What’s New: 2020 Callaway Chrome Soft Hits Retail

For the most part that transfers over here also. Unless you are above 105 there is no reason to not go with the CS. It has plenty of spin to hold approach shots, and you can send chip in low and get it to stop just fine. Need some rollout, just play it forward a bit in stance and you can get that too.
While they didn't have the CSX for us to try at TheGrandaddy, there would have only been a couple guys on our team that would/should use them.
I wouldn't go as far as to say that. The golf swing is such a dynamic movement. And everyone delivers the club to the ball differently. I think putting people in brackets based on one data point could have them ignoring a product that may just work for them.

I would urge people to keep an open mind and test anything they can to find what may work for them.

is it online or on the packaging? Also where does the ERC fit into the spectrum of we use that type of fitting system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was going off of what I was told personally in a conversation. (not a group converstaion, a question I asked privately) So I will back track a bit as I don't want to be giving out misinformation, try both and compare is probably the best bet.
For myself with a driver ss of 98 the CS works great.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that. The golf swing is such a dynamic movement. And everyone delivers the club to the ball differently. I think putting people in brackets based on one data point could have them ignoring a product that may just work for them.

I would urge people to keep an open mind and test anything they can to find what may work for them.
I agree with this, SS is a a good starting point, but not the be all end all for ball fitting IMO.

@Jman touched on something in the article that I want to post in here as well.

Callaway has been making their Chrome Soft golf ball here in the USA. 4 1/2 years ago when they purchased the plant in Mass., there were 120 employees. Today, they have over 400 employees at the plant. How freaking awesome is that for the town?!

it was also noted here in the thread that the distance gains in the csx vs previous gen are at 120mph swing speed. and this is mostly a gain off the tee, where they expect iron distances to remain relatively unaffected. for cs, that gain is at a 90mph driver ss. so basically, most of us should be playing cs, not csx. but as always, test both and see which works for you.

it was also noted here in the thread that the distance gains in the csx vs previous gen are at 120mph swing speed. for cs, that gain is at a 90mph driver ss. so basically, most of us should be playing cs, not csx. but as always, test both and see which works for you.

This helps quite a bit. I’ll be going CS then for sure. The CSX TT has been my favorite ball to date but it appears the distinction between the 2020 balls is more pronounced and I’m leaning toward the CS.

it was also noted here in the thread that the distance gains in the csx vs previous gen are at 120mph swing speed. and this is mostly a gain off the tee, where they expect iron distances to remain relatively unaffected. for cs, that gain is at a 90mph driver ss. so basically, most of us should be playing cs, not csx. but as always, test both and see which works for you.
Painting BROADLY, I would agree with that. But as you know, there are a LOT of things that go into what fits the individual swings with AoA, spin, dynamic loft, OTT or not, and the list goes on to pick the ball most optimal for the game.

Painting BROADLY, I would agree with that. But as you know, there are a LOT of things that go into what fits the individual swings with AoA, spin, dynamic loft, OTT or not, and the list goes on to pick the ball most optimal for the game.

agreed. that statement was paraphrasing with @JasonFinleyCG said during his portion of the presentation. based on feedback from our guys so far, it seems to be holding pretty true. heck, even the higher ss guys are enjoying the cs, since obviously the csx wasn't ready for us to test.

agreed. that statement was paraphrasing with @JasonFinleyCG said during his portion of the presentation. based on feedback from our guys so far, it seems to be holding pretty true. heck, even the higher ss guys are enjoying the cs, since obviously the csx wasn't ready for us to test.
Contrary to what internet long drivers and misguided studies on ball compression say :)cool:), the majority of golfers will always benefit from a lower compression/SS ball.

