First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Hybrids

I really wish they would go back to the matte crown. It's become my favorite finish and the shiny crown just doesn't look at good to me. That's not just with Callaway, it's pretty much all brands these days.

Every year I try their new fairway and every year I end up back in the 816 alpha. Part of me wonders if the crown just suits my eye.

Reactions: KEV
Great minds think a like!...wait, does that mean I just became the southern version of the weather anomaly known as "Kev"
Welcome to the dark side my friend!

They nailed the look and design with this one. It definitely is what you would imagine an Apex hybrid would look like

View attachment 8995879

Very classy looking hybrids. Love the introduction of the more-forgiving option, like the DCB. Callaway has really hit the Apex 21 line out of the park.

I will definitely be giving these a try. One way or another, new hybrids are going in the bag this year.

Hit quite a few balls with the 4 Pro today. I was seriously impressed. Loved the look and ball flight. Seemed to play so much more neutral than most hybrids. I was able to even hit a number of fades easily with it. Feel was really good too. Can absolutely see one going in my bag this year.

Hit quite a few balls with the 4 Pro today. I was seriously impressed. Loved the look and ball flight. Seemed to play so much more neutral than most hybrids. I was able to even hit a number of fades easily with it. Feel was really good too. Can absolutely see one going in my bag this year.
When I talked to DNevs, he said the same ( neutral flight) and if I didn't want help with a draw. The Pros would be the one for me if the small shape didn't bother me. Since I play the OG, I'm looking forward to playing these.

When I talked to DNevs, he said the same ( neutral flight) and if I didn't want help with a draw. The Pros would be the one for me if the small shape didn't bother me. Since I play the OG, I'm looking forward to playing these.

While the shape was small I did not find it hard to hit or intimidating at all.

Had my maiden voyage with these today As good as the Epic Max LS and the Apex 21s were today. the Apex Pro 4&5 hybrid impressed the most. I hit the 4 H four times to day and every one was straight as an arrow. My normal hybrid has been a big draw bordering on a hook. So I always had to aim right and hope for the best:rolleyes:
The 5 hybrid hit was my favorite, 175 yrds to a raised green, into a breeze. It headed straight towards the flag and ended up about 15 feet past the flag. I was expecting it to be off the back off the back of the green so was pleasantly surprised that it had hit and stopped.
I'm truly in love:love::love::love: with these. Everything that I was hoping for.

I was able to take a few swings with my Pro 3 hybrid tonight and really enjoyed it. I didn't hit it until the end and was getting a little worn it so it's not the best sample.

I believe on every swing I saw either a straight or slight fade ball flight. My original Apex is a draw to hook typically. It seemed to be a piercing flight also which would be great in the wind we play in.

Spin wise I was very happy and saw about 3,000-3,150rpm consistently. I didn't have my original Apex hybrid to compare it to but that comparison will come later on.

Mishits are going to be punishing with this smaller size but it's pretty much what I expect.

My last shot of the day was pured and have me the exact yardage I was hoping to see (225 carry). If that is consistent for me I'll be a happy camper.

This was a decent strike from tonight.

View attachment trim.89E4B2B2-9CFA-4555-B9AE-A5EBECFB42A1.MOV

I was able to take a few swings with my Pro 3 hybrid tonight and really enjoyed it. I didn't hit it until the end and was getting a little worn it so it's not the best sample.

I believe on every swing I saw either a straight or slight fade ball flight. My original Apex is a draw to hook typically. It seemed to be a piercing flight also which would be great in the wind we play in.

Spin wise I was very happy and saw about 3,000-3,150rpm consistently. I didn't have my original Apex hybrid to compare it to but that comparison will come later on.

Mishits are going to be punishing with this smaller size but it's pretty much what I expect.

My last shot of the day was pured and have me the exact yardage I was hoping to see (225 carry). If that is consistent for me I'll be a happy camper.

View attachment 8996330

Nice swing, solid takeaway there.

Pro 3h arrives tomorrow and i'm stoked! hopefully will be in play on saturday so i can add some feedback soon

View attachment 8996330
Um....is that your personal sim?

The Apex Pros paired with the MMT shafts are the best hybrids I have ever hit. They are missile launchers, so straight and true. And if you want to draw or fade it, that is attainable also. Today I needed to draw around a tree to a blind green. 208 yards to the green, hit a nice draw and ended in the the front bunker just missing the front of the green by 2 ft.

