First Look – Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Bird of Prey and Ten Putters

After my first round with the TEN, my initial thoughts are:

1) The Ten sits far more square than my Stroke Lab EXO Mini Seven. I feel like I can pull it straight back and through and not have the face open or close on me.

2) The insert in the TEN is far more firm than the EXO Stroke Labs. As Alex mentioned, it does take some getting used to. I will give it a few rounds before I decide which insert I prefer. This reminds me a lot of the Spiders and the different insert they had and the black(the Dustin Johnson) was far more firm and the other versions.

3) I have always loved the design of the Spider, but I am really enjoying Odyssey's take on this. The weight of this putter just feels so perfect in hand.

4) Really appreciate the large, white alignment line on the head. I got used to not using one when I was gaming an Edel a while back. However I really like and can see a benefit in the one that was provided on the TEN.

5) I have always been leery of black paint on putters has most have not held up well and typically show chips after a few rounds around the face. I hope this isn't the case with the Ten. The paint job looks very well done and appears to be very durable. Time will tell.

So with two rounds under my belt with a SL ten in the bag, here are my thoughts FWIW:

Ten insert is firmer than previous SL putters. On faster greens it takes some adjustment to get used to the roll out.

Compared to exo 7 mini, ten doesn’t feel as stable nor as balance during take away. Exo mini soles better FOR ME but the wider footprint is most likely the cause of that.

So did some tinkering (yeah imagine that) and now the balance is on par with the exo 7 mini

59a0a611b87c9bcd8d2357149066603a.jpg

Gut shot.... Scott at Budget just got back to me that there are some 4 week delays from Odyssey on these.... so I might be waiting a while longer for my BOP.

FINALLY got a chance to put rolls on the TEN and BoP.

if i’m being honest, i was really biased for the TEN and against the BoP.

in rolling both, i actually like the BoP a bit better. i thought they both felt awesome, but something about the BoP - maybe the fact that it was 33” vs the TEN 34” i was trying - just worked so well.

the TEN was damn near perfect too, though. it sitting square at address is something we can’t ever stop reiterating. it’s a huge deal!

if i was buying today, i would buy the TEM because of the square at address. i had to fight the BoP and consequently missed right more often (it wanted to sit open a bit). but both were awesome.

i’ll let the fitters at ECPC tell me what to do. if they ask me before we start what i think, i’ll say TEN double bend 33.5” with flatso 3.0 or the sl jumbo grip if we can’t do the flatso.

I tried the BOP today at PGATSS. Made the first putt 12 footish. Nice feel to it.

I got to play with a Ten today for nine holes. Not as big as I thought it would be. It was a 35 inch putter and balance wise it felt good. I had to choke down as I play a 34 and it felt better when choking down. It seemed to get the ball rolling quite quickly and smoothly. One thing I noticed was the insert sounded a bit clicky to me while using the CSX.
I had several putts ranging from the longest of 65 feet to the shortest of 3 feet. On the long 65 for putt it was uphill and a nasty right break and I left it short but made the next putt.
On more level putts I was able to lag putt close within 3-4 feet and made those putts.
I have always been a blade player and was impressed with the Ten and the forgiveness it provides. It would take some getting used to, but I could finally see myself playing with a mallet style putter.

It truly is. And I’m SUPER happy it was sent in for review because otherwise I’d have just kept with my initial assumptions.

It might be the better putter of the two.
That’s good to hear haha. BOP is the one I’m really starting to look at. I just wish it came in a flow neck like the ten. No biggie though.

i want triple track lines on that 10 black head a la the tuttle. just 3 solid white lines that align perfectly with that sweet sweet triple track aid.

I hope you get your wish in a few weeks :)

I ordered the BOP today. :D

That’s good to hear haha. BOP is the one I’m really starting to look at. I just wish it came in a flow neck like the ten. No biggie though.
I'd bet we see it eventually.

I think we are going to see a lot of things with these shapes, especially the Ten....including some alignment marking that are....interesting to see on a putter....

I think we are going to see a lot of things with these shapes, especially the Ten....including some alignment marking that are....interesting to see on a putter....

ya.... Im predicting three lines similar to a ball they have that is supposed to help with alignment and what not ;)

Not sure I'd be into that as I typically like naked toplines/dots but the single big line on the BOP seems doable. I need to head to the store here soon to check it out.

if you're talking about what i think you're talking about, it's not very attractive. if you had told me they would make a putter with that alignment marking, i would have been totally excited because i love tt so much. but the pics i have seen are not great. always have to hold out judgment until it's in hand, though.

if you're talking about what i think you're talking about, it's not very attractive. if you had told me they would make a putter with that alignment marking, i would have been totally excited because i love tt so much. but the pics i have seen are not great. always have to hold out judgment until it's in hand, though.
Key IMO will be to use it in combo with the other thing that has that thing on it too. :cool:

Got my Ten S today. Love the look and new insert. Tomorrow I will swap out the stock grip for a DFX grip and we’ll be off to the races!