For one this is going to be a release that you'll need to test out. I'll have to look through my notes and see if a specific speed was determined, but think a swing speed in the upper 90's would be enough to tell differences between the two. If you are trying to get a mental baseline between the two the new CS will get a boost in distance, launch higher and have a little more spin when compared to the previous CS....The new CSX is a new ball. the Grandaddy guys didn't get to test, but based off the notes, the CSX will be firmer than the previous CSX. I think this will be the ball for the player who likes to work the ball or who has a straight ball flight and the extra spin won't accentuate the draw or fade ball flight. This ball will not sacrifice distance off the tee and will spin more throughout the bag. Hopefully this helps at least begin to put these into the right frame of mind for you.
yes, the late release csxtt was a different ball than the early release csx (without tt). but this 2020 csx is an entirely different ball.
Sorry, I haven't finished the entire thread yet, so forgive me if this has been answered. This is the essence of my main question. I felt the previous CS was the right ball for my game. I did, however, find success with the prior CSX TT (not standard CSX, however). Going forward should I be looking at the new CS TT or the new CSX TT? Which would be closest to the prior CSX TT?

Sorry, I haven't finished the entire thread yet, so forgive me if this has been answered. This is the essence of my main question. I felt the previous CS was the right ball for my game. I did, however, find success with the prior CSX TT (not standard CSX, however). Going forward should I be looking at the new CS TT or the new CSX TT? Which would be closest to the prior CSX TT?

I think the 2020 CS will be closer to the prior CSX TT. The new 2020 CSX is a different ball and will be firmer than the previous version. Your mileage may vary so if you can grab a sleeve to test that would be ideal, but if you are debating between the two, I would start with the CS and see if it performs like you want/need it to.

I think the 2020 CS will be closer to the prior CSX TT. The new 2020 CSX is a different ball and will be firmer than the previous version. Your mileage may vary so if you can grab a sleeve to test that would be ideal, but if you are debating between the two, I would start with the CS and see if it performs like you want/need it to.

I know I’ll be trying the regular first before the X. Seems like you need some HP for the X that I just don’t have, but if the regular is like the X from 18? ?

echoing what @mikeg_74 suggested. probably start with the new cs.

I know I’ll be trying the regular first before the X. Seems like you need some HP for the X that I just don’t have, but if the regular is like the X from 18? ?

I think you have the HP for the CSX, but it will depend on what you want, more off the tee or more control with spin. you may not see the tee benefits, but you will see the spin into greens.

Looking forward to trying the new Truvis out and comparing it to the several versions I got stashed.

This helps quite a bit. I’ll be going CS then for sure. The CSX TT has been my favorite ball to date but it appears the distinction between the 2020 balls is more pronounced and I’m leaning toward the CS.

The "current" CSX TT ball, is going away. It was a different ball from the standard CSX. Callaway referred to it as the plus ball. It was slightly firmer than the regular CSX but, both are dead according to them.

Contrary to what internet long drivers and misguided studies on ball compression say :)cool:), the majority of golfers will always benefit from a lower compression/SS ball.

I resemble that remark

I think you have the HP for the CSX, but it will depend on what you want, more off the tee or more control with spin. you may not see the tee benefits, but you will see the spin into greens.

That’s a good question. Honestly I’d have to try it in windy conditions and see how the control was. Greenside spin though awhatup?

I full-heartedly agree with this. My swing speed is above 105 mph and I have found better success with the CS and B-RX as compared to the CSX and B-X (which are the ball recommendations for speeds at 105+). SS is a good start, but there are many other swing variables that go into ball performance/selection.

I will definitely give these a try, but I sure wish they would drop the price to the $40 range.

That’s a good question. Honestly I’d have to try it in windy conditions and see how the control was. Greenside spin though awhatup?
Windy conditions are the biggest factor for me. If you don't play golf in the wind around here, you just don't play golf.

Playing in windy conditions, the new CS is 10X better than previously. I used to switch to the CSX just because of wind, there is no reason to now.

$50 though.... ugh!! How about giving a discount to everyone for a month or 2 for the debacle last year? Just a thought.

Love the sounds of the 2020 balls, can't wait to see if there will be any other truvis colors announced during 2020.

I can't wait to try these. I know you Grandaddy alumni have been raving about them and they sound like they will fit my game well!!

Looking forward to trying these out, think CS will be what I try first after really enjoying the CSX with TT

Back