First Look: Callaway 2021 ERC Soft Golf Ball

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
There is no denying that we have seen a dynamic change in Callaway when it comes to their golf balls, and not just the fact that they have held the #2 spot since 2015 or that they have two of the top 5 selling golf balls on the market. No, we have seen Callaway truly invest in their golf ball manufacturing from top to bottom, as well as their design intent. 

One of the easiest places to see this intent is with the ERC Soft. In 2019 the company carved out a starring role in what has become one of the most booming segments of golf balls with the ERC, but in 2021 they are looking to take a strong hold over it by designing something that truly fits how this segment of golfers play the game. 

Callaway-ERC-Soft-Golf-Ball-2021-1.jpg

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been a big fan of the ERC's and use them when it gets colder outside and other golf balls feel like a rock .... I'll definitely be putting these through the paces

Good write up @Jman! I like how they are thinking player strategy and then engineering performance to match that instead of just maxing out some variable of performance.

nearly 4 yards is a big claim. I'd like to find out if the claims are real for the average Joe & not just the Robot. :)

Wow, 3.9 yards from previous version? Seems like a big claim, but they’ve got the data. Will make golfers in this segment that game that ball very happy I’m sure.

Having played ERC in the past this is exciting news. What golfer doesn’t want more distance? Not to mention triple track being beneficial on the green. Out of curiosity do we know what the compression is of this ball?

Hopefully the ERC players will like this version. The previous version was short off the tee, didn’t spin enough and had some durability issues when I put them in play. Sounds like some of this has been addressed with this release.

I really enjoyed that write up @Jman! I have played the current verison of the ERC some the past 3 or 4 rounds and I really liked it a lot. The current release didn't out perform the ball I was testing, but I wouldn't hesitate to play it and I am looking forward to trying the 2021 version.

We will have a lot of info coming on this one tonight during our 3rd stream we are calling Drinks with Jason Finley.

Wow that's a pretty big claim in added distance. For some reason the previous version just didn't work for me and was short with the driver but it sounds like some nice improvements were made. That price point is very nice also.

Hey 4 yards is 4 yards, that’s pretty much like half a club. It’s a great price also. Love the triple track.

nearly 4 yards is a big claim. I'd like to find out if the claims are real for the average Joe & not just the Robot. :)
Testing for those claims were done at average speed for driver and 7i by Callaway.

Testing for those claims were done at average speed for driver and 7i by Callaway.
What does Callaway consider to be "Average?" :unsure:

A lot of great information here. 4 yards solely from re-engineering the ball is huge.

4 yards? Wow.
I don't see how they could make ERC spin any less and still fly, so must be a speed or aero thing?

i played the erc soft leading up to the 2019 grandaddy and i loved it. i would say i gave up some distance off the tee, but i picked up a ton of distance off irons. and being someone who is not great around the greens, i relied on more running bump-and-run type shots so the lower spin didn't really hurt me. hearing that they increased the spin around the greens is a good thing. and triple track. it's SO GOOD.

Great write up, James! This ball would perform well for a high number of golfers. I wonder how difficult it is to get the masses who believe that they need a urethane ball, but don’t, to change. I see so many people with Pro V1s who would see better performance with something like this.

Love seeing the ERC in the callaway golf ball lineup

Will definitely have to give these a try.

This is still the best alignment aid in golf! Absolutely love triple track. I’m not a fan of the ERC Soft ball overall. It doesn’t have a ton of spin for me and just couldn’t out perform my Q-Star Tour.

I will try this one, the previous version was okay, but not great. Hopefully more spin around the green on this one.

I am a big fan of the ERC. Excited that they are investing in the product.

As everyone has said, 4 yards is a big ask.

I am one that uses the ERC due to triple track. I will go back and forth with Chrome Soft and there is a difference for sure. Generally, it’s Chrome Soft for tournaments and league play, ERC for casual play. If you can get an additional 4 yards and a bit straighter, I think people would jump to using both balls even more.

I have been a big fan of the ERC's and use them when it gets colder outside and other golf balls feel like a rock .... I'll definitely be putting these through the paces
I was thinking about this exact same scenario for the ERC. The late fall of 2021 will get me to buy some of these.

Back