My Apex Pro 3 hybrid just got here. Went with a Ventus Black 9TX. I’ve hit the head and it’s a beauty, but I haven’t hit the combo with the Ventus yet...hopefully this weekend.

Attachments

• A9661706-C173-467F-8673-0B322C0070ED.jpeg
    A9661706-C173-467F-8673-0B322C0070ED.jpeg
    47.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 6BD49C6A-7BCF-410C-9D6E-961B6E05F24D.jpeg
    6BD49C6A-7BCF-410C-9D6E-961B6E05F24D.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 12
  • BEC029C5-842C-4EB9-BBC2-3068A6B03DC2.jpeg
    BEC029C5-842C-4EB9-BBC2-3068A6B03DC2.jpeg
    104 KB · Views: 12
I love the fact that the regular Apex hybrid is a more forgiving option... Hard ponder on an Apex 4H because of this thread...

Two weeks ago, I tried to put my Apex 4H up against my Mavrik 4H, but my swing was utter trash, so I couldn't draw any conclusions. Yesterday, was much, much better, and I'm pretty blown away by the Apex. I tested the Apex against my Mavrik 4H and the Ping G425 4H. All really good performers, to be honest. But the ball speeds with the Apex were unmatched. I topped 140 on 4 occasions with the fastest reaching over 144. That's ridiculously fast for me. I didn't hit 140 with the other two. All three hybrids were phenomenal, and I'd be happy playing any of them, but if I had to pick, it's the Apex. Better ball speeds and equally straight as the Mav. I did think about swapping my GD HY shaft over to the Apex, but I think I will get equally as comfortable with the DART with time.

I am a fan of 5 hybrids too, but I'd have to give the Apex a lengthy test before buying, because it could be a little too hot.

I got to hit the Apex 4H outside for the first time, and I am very pleased with this purchase. I struggled off the tee on the first couple holes, and with my fairway woods being refinished, I was down to just my 4H for tee shots. And it was an absolute bomber. I did miss some too far left when I went after it, but once I smoothed out the swing, it was nothing but high and straight.

The sound/feel is noticeably different from my Mavrik. Very carbon-like side. It was a bit surprising at first but I really came to like it by the end of the round. Still need to work on timing the DART, but the ball flight was perfect off the tee and deck.

Another fun day with the Apex 4H. Really starting to love the more muted sound. Absolute bomber off the tee and deck. Turned mine down to 20* to open the face a hair, which is giving me nice little baby draws with good swings. Very pleased with this purchase.

I picked up the apex pro 4 hybrid last weekend and was able to get it on the course for the first time today. Used it 3 times, and had great results on all of them. The first was on a very narrow short par 4, I hit it off the tee and had a nice high ball flight down the middle. The second was on a layup on a par 5 that was surrounded by water, again hit the shot I wanted to. Then finally had around 195 in on a long par 4, and hit it to about 20 feet for an easy par. Very pleased with it. Absolutely love how it plays so neutral. So far I am not fearing the hook with it, and that's huge for me with a hybrid.

Not a lot of chatter on these, but my 4H has been a killer club for me so far this year. Great off the tee and and deck. I enjoy the feel more and more each time I hit it.

I can't rave about the pro hybrid enough. It might be my favorite club in the bag at the moment. Hit the 4 3 times today. Was about 190 out into a decent breeze and hit a nice penetrating one that left me about 8 feet. 2 holes later had a 220 yard downhill par 3, and had a hard breeze going left which would normally give me the shakes with a hybrid. Nope, dead straight, about 20 feet from the hole. Finally, on 18 was a short par 5, had around 220 in but was downwind, hit a nice high baby draw to about 15 feet. For anyone that fears the left miss but still wants a hybrid, I can't recommend this one enough. It is so good.

I'm surprised this thread has been so quiet. I know Callaway has a ton of great hybrid options they've released in the couple years, but I sincerely believe the Apex 21 is my favorite. I didn't really get a long with the Super, but I loved the Mavrik hybrids. To me, the Apex 21 is a better looking, sounding, and adjustable version of what I already loved. While the 4H may be a touch too hot for me into greens, I will be ordering the 3H with Ventus Blue (woot woot Callaway rewards!!) as a secondary tee option. I expect absolute BOMBS.

Back