What’s New: 2020 Callaway Chrome Soft Hits Retail

I think the fact that they are still cheaper than the ProV1 will fair well for them. I am not a retail analyst, so it's just my best guess here. But, I think with their marketing strategy, they will continue to pick up market share. Plus, I feel like the product is better than what they have had in the past. People should be pleased with the performance.

I would agree with this. I know their goal as expressed to me was to chip away further at Titleist. There is going to be stiff competition in the ball category this year. Should be fun.

I am wondering though, with the higher price how these will fair in retail. What do you guys think?
They will do fine in the market, they have improved them 10 fold, and guys who liked the CS before will love the new one.

btw, I asked this same question of another ball manufacturer. What should I use if I love ProV1? I just don’t really get clear answers as “buy this if you like prov1”

I don’t disagree with you on a lot of what you said but I’ll offer a different perspective. The Chrome Soft of 2020 has changed for the better and deserves its own evaluation. Personally, I noticed improved distance off the driver as well as more consistent distances with the irons and wedges with plenty of spin and stopping power when I need it.

If nothing else, don’t let the name keep you from giving the newest version another look. Just because it’s chrome soft, it’s still a new ball with new technology aimed to perform better than its predecessor.

They will do fine in the market, they have improved them 10 fold, and guys who liked the CS before will love the new one.

I don't necessarily disagree. I am just curious to see what the first reaction was to the price increase. That is a bit of a jump from where it was previously.

I don't necessarily disagree. I am just curious to see what the first reaction was to the price increase. That is a bit of a jump from where it was previously.
It is, but I think when guy and gals try them and see the performance increases, they can then overlook the price. And IMO is still better priced and performs as well or better than anything Titleist is putting out. And I am one who up to last year always played Titleist balls.

I don’t disagree with you on a lot of what you said but I’ll offer a different perspective. The Chrome Soft of 2020 has changed for the better and deserves its own evaluation. Personally, I noticed improved distance off the driver as well as more consistent distances with the irons and wedges with plenty of spin and stopping power when I need it.

If nothing else, don’t let the name keep you from giving the newest version another look. Just because it’s chrome soft, it’s still a new ball with new technology aimed to perform better than its predecessor.
Last year I bounced between ERC and CSXTT because regular Chromesoft didn’t have TT. So just that change opens it up to a ball that I think fits me better than last year. I really liked both balls but kept thinking that neither was exactly what I wanted and I hope CS can be that ball. After getting fit for ProV1, I am looking for an easy answer from manufacturers that if you like this ball, try our “blank” model.

A very interesting design with some cool tech!

Something else I will add in while fresh on my mind, the new CS will spin a touch more than the old. Even in Cali on day one on wet greens the ball would stop quickly.
I played with @JMB3 and he will attest on some of the stoppage I was getting. I zipped one in very low and received a look of "How he F$#^ did you do that" That ball stopped on a dime and gave me 5 cents change.
The next day on dry greens it was just glorious on how much check you could get. I had several shots that just would hit and take that little hop and just stop dead or have little bit of spin back to them.

I'm not sure I've ever been more interested in seeing the difference between the two different models of balls as I am with these. I love that they have separated them more because I always felt lost trying to figure out the differences. I had so much success with the CSX TT that I really want to see the difference between that and the new CSX. Heck if the spin and wind performance is like you guys are saying maybe the regular CS is the right fit.

This year is going to be one big golf ball battle and I can't wait to put them all head to head.

This makes me wonder if a previous CSX TT users should look at CS or continue to the new CSX ball. Guess I’ll be trying both.

if cs was a sh1t ball because of the off-center cores, people would try it then move on because it didn't perform.

while I disagree with anyone who labels Callaway's golf balls as inferior because of this, I can't fault anyone for looking to another manufacturer because of this. as @Jman and others accurately say, the market is full of too many good options to compromise. so even if there are no performance comprises to be made in using Callaway golf balls, perception can be reality, and consumers should feel confident when spending almost $4 per golf ball in a game that is already very expensive.

That's my bad for saying inferior product (which I know it is not because it has performed well for me in the past, meant it more in terms of quality control), should have just said product with possible quality control issues.

I think the bolded is spot on, and I'm glad they now have advanced equipment in place to ensure each package of balls going out now has even more integrity from a QC perspective. That investment (and also the facts around that investment) should ease a lot of minds.

Great write up @Jman. But now I’m even more confused on which ball is best. I like that they made a clear difference between the two which is a step in the right direction and love what they did at the facility and the money that was invested to continue chopping away at market space and improve their product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This makes me wonder if a previous CSX TT users should look at CS or continue to the new CSX ball. Guess I’ll be trying both.
The regualar CS should be just fine.

FWIW, TT was offered in the CSX last year.

Cool thing is this year it’ll be on ERC, CSX, aaaaand the CS ?
Yeah but me and last years Ball didn’t get a long. I’m willing to give the new ball a go and see how it works.

I have always liked the regular CS, it was a ball that just worked for me. My one and only complaint about the previous ball was that is was not very good in heavy winds, I play in a lot of heavy winds here in Kansas in the Spring time. What I would do is switch over to the CSX, it was firmer and would handle and cut the wind better, much better.

