What’s New: 2020 Callaway Chrome Soft Hits Retail

** Disclaimer ** The above stated pilot program does not exist, never existed, and was created by the author in an attempt to offer humor to the forum, and possibly cause the reader to laugh at stated joke. Callaway Golf has never contacted the author with a proposal of any similar sort as the above listed pilot program. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

** Disclaimer ** The above stated pilot program does not exist, never existed, and was created by the author in an attempt to offer humor to the forum, and possibly cause the reader to laugh at stated joke. Callaway Golf has never contacted the author with a proposal of any similar sort as the above listed pilot program. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Lies!!!! Haha

And now they never will, it’s proven you can’t be trusted!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

so many balls...:ROFLMAO:

@tomcat these kinds of tests are what truly sets Callaway apart from the rest. ;)

And now they never will, it’s proven you can’t be trusted!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

It was only secretive during the fake execution of said initial program phase. The fake program didn't require an NDA, since once the balls were supposedly placed in said locations, phase one was complete. Phase 2 is to just let nature take its course. ;)

They only plan on using it where it can be of benefit to the design of the ball. Adding it to the X would have been nothing more than a marketing move to be able to market it as including graphene. With the new design, it was unnecessary.

Got it.
I just figured that since “graphene“ was all the rage 2 years ago that they would include it here on out on every model.

Shortly before the Grandaddy began, I was contacted to take part in a secretive ball study on the new 2020 Chrome Soft. Beyond the normal reviews that we were tasked with, I was asked to go above and beyond in order to perform more longer term testing for others who are new to the game, or just high caps, like myself. I wasn't given specific directives from @JasonFinleyCG, but moreso given freedom to carry out the program as I saw fit. Sort of a "pilot" program, per se. It was to be done on both days at the Hideaway, and results would be compiled at a later date. In fact, I may never hear the results, but we'll see....

The program had the code name "SUB". It stood for Submerged, Underbrush, or Buried. I did my best to insure most of my allotment of new balls were placed strategically in various out of bounds locations throughout the course, in hopes that some day down the road, they would be retrieved and studied for long term elemental exposure. The overall experience was enjoyable, as I've never been part of a long-term study like this, but hope that the research based on this study will help Callaway better develop balls that will survive the bottom of the lake, the deep woods, or the thick rough. :LOL:

In all seriousness, the time I spent playing the new Chrome Soft was good. It's very difficult for me to tell how a specific ball will respond to me over long shots, as I'm not a consistent hitter. I like the feel of it off the driver, as it doesn't feel too hard. Where I really saw the benefits was around the green. When I was able to make a good strike, it responded pretty much exactly like I expected it to. Plenty of stopping power, and spin, when I wanted it.

Haha, this is great @tomcat! I hope the two dozen balls I unknowingly donated to your study provide some useful data. ?

Got it.
I just figured that since “graphene“ was all the rage 2 years ago that they would include it here on out on every model.

I would agree, but I think of it a little like grooves on the Odyssey putter face. They make sense, so they were added and the roll was good. But the new insert they removed the grooves (I think for acoustics but not 100% sure about that), and actually found the roll was just as good. The more you know, right?

@JasonFinleyCG
The limited edition Truvis releases have been great (Shamrock, Playing Card Suits, American Flag, etc,) are more of those coming this year?

Will the Yellow/Green Truvis still be available at DICK’S stores this year?
well there will be another truvis design... soon...

I have to be honest: Mad props to the staff writers and anyone who can figure out how to interestingly create content to review a golf ball. I racked my brain, tried a few things, and nothing seemed to be right. So instead, I'll just give you a few anecdotes from a round I played a couple weeks ago.

I spent a long time warming up, and grabbing some content for the driver, fairways, irons and puTTer. I tried to do some interesting thing with the golf ball, but it didn't really work. So I went to the first tee, and dropped two balls on every shot except on the green: a 2020 Chrome Soft, and a 2018 Chrome Soft. I had a nice swing on the range, but not so nice on the course. But I was able to get enough swings in to have an idea how CS20 compared to CS18.

Off the tee all day and with somewhat similar strikes, CS20 outperformed CS18 on all but 1 shot. On that one shot, I felt I hit both tee shots about as well I can, and the CS18 ended up almost 20 yards ahead of the CS20. I was surprised, but this fairway sloped down and to the left, and I wonder whether the CS18 caught a little slot and picked up some yards. The disparity on the other shots off the tee wasn't more than a handful of yards. Callaway says 5 yards, and I would believe it.

