First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Hybrids

I'm surprised this thread has been so quiet.

I don't love the look and size of the regular, and bonded hosel on the Pro was basically a non-starter for me. When you play +1/4" and about 1.5* flat, and can turn a hybrid pretty easily, that's a hard no. Love the faces though. A bunch of the original ones of both delivered to stores here are still on the racks.

I’m surprised too that this has been quiet. I was hoping to see more feedback given how well loved the original is.

I’m still gaming the original and have certainly pondered this one. I am disappointed a little in the lack of adjustability but that hasn’t bothered me too much the last several years.

I think the thing holding me back is the shaft options. The shafts I want are upcharge where they aren’t with some other brands. Still I’m tempted.

There was a podcast or video or something playing in the background tonight that said hybrids have some of the least turnover of any clubs, too. People keep them a long time, so since the original was well-loved, maybe those people just aren't upgrading.

There was a podcast or video or something playing in the background tonight that said hybrids have some of the least turnover of any clubs, too. People keep them a long time, so since the original was well-loved, maybe those people just aren't upgrading.
Yes I saw that video also - it was yesterdays MGS YT video. I laughed when Tony said it. It reminded me of people an their 3 woods... once people find one that works for them they keep them for ever - at least in golfing terms.

Unfortunately I never found a 3w that I could ever hit off the ground so I haven't carried one in several years. LOL

Yes I saw that video also - it was yesterdays MGS YT video. I laughed when Tony said it. It reminded me of people an their 3 woods... once people find one that works for them they keep them for ever - at least in golfing terms.

Unfortunately I never found a 3w that I could ever hit off the ground so I haven't carried one in several years. LOL
I know it's not the right thread, but have you tried the 425 3W? It sits crazy flat. Just begs for a fairway lie. Might be worth looking into if you haven't.

I know it's not the right thread, but have you tried the 425 3W? It sits crazy flat. Just begs for a fairway lie. Might be worth looking into if you haven't.

Not the 425... the last one I tried was 400. After that failure I gave up the 3w for good - just not meant to be.

I’m surprised too that this has been quiet. I was hoping to see more feedback given how well loved the original is.

I’m still gaming the original and have certainly pondered this one. I am disappointed a little in the lack of adjustability but that hasn’t bothered me too much the last several years.

I think the thing holding me back is the shaft options. The shafts I want are upcharge where they aren’t with some other brands. Still I’m tempted.

Use your Rewards cash ;)

This is interesting and definitely anecdotal for me, but I am still playing the x2hot pro hybrid, and have tried most of the newer Callaway stuff and just cannot imagine switching.

A 7 year old club when the rest of my bag is all a year old at most.

I loved the Apex Pro when I was demoing it, and the regular Apex as well. The Apex Pro left a super good impression in its very iron like response. I think the only reason I have not bought one... nevermind, I can't really think of a good reason why I've not bought one. I've got other clubs in that spot that are also new to me and I like, too many ponders vs. playing time.

I loved the Apex Pro when I was demoing it, and the regular Apex as well. The Apex Pro left a super good impression in its very iron like response. I think the only reason I have not bought one... nevermind, I can't really think of a good reason why I've not bought one. I've got other clubs in that spot that are also new to me and I like, too many ponders vs. playing time.
I have the Apex Pro and for me it's awesome. I can't have any hybrids/FW with any sort of draw bias. For me this is neutral, which lets me swing away.

I have the Apex Pro and for me it's awesome. I can't have any hybrids/FW with any sort of draw bias. For me this is neutral, which lets me swing away.
Same as me. This allows me to fight off the hook tendencies and allows me to shape the shot pretty easily.

One thing I have noticed is that if I swing it like an iron ( negative attack angle ), I get a really penetrating ball flight and relatively lower spin. If I swing it more like a fairway wood ( even or slightly negative attack angle ), I get a high ball flight that lands soft and goes maybe 15 yards shorter. I noticed it while I was first testing it and thought it was a fluke. Then tried to separate the two swings and sure enough, consistent results.

Same as me. This allows me to fight off the hook tendencies and allows me to shape the shot pretty easily.

One thing I have noticed is that if I swing it like an iron ( negative attack angle ), I get a really penetrating ball flight and relatively lower spin. If I swing it more like a fairway wood ( even or slightly negative attack angle ), I get a high ball flight that lands soft and goes maybe 15 yards shorter. I noticed it while I was first testing it and thought it was a fluke. Then tried to separate the two swings and sure enough, consistent results.

I noticed that too during demo - seemed like the more I swung it like an iron, the better I liked it.

This exactly.
I use my 2 pro off the tee for a couple holes at my home course that force a less-than-driver club. It has become a very versatile weapon based on conditions and needs of any given shot. I love it.

I've really been enjoying the Pro 3h. Used it off the tee on a shorter par 4 recently and got about 230 out of it downwind. Aimed at left side of right FW bunker and hit a nice little draw off that.

I’m still gaming the original apex 3 and 4 hybrids and still love them. This release looks the most like them, I’ll probably try them out at some point.

I put my Apex 3H in play, and it quickly became my club of choice off the tee. First few swings weren't perfect--couple off the toe, but I was surprised by the distance I got out of them. Not in trouble with any of them. And once I got my tempo synced up with the shaft, I was hitting some hybo bombs. For now, this will stay in the bag to replace driver until I figure out that swing.

I have the Apex Pro 5 Hybrid and it is a significant improvement in my opinion over my Mavrik 5 hybrid. I will say though I believe moving from a regular shaft in the Mavrik to the stiff shaft in the Apex Pro really helped tighten up dispersion & control. I’m guessing that the Apex pro head is slightly heavier because it certainly feels like it but it just so easy to hit. Of all the hybrids I’ve owned (too many) the Apex Pro is by far the easiest to launch in control. I just need to find the same one in a 3 hybrid to replace my Mavrik, at the right price.

Guy in my group is like this, has original 2016 3H and 4 H and kills them.

I tried an Apex hybrid during my lesson yesterday and really enjoyed it. With the right shaft and hosel settings, a couple of these could end up in my bag. The distance I was getting seemed almost perfect to gap properly with my 5 iron.

I’m still curious about the 21 pro vs the original 2016 model. The gap between my 4 iron and current 3 hybrid is a little longer than I’d like and am not sure how to fix that.

I’m also looking for a higher ball flight with more spin for approach shots.

I’m still curious about the 21 pro vs the original 2016 model. The gap between my 4 iron and current 3 hybrid is a little longer than I’d like and am not sure how to fix that.

Consider going to an Apex (non-pro) 4 iron. Stronger loft + more forgiving.

i loved the 2016's and also love my 21 pro, but i haven't compared them side by side in any setting yet. would be fun to put the 21 pro 3h vs 19 3h vs 16 3h against each other on the monitor.

i loved the 2016's and also love my 21 pro, but i haven't compared them side by side in any setting yet. would be fun to put the 21 pro 3h vs 19 3h vs 16 3h against each other on the monitor.

That would be fun. From your on course experience how are they different to you?

Back