Spent as much time rolling putts tonight with the SL10 as I could.

-LOVE the new insert. I was a big fan of last year's insert but this one is firmer and better. I feel like I have an actual audible assist with pace, much like I do with my Toulon putters. Don't get me wrong, the milled Toulon's are a different feel altogether, but this insert is easily my favorite that I've ever used.
-I really like how the white alignment line goes right to the face, and the slightly different shade of black across the leading edge is helpful for me too.
-I went with the Pistol GT Tour grip, my favorite SS grip. Love it.
-Stock cover is a quality affair just like last year. Much better than years prior to that.
-The quality of the paint job seems better than in years past. Thank goodness for that.

This one goes straight in the bag!

Spent as much time rolling putts tonight with the SL10 as I could.

-LOVE the new insert. I was a big fan of last year's insert but this one is firmer and better. I feel like I have an actual audible assist with pace, much like I do with my Toulon putters. Don't get me wrong, the milled Toulon's are a different feel altogether, but this insert is easily my favorite that I've ever used.
-I really like how the white alignment line goes right to the face, and the slightly different shade of black across the leading edge is helpful for me too.
-I went with the Pistol GT Tour grip, my favorite SS grip. Love it.
-Stock cover is a quality affair just like last year. Much better than years prior to that.
-The quality of the paint job seems better than in years past. Thank goodness for that.

This one goes straight in the bag!

an alignment line and a mallet. Wow. That’s an impressive change dude!

I love the feedback about the insert. I really liked last year's insert but it was still a bit too soft and I felt like it led me to leaving putts short. Hearing that those one is a little more firm is a huge improvement to me.

I love the feedback about the insert. I really liked last year's insert but it was still a bit too soft and I felt like it led me to leaving putts short. Hearing that those one is a little more firm is a huge improvement to me.
100% same for me. Can't wait to try these out.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Just received my Ten S and I also rolled the BOP and Ten in the shop.

Thoughts:
Insert. I really like the firmer insert over the first generation. That said, I had a One and the softer insert just didnt feel right.

Alignment. The marxman line seems pretty solid right now. The subtle vertical lines and connection to the white face help with determining square. That said, my Ten S seems to sole open.

Size. BOP is a bit too large for my tastes. The Ten seems like a spider tour sized down to the size of the Spider X. The Ten is bigger than a mid mallet but isnt massive.

Balance. Definitely feels a lot lighter with stability in the head and hands. It feels counterbalanced, but have to test more to see if I feel any kick in the shaft. Right now it feels like I can make a free stroke, but still have protection on those short putts.

Last thoughts. There are a lot of good head shapes in the stroke lab lineup. If they bring this insert to more of the lineup, they will have dramatically improved without too much change. A double wide with the new insert would be awesome. For those deciding between the ten and BOP roll both. The BOP definitely feels more stable and has a lot of things for alignment, but it is quite large and may play with your mind. The feel of the putter to touch is also a little different due to the materials. The headcover is pretty nice as well.

Cant wait to get mine on the greens.

My BOP is backordered 5-7 days, ordered it 2* flat from Odyssey. Can't wait to roll it.

Just received my Ten S and I also rolled the BOP and Ten in the shop.

Thoughts:
Insert. I really like the firmer insert over the first generation. That said, I had a One and the softer insert just didnt feel right.

Alignment. The marxman line seems pretty solid right now. The subtle vertical lines and connection to the white face help with determining square. That said, my Ten S seems to sole open.

Size. BOP is a bit too large for my tastes. The Ten seems like a spider tour sized down to the size of the Spider X. The Ten is bigger than a mid mallet but isnt massive.

Balance. Definitely feels a lot lighter with stability in the head and hands. It feels counterbalanced, but have to test more to see if I feel any kick in the shaft. Right now it feels like I can make a free stroke, but still have protection on those short putts.

Last thoughts. There are a lot of good head shapes in the stroke lab lineup. If they bring this insert to more of the lineup, they will have dramatically improved without too much change. A double wide with the new insert would be awesome. For those deciding between the ten and BOP roll both. The BOP definitely feels more stable and has a lot of things for alignment, but it is quite large and may play with your mind. The feel of the putter to touch is also a little different due to the materials. The headcover is pretty nice as well.

Cant wait to get mine on the greens.
Great thoughts. Good call on the 10 sitting open when soled. I have the double bend neck and mine sits just a hair open as well.

I rolled a handful of putts with the Ten last week and really liked it. I had more luck with the double bend than I did the s-neck. For whatever reason, I pushed everything with the s-neck, which is the same problem I'm having with my Marxman s-neck.

an alignment line and a mallet. Wow. That’s an impressive change dude!
Yes and no. I've been using the OG Memphis for the last few months so this slots right in. But yeah, big change from where I was a year ago.

Back