One of my biggest issues with CS18 was off irons. I had such a difficult time launching the ball enough, so I saw a loss in distance due to a low peak height. I am happy to say strike to strike, the CS20 again outperformed CS18. A few extra yards translated to more greens in regulation using that ball.

There is one particular hole that comes to mind. It's a long, dogleg left par 4. The pin was in the back of the green, lasered at 215. I hit my Super Hybrid. The swing with the CS20 was a little OTT pull cut that launched on a mid trajectory, hit the middle of the green and released a yard or two. The swing with the CS18 was more of a square strike, with a mid/high fade that hit the front of the green and released a yard or two. That one hole told me that with two somewhat similar strikes, the CS20 is absolutely longer than the CS18.

Around the greens, I am just not the guy to provide reliable feedback. My initial impression was that the CS20 was spinning less, and CS18 was spinning more because the CS20 kept finishing farther than the CS18. But in hindsight, I think it's the speed at which the CS20 is leaving the face of the wedge. It's faster and hotter off the face than the CS18, so it is flying farther. More testing is needed here.

For not knowing what to say, you provided some really solid feedback here. Reviewing golf balls isn't easy. Question for you, or anyone that already has these: What's the ball flight like compared to the '18 CS? Noticeably higher or lower?

Keep up the good work! Looking forward to trying these out this year.

For not knowing what to say, you provided some really solid feedback here. Reviewing golf balls isn't easy. Question for you, or anyone that already has these: What's the ball flight like compared to the '18 CS? Noticeably higher or lower?

Keep up the good work! Looking forward to trying these out this year.

i would say higher than cs18 but lower than erc

Not the same ball. A different ball under the hood and how it performs.

So is this model being discontinued? If so will we see a drop in price? This is my favorite ball to date!

I go back and forth between Titleist Sirxon Bridgestone and Callaway but am very excited for the new chrome soft. It may be mental but they are my favorite for feel while putting.

I may be an outlier, but I've compared a ball (Z Star) to one with TT (ERC) and putted with both hundreds of times and I do not see any improvement in my putting stats with the TT. I actually find it kind of distracting... mostly because when I address my putt, it looks off, but when I get behind the ball and line it up, it looks lined up. I know, "trust the force" and just putt it. I've tried, but my instincts seem to take over and it just feels unnatural. Much more confident trusting my eyes.

I am excited to try the new CS. First ball I played and quickly found others that were better in terms of distance and spin.

I may be an outlier, but I've compared a ball (Z Star) to one with TT (ERC) and putted with both hundreds of times and I do not see any improvement in my putting stats with the TT. I actually find it kind of distracting... mostly because when I address my putt, it looks off, but when I get behind the ball and line it up, it looks lined up. I know, "trust the force" and just putt it. I've tried, but my instincts seem to take over and it just feels unnatural. Much more confident trusting my eyes.

I am excited to try the new CS. First ball I played and quickly found others that were better in terms of distance and spin.
The TT balls will not be/work for everyone, that was stated in our presentation. Some peoples eyes can allow them to see it the way it needs to be seen. I don't use it either, however the puTTer I can and do like.

Got it.
It still is all the rage on the CS ball - using it where it helps performance and where we need it.

you know where to find me....little busy

haha i’m sure you guys are running around with your hair on fire. appreciate you taking the time to pop in the thread and drop some knowledge

What do these balls do? That was the question my son asked my wife after bath time when he was five years old. He was not holding Chrome Softs haha. Carol just replied, ask your dad. Luckily he forgot about it and I never had to explain it to him. As hard as that would have been to explain to five year old Erik I would have more trouble breaking down the 2020 Chrome Soft and CSX.

20200119_104645.jpg

When it comes to ball technology I have trouble understanding what the differences are and why they alter the characteristics of the ball. Wedge grinds are the only thing that confuse me more than ball specs. Well if you are like me in that regard I have good news for you, Callaway has made it easy to choose a starting point but you should test both balls to see what is your best fit.

20200113_172837.jpg

At the very end of the Grandaddy product presentation @JasonFinleyCG told us we could have our choice of 2020 CS or CSTT. The CSX was not available at the time but we had the option of going with the 2019 CSXTT. I am sure that he could see the glazed over look of the GD guys after a mind blowing breakdown of the full Mavrik line of woods and irons. He said that the CSX would be best suited for swing speeds above 110 and for players who want to work the ball. The CS would be best for swing speeds under 110 and for those who prefer a straight flight.

20200119_102612.jpg

My driver swing speed average is 105 so I am right on the edge of what it takes to unlock the extra yards waiting inside the CSX. I try to hit a straight ball with all my clubs throughout the bag so the spin profile of the CS should help keep those shots on line. Even if I could compress the ball enough to unlock the extra yards from the CSX I fear the higher spin rate would send the ball further off line on my bad shots which unfortunately are quite common.