This is not an issue at all with the new CS. Since returning from Cali I already have close to 20 rounds in with the new ball, half of them in higher winds, (winds 15mph or more)
the new CS performs so 100% better in high winds compared to the older version of the CS. I have not at all had the desire to switch back to the old CSX for the wind.
The other uptick to this is that we have been playing in temps that are in the upper 40's low 50's. I have been seeing summer distances with this ball already, even when playing into the wind.
Comparing to the ProV1X, I won't be buying my usual 4 dozen of those, no need at all now. The CS is better in every way for me.
Durability wise this ball is so much better, I have taken a couple off cart paths and trees with no ill effects to the cover. Only issue is they still don't float. :cry:

From @JasonFinleyCG , If you liked the CS, you will like this ball even more and no reason to switch, it's better in every way. I do find this true for myself. Just need the order date to come sooner.

@JDax hope this helps.
Thanks!!! This feedback helps a lot....

Yeah but me and last years Ball didn’t get a long. I’m willing to give the new ball a go and see how it works.
You should, there is nothing the same between the old and new other than both are round and have dimples. Better ball all around without a doubt.

You should, there is nothing the same between the old and new other than both are round and have dimples. Better ball all around without a doubt.
I will definitely be giving is a dozen ball try.

That's my bad for saying inferior product (which I know it is not because it has performed well for me in the past, meant it more in terms of quality control), should have just said product with possible quality control issues.

I think the bolded is spot on, and I'm glad they now have advanced equipment in place to ensure each package of balls going out now has even more integrity from a QC perspective. That investment (and also the facts around that investment) should ease a lot of minds.

There are a couple of things to consider when talking about the quality of CS and the off center cores.

1. The balls that were cut were gen one chrome softs. Not the ball with graphene.
2. Those balls were purchased from Accushnet. Who by the way is the single largest purchaser of chrome softs.

Now, there were still errors and quality control issues that could be improved. Hence the expense on the new ball plant. They are just not "as bad" as what may be perceived.

I have always liked the regular CS, it was a ball that just worked for me. My one and only complaint about the previous ball was that is was not very good in heavy winds, I play in a lot of heavy winds here in Kansas in the Spring time. What I would do is switch over to the CSX, it was firmer and would handle and cut the wind better, much better.

This is not an issue at all with the new CS. Since returning from Cali I already have close to 20 rounds in with the new ball, half of them in higher winds, (winds 15mph or more)
the new CS performs so 100% better in high winds compared to the older version of the CS. I have not at all had the desire to switch back to the old CSX for the wind.
The other uptick to this is that we have been playing in temps that are in the upper 40's low 50's. I have been seeing summer distances with this ball already, even when playing into the wind.
Comparing to the ProV1X, I won't be buying my usual 4 dozen of those, no need at all now. The CS is better in every way for me.
Durability wise this ball is so much better, I have taken a couple off cart paths and trees with no ill effects to the cover. Only issue is they still don't float. :cry:

From @JasonFinleyCG , If you liked the CS, you will like this ball even more and no reason to switch, it's better in every way. I do find this true for myself. Just need the order date to come sooner.

@JDax hope this helps.

As we seem to have fairly similar swing speeds (although I am working to try and improve mine a bit) I will be keeping an eye on your feedback Snickers (y)
I certainly won't be getting anywhere near 120mph so I am thinking the CSX might not be the way to go this year

I have played both the CS and CSX and I just prefer the feel of the CSX, but if you are saying the new 2020 CS feels firmer, I am wondering if the regular CS is going to be the way to go this time round?

As we seem to have fairly similar swing speeds (although I am working to try and improve mine a bit) I will be keeping an eye on your feedback Snickers (y)
I certainly won't be getting anywhere near 120mph so I am thinking the CSX might not be the way to go this year

I have played both the CS and CSX and I just prefer the feel of the CSX, but if you are saying the new 2020 CS feels firmer, I am wondering if the regular CS is going to be the way to go this time round?
It’s definitely a little firmer, yet still soft. Happy medium for sure!

Last edited:

I would say if you can, test both. But I really believe a lot of guys who swing under 100 mph will have great success with the CS.
Having played both last year, the CS will be just fine for me this year. I will try the CSX, but I just don't see being able to get the performance out of them being a slower swinger.

I like the sounds of a firmer Chrome Soft. If the CSx is pushing a little higher compression it sounds like Callaway will cover a pretty nice spectrum with ERC, CS, & CSX.

I really want to try these balls, especially with TT on them. But just wish they could simplify selection. Maybe I missed it but what Bstone does for example with the above or below 105 mph, softer, former, les spin, more spin...it’s great! I think a system like that is excellent for the avg consumer to truly simplify ball selection.

I really want to try these balls, especially with TT on them. But just wish they could simplify selection. Maybe I missed it but what Bstone does for example with the above or below 105 mph, softer, former, les spin, more spin...it’s great! I think a system like that is excellent for the avg consumer to truly simplify ball selection.

For the most part that transfers over here also. Unless you are above 105 there is no reason to not go with the CS. It has plenty of spin to hold approach shots, and you can send chip in low and get it to stop just fine. Need some rollout, just play it forward a bit in stance and you can get that too.
While they didn't have the CSX for us to try at TheGrandaddy, there would have only been a couple guys on our team that would/should use them.

For the most part that transfers over here also. Unless you are above 105 there is no reason to not go with the CS. It has plenty of spin to hold approach shots, and you can send chip in low and get it to stop just fine. Need some rollout, just play it forward a bit in stance and you can get that too.
While they didn't have the CSX for us to try at TheGrandaddy, there would have only been a couple guys on our team that would/should use them.

is it online or on the packaging? Also where does the ERC fit into the spectrum of we use that type of fitting system?

Back