What’s New: 2020 Callaway Chrome Soft Hits Retail

Contrary to what internet long drivers and misguided studies on ball compression say :)cool:), the majority of golfers will always benefit from a lower compression/SS ball.
Do we have any idea what the compression of the Callaway balls are in 2020? I dont think so, but maybe I missed it.

The "current" CSX TT ball, is going away. It was a different ball from the standard CSX. Callaway referred to it as the plus ball. It was slightly firmer than the regular CSX but, both are dead according to them.
NOOOOOOOOOOO I love the CSX TT ball. Looks like I'll have to stock up

NOOOOOOOOOOO I love the CSX TT ball. Looks like I'll have to stock up
Check out the article, you might want to try the new one....

Check out the article, you might want to try the new one....

I would agree with this. The standard chrome soft is probably pretty close to the current TT ball. I have some, I just have not been able to test yet.

$50 though.... ugh!! How about giving a discount to everyone for a month or 2 for the debacle last year? Just a thought.

I don't know where you get $50 from as these are $47.99 per the article. Also I wouldn't call it a "debacle", but more of a click bait article that generated a reaction without all the facts being presented. There are a few posts in here explaining why and a full thread available if you want to discuss the issues.

This ball is in line with others on the market and cheaper than what Titleist has on the market right now FWIW

I don't know where you get $50 from as these are $47.99 per the article. Also I wouldn't call it a "debacle", but more of a click bait article that generated a reaction without all the facts being presented. There are a few posts in here explaining why and a full thread available if you want to discuss the issues.

This ball is in line with others on the market and cheaper than what Titleist has on the market right now FWIW

The new B stone will be tough to beat at $44/dz. I am sure that Srixon will be at that or lower. TM will probably go up.

Was gonna say, I wouldn’t call it much of a debacle? I think any ball I lost was more cause I hit it 6in behind the ball than it was a core being a millimeter off center.

Was gonna say, I wouldn’t call it much of a debacle? I think any ball I lost was more cause I hit it 6in behind the ball than it was a core being a millimeter off center.

I blamed LOFT for lost balls personally.

Does Callaway do a "Loyalty"-type promotion like Titleist? If so, I wonder if these will qualify...

Great writeup James & great feedback from the '19 Grandaddy crew so far.

As a CS Truvis gamer, it's good to hear that they're updating their offering this year, and I look forward to giving it a shot! I'll probably give the CSX a look too, but I fall pretty squarely into the CS target with a 100ish driver swing, so I'll start there.

Apologies if I missed it, but how are the covers holding up on the 20 CS so far?

Apologies if I missed it, but how are the covers holding up on the 20 CS so far?
As I said earlier, I have had a few cartpath issues and trees, and haven't any concerns. Having new wedges I haven't noticed the new grooves ripping covers. The cover is 10% thinner, but also tougher. I managed to play 1 ball 54 holes before taking it out of play. I took it out so a guy I was playing with could try it. He lost it 3 holes later. :ROFLMAO:

As I said earlier, I have had a few cartpath issues and trees, and haven't any concerns. Having new wedges I haven't noticed the new grooves ripping covers. The cover is 10% thinner, but also tougher. I managed to play 1 ball 54 holes before taking it out of play. I took it out so a guy I was playing with could try it. He lost it 3 holes later. :ROFLMAO:

That's great to hear. Was curious about the new Jaws wedges with these. Thanks!

Does Callaway do a "Loyalty"-type promotion like Titleist? If so, I wonder if these will qualify...

they have a rewards program where you can earn points (log in daily for 10, watch a video daily for 20, demo day for 200, each dollar spent is 1 point, etc) and has had the previous model balls available (still do as they are the current models) and would imagine these will get added at some point. I usually bank a bunch of points then splurge on a couple dozen balls or last year got a new golf bag.

Not the same, but I prefer this as you can earn points a lot of different ways.

With the price point of these balls, they are going to have some serious competition to take away any market share. I will give them a fair shakeout and try them out. Going to Florida in a month, so I'll know when I get back how they fared.

I'm not sure about a loyalty type of program, but they do have a "points" program. Basically if you buy something through them or a retailer you get a certain amount of points based on dollars spent. Also you can earn points daily by visiting the website and viewing content. Usually the golf balls will show up along with other items and you can trade your points in.

With the price point of these balls, they are going to have some serious competition to take away any market share. I will give them a fair shakeout and try them out. Going to Florida in a month, so I'll know when I get back how they fared.
Just one note, the article on the homepage says the new ones don’t get released until March 12. I just don’t want you buying old ones hoping for different playing characteristics.

I have to be honest: Mad props to the staff writers and anyone who can figure out how to interestingly create content to review a golf ball. I racked my brain, tried a few things, and nothing seemed to be right. So instead, I'll just give you a few anecdotes from a round I played a couple weeks ago.

I spent a long time warming up, and grabbing some content for the driver, fairways, irons and puTTer. I tried to do some interesting thing with the golf ball, but it didn't really work. So I went to the first tee, and dropped two balls on every shot except on the green: a 2020 Chrome Soft, and a 2018 Chrome Soft. I had a nice swing on the range, but not so nice on the course. But I was able to get enough swings in to have an idea how CS20 compared to CS18.

Off the tee all day and with somewhat similar strikes, CS20 outperformed CS18 on all but 1 shot. On that one shot, I felt I hit both tee shots about as well I can, and the CS18 ended up almost 20 yards ahead of the CS20. I was surprised, but this fairway sloped down and to the left, and I wonder whether the CS18 caught a little slot and picked up some yards. The disparity on the other shots off the tee wasn't more than a handful of yards. Callaway says 5 yards, and I would believe it.

One of my biggest issues with CS18 was off irons. I had such a difficult time launching the ball enough, so I saw a loss in distance due to a low peak height. I am happy to say strike to strike, the CS20 again outperformed CS18. A few extra yards translated to more greens in regulation using that ball.

There is one particular hole that comes to mind. It's a long, dogleg left par 4. The pin was in the back of the green, lasered at 215. I hit my Super Hybrid. The swing with the CS20 was a little OTT pull cut that launched on a mid trajectory, hit the middle of the green and released a yard or two. The swing with the CS18 was more of a square strike, with a mid/high fade that hit the front of the green and released a yard or two. That one hole told me that with two somewhat similar strikes, the CS20 is absolutely longer than the CS18.

Around the greens, I am just not the guy to provide reliable feedback. My initial impression was that the CS20 was spinning less, and CS18 was spinning more because the CS20 kept finishing farther than the CS18. But in hindsight, I think it's the speed at which the CS20 is leaving the face of the wedge. It's faster and hotter off the face than the CS18, so it is flying farther. More testing is needed here.

Very much looking forward to testing both of these balls.

No, it’s not the same ball to my knowledge.

No, the 2020 CSX is a completely different golf ball from the 2019 CSX TT golf ball. Both are 4pc golf balls but the new one is a completely different construction with single core and dual mantle. Lot's of feedback from Tour into both designs to help ensure what we are looking for in terms of performance.

No, the 2020 CSX is a completely different golf ball from the 2019 CSX TT golf ball. Both are 4pc golf balls but the new one is a completely different construction with single core and dual mantle. Lot's of feedback from Tour into both designs to help ensure what we are looking for in terms of performance.
My guy! Thank you Finley!

Replying with the right account this time!

I ended up liking CSX over CS last year but resident this new release I may be better suited for 2020 CS. Should be fun to find out.

Back