20200119_190139.jpg

This is one of my better shots. Look at the spin rate of 2186. Although my normal negative attack angle and low point are in front of the ball the spin is still very good.

20200119_182400.jpg

This is closer to my normal swing with a very negative attack angle and the low point 3.3 inches after the ball. The spin only increased 200 rpm and the shot turned out just fine. To be honest I am not sure how much of this is due to the Chrome Soft ball or the Awesome standard Mavrik driver but I am thrilled with the results. I tested several different drivers last year and my spin was always in the high 3000 range. The low spin nature of the Mavrik driver and the Chrome soft ball will help a lot of high spin players like me.

20200119_102440.jpg

I have an area behind my shop where I practice chipping and pitching several times per week. I use urethane covered tour balls found on the course of many different manufacturers. On 10-30 yard shots the older versions of Chrome Soft have a distinct sound like no other ball. Its hard to describe the sound but its like a low pitched chirp. I do not dislike the sound/feel of the older balls but the 2020 Chrome Soft has a different tone. Its higher pitched and more pleasant to the ear but it still sounds different than any other ball out there. I mixed in a few Granddady Truvis and they are my favorite ball to practice with. Such a soft feel and spin like crazy.

20200119_104612.jpg

I went to the practice green and did a accuracy test using the Triple Track vs. the Truvis. The Truvis does not have an alignment mark and the logo line is interrupted by the Truvis graphics. At first the Triple Track balls were showing promising results over the Truvis but as things went on I could not definitively say the TT was better. I will say that on the course where you only get one chance at a putt the Triple track works quite well. Being able to align the ball exactly on my desired starting line inspires confidence when I am standing over the ball. Things look very different to my eye over the ball so knowing its correct keeps me from second guessing at the last moment.

20200119_103724.jpg

I know the ball is aligned correctly so now all I have to do is line the putter up to the ball and make a stroke.

20200119_103743.jpg

It is so easy to see if you are not line up correctly. I love my Bird of Prey putter but the new line of Triple Track putters add another level of alignment. You will have to try all this stuff for yourself to see if it fits your game but the Triple Track definitely helps me putt better.

20200113_172126.jpg

I also use the Triple Track to set the line of my full shots. Just like putting the line looks different to me standing over the ball so knowing the ball is aligned without a doubt inspires confidence at address.

20200119_103044.jpg

I made a new friend that day on the putting green. He saw me taking pictures and asked what I was doing. I told him the story of the Grandaddy and gave him a ball for helping me take some pictures. Despite the two gloves he seems like a cool old dude.

20200119_105047.jpg

I am very happy with the 2020 Chrome Soft Triple Track so far. I plan to do some full and partial wedge shot testing on trackman soon to get some distance and spin numbers and compare it to the ball I gamed in 2019.

My CHS with driver is a tick or two over 100 mph so I’m very excited to test the 2020 Chrome Soft. I’ve been using the Pro V1x but it feels so firm unless I button it. I used the Pro V1 most of last year however I switched to the X ball for more spin but I’m not sure I’m seeing any additional spin. The new CS sounds like a delicious option for me.

So I played the CS 2019 for a good part of the fall before heading to Cali and I can confidently say that the 2020 CS ball has outperformed its predecessor. I am consistently longer off the big clubs and am seeing just as much spin on wedge and irons into the green, if not more.

I’m pretty excited about this ball for 2020!

Since you guys are emphasizing that we try both models with all the new changes that are underway with the ball, can you guys sell a box with 2 sleeves of the Chrome soft and 2 sleeves of the Chrome soft X so we don't have to buy a box of the Chrome soft and a box of the Chrome Soft X?
I would think that most golf pros and shops would allow you to do this.

I played 9 holes with the new chrome soft ball. While it is much too soft for it to become my gamer ball because I prefer a firmer feeling ball.

I was impressed by a couple things. It flys well. I liked the launch and flight I got. It is very durable. I played this same ball for all 9 holes. Plus I played 1, and 6 again as it was open and I had just enough time to get those in before turning to my car.

I think for the right person that really enjoys an soft ball. They will enjoy this one. I felt I was giving up maybe a couple yards due to its very soft compression, but that is hard to say and could easily be accounted for that the temps were in the high 50s. So was it the ball or the temps? I don’t know, maybe a combo of Both.

It’s going to be a good next addition in the chrome soft family. Can’t wait to try the X ball.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 12
Back