much better than all the other designs TM had with various Spider iterations. I definitely get more of a "point & shoot" vibe from the Ten.

I also want to bring back tot he forefront a little aspect talked about in the review that I 100% guarantee was glossed over.

How they sole when sat at address.

That has been a long time knock of mine on the Spider's when I put mine at address with a light grip they always want to move closed, in fact most high moi mallets have been this way over time. After getting the Ten in hand I immediately sat it address to see what it did, and it stayed square with no manipulation.

Now, I don't think its as big of a thing as Odyssey does to adjust to sit a putter square, but, this does remove a potential variable, and variables are what kill consistent putting.

As others have mentioned - that's what I disliked about the Spiders I've tried in the past. I just figured "Why add another variable to the mix? " I have enough on my plate to keep constant as is.

I'm so stoked to hear the Ten (and I'm assuming the BoP) don't have that issue! That is HUGE!

Keep those reviews rolling in James! Thanks again.

index.php

Looking at the Bird of Prey stacked up with the Ten, the BoP doesn't look that much bigger in this photo. I expected it to be a lot bigger than the Ten. Curious to see what Jman's comparison photos will show - especially from an above view like you're setting up to the putter

index.php

Looking at the Bird of Prey stacked up with the Ten, the BoP doesn't look that much bigger in this photo. I expected it to be a lot bigger than the Ten. Curious to see what Jman's comparison photos will show - especially from an above view like you're setting up to the putter
Forgot to snap one today. But it’s definitely bigger. A good deal wider heel to toe to the eye at setup.

Dude, dad duties took priority this evening. I’ll have the updates tomorrow morning and then hopefully more tomorrow evening.

Played 45, rolled the BoP for 22 and the Ten for 23. Was interesting to say the least. Lots of positives.

Noticed that too. Curious on what the change there is if any.

@TonyToulon quick follow up question if you have a moment - is there a new SL shaft in these two new offerings? Website labels the shaft as "2gen"

So I asked this question on Twitter and Nate Adelman and Luke Williams both answered me saying:

The shaft is new but the change is only cosmetic. No more weave pattern on the shaft.

Also, oversized grips are the preferred stock grips for double bend putters where as the pistol grips are preferred stock grips on straight shaft putters but both oversized / pistol are available as stock options on either putter.

Game the brand, but these do nothing for me. Sure they will light the fire for some though.

Hello there.... ;)

So, 22 on the BoP and 25 on the Sp...Ten ;)

Thoughts? Yeah, I’ve always got those!

First, they both set up dead square which is what is claimed and what is done. Something I’ve always under thought in high moi mallets despite always complaining about them not sitting square. At setup the looks are unique from each other for sure, I used a Chrome Soft X Triple Track yesterday for my on course testing and IF you’re a line guy, the combo of the Marxman alignment and the triple track is deadly (it won’t fix you being able to read putts though, as was my case yesterday much of the day haha) and I give the edge to the BoP because it’s line is surrounded by two bevels that run parallel and almost match up perfectly to all three triple track lines. It’s killer. Oh, and the alignment line paint is a little glittery in the sun, it’s pretty nifty.

With balance in the stroke, I don’t know what you want me to say. These are hyper balanced tanks that only the yippiest of strokes will struggle with imo. Add to it when you do miss the retention on the roll is pretty stellar. The BoP feels like it steers itself at times because it wants to flow in the stroke as it should. The Ten has a little more free wheeling sensation toot while being stable as the day is long. Exactly what I expected here, which is a good thing.

Now, I have a “nitpick” or two. First I’m not a fan of the Grips Odyssey uses. I know it’s a weight thing in most cases but the durability just isn’t there for what I do to a putter, but, im an anomaly there and accept that. They are comfortable, and the mid on these would be claw conducive to those curious.

The other is the insert feel, I reviewed the SL DW and loved the insert, they say they made this firmer and that’s absolutely true. There a firm “tock” at impact and I’m not gonna he biggest fan. It’s in between an insert and a milled feedback/sound for me. Now let me clarify, I fully admit I’m one who when I roll an insert putter, I want it to feel like an insert which means more plush overall, this is for sure on the firm end. If you wanted more feedback than the SL WH insert, you got it. As for roll though? Beauty. It’s fun watching the triple track roll tight and on line time and again.

More golf today means more soon.
If you have questions, JUMP IN, these are the convos that make the forum great, threads are fun, golf talk is amazing.

Good update. Since my switch to Marxman I have been saying the same thing. And I’m someone that used no alignment forever. The Triple Track with Marxman is fantastic.

Good update. Since my switch to Marxman I have been saying the same thing. And I’m someone that used no alignment forever. The Triple Track with Marxman is fantastic.
It’s good on the Ten, but on the Bird of Prey it drew an audible “well holy hell” from me on the green. The little bevels running parallel just make it even better. To the point I wish the Ten had them as well.

It’s good on the Ten, but on the Bird of Prey it drew an audible “well holy hell” from me on the green. The little bevels running parallel just make it even better. To the point I wish the Ten had them as well.

i love the look of that putter but things are so good with the EXO Marxman I’m not sure I should fiddle around. That alignment is so strong.

Back