What’s New: 2020 Callaway Chrome Soft Hits Retail

Another great article, James.

I wonder what "up to 7 yards further with higher swing speeds" means. How fast does one have to be able to move the driver to see this distance gain, other factors being optimal. 7 yards is significant.

I also wonder how the 2 balls will compare out on the course. CS is longer through the bag, but CSX if longer off the driver, but more consistent on other shots. Does that mean the spin is more consistent with the CSX? Does it mean launch is more consistent, but perhaps less ball speed with irons? I am not sure what to make of it.

The best way to think about it is that the speed gains for CSX were primarily focused on the Driver speed benefit so you will see the majority of the gains in Driver. In CS, you will see distance and speed gains throughout the bag. So, compared to prior model, the CSX will most notably be longer and faster on the Driver while the CS should be longer through the bag.

@JasonFinleyCG quite a few have asked about swing speed for which ball one should go with, any clarification on that?

The best way to think about it is that the speed gains for CSX were primarily focused on the Driver speed benefit so you will see the majority of the gains in Driver. In CS, you will see distance and speed gains throughout the bag. So, compared to prior model, the CSX will most notably be longer and faster on the Driver while the CS should be longer through the bag.

can confirm. across the board, the cs20 outperformed cs18 among all clubs.

I want to reiterate this. Callaway has been investing millions in upgrading and improving their ball plant in Massachusetts for a few years now (50 million to be exact). It had absolutely nothing to do with someone cutting open a golf ball and complaining of quality control.

Although it was very convenient for an internet site to make that claim :unsure:

The changes that have been underway for multiple years have been in plan and the deeper we got into and the more we learned, the more that went into the improvements. This is a long term commitment to the category and while we have been uber focused on delivering a strong performing and differentiated golf ball that is arguably the hardest ball in golf to make it led us to some things we are not proud of and are working very hard to ensure never happen again.

it was also noted here in the thread that the distance gains in the csx vs previous gen are at 120mph swing speed. and this is mostly a gain off the tee, where they expect iron distances to remain relatively unaffected. for cs, that gain is at a 90mph driver ss. so basically, most of us should be playing cs, not csx. but as always, test both and see which works for you.
@JasonFinleyCG quite a few have asked about swing speed for which ball one should go with, any clarification on that?

I posted the above earlier in the thread. this was based on my notes from the presentation, though @JasonFinleyCG or @Callaway_Finley can confirm.

Like that they worked to make the balls different.
So is Yellow only available as TT or Truvis in either ball?

Correct. At launch we will have Yellow TT and Yellow/Black Truvis in CS and eventually will have Yellow/Black Truvis in CSX.

The changes that have been underway for multiple years have been in plan and the deeper we got into and the more we learned, the more that went into the improvements. This is a long term commitment to the category and while we have been uber focused on delivering a strong performing and differentiated golf ball that is arguably the hardest ball in golf to make it led us to some things we are not proud of and are working very hard to ensure never happen again.
I can’t love this post enough. Straight forward and honest.

There is no absolute number, that is just not a reality to how it works. There are some generalities at low speeds (CS will be better for most) and high speeds (CSX will be better for most) but in the middle there is a lot of overlap. Best answer will be to try both for yourself and see which one works best.

I’m so looking forward to getting these out on the course!

Correct. At launch we will have Yellow TT and Yellow/Black Truvis in CS and eventually will have Yellow/Black Truvis in CSX.
That is great. I must have misread and didn’t think yellow TT was coming at launch with the CS ball. Thx!

I can confirm 3 things about the new ball as well. The green side spin was excellent for me all week. Even in the rain I had balls check up ridiculous amounts with the new jaws and I often have had issues with this in the past in my game on pitches and short chips. I can also confirm this edition does not float, nor are they self locating in the woods. Trust me.

This is the best response and one you’d rarely find with any other OEM. Transparency at its core. (See what I did there)

There is no absolute number, that is just not a reality to how it works. There are some generalities at low speeds (CS will be better for most) and high speeds (CSX will be better for most) but in the middle there is a lot of overlap. Best answer will be to try both for yourself and see which one works best.
This should be Written and highlighton every golf ball box in every store

Great article can't wait to try "The Ball that Changed the Ball, Again"....
I'll ask in the PGA Show thread, but I think that not offering the Triple Track in the CS Yellow is disappointing.

Well, you will not be disappointed then. We have CS Yellow with TT coming.

I had great success with the 2020 CS, however, being a high SS player, I’m excited to try the new CSX. Because on paper, it looks better for me.

For my game, I’m not looking for more distance for driver and irons, just more workability and flexibility to alter trajectory and great greenside control. Would you say the csx ticks those boxes?

I think the 2020 CS will be closer to the prior CSX TT. The new 2020 CSX is a different ball and will be firmer than the previous version. Your mileage may vary so if you can grab a sleeve to test that would be ideal, but if you are debating between the two, I would start with the CS and see if it performs like you want/need it to.

The new CSX performance is closer to the CSX TT from last year.

Thanks for taking the time to hop in here @JasonFinleyCG

Appreciate getting the info straight from the source.

@JasonFinleyCG I don't recall if this was mentioned during your presentation. But, noticing that the 2020 CS feels a little firmer overall than the previous model (to me anyhow), how would we expect the CSX to feel in terms of compression compared to it's predecessor?

Liking this discussion. I wasn’t keen on previous CS balls. Not bad, just preferred other balls. I did and do still like truvis for visibility. Aging eyes. TT putters have caught my attention. If I pick one up — hard to imagine that doesn’t happen — I will have to try a TT ball. And yellow TT, right on. Now to ball. I need to let go of past preferences and keep an open mind. I can do that. Regular CS or CSx? I’m going to go through that kind of test with every ball.

I know that was in the article, @JDax is skimming again :p:p:p;)
I read it the same way as @JDax and didn’t think yellow TT was coming at launch and maybe coming later
96DB40D3-3CE8-426A-8B50-4F3C26C86997.png

Thanks for taking the time to hop in here @JasonFinleyCG

Appreciate getting the info straight from the source.

agreed. it's great to have info straight from the source. and his sidekick @Callaway_Finley popping in to drop a knowledge bomb or two. two for the price of one!

Back