First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

Was able to sneak off to the range at lunch to test my rebuilt pros with the $tapers and they are def a better match for me in the pros. Was hitting them great. Excited to get them on course. Gonna test the MMTs in my backup T100S irons....have a suspicion they will match nicely.
So tell me about these mmt shafts that didn’t work out? Too soft?

My fitter has reached out to Callaway to get info on my combo order. According to the system, there isn't anything holding it up. But we have both heard the AW issue second hand. My direction on this is simple. If the hold up is grips or AW, let's do whatever gets these shipping sooner than later. We're coming on 48 hours with no response yet from the rep. :confused: Order went in March 24.

So tell me about these mmt shafts that didn’t work out? Too soft?

I think it may be a profile (apparently MMTs align with DG profile wise) type thing. It could be they are a smidge too soft and perhaps I should have hard stepped them. I can't be sure, but my comfort level was def not there. I was moving the ball more left and the flight looked spinny to my eye. I have no launch monitor data, I'm going by what I'm used to seeing in terms of flight windows, apex and curvature. I will say they were swing weighting heavy with the Cally heads, so perhaps they might be a nice fit in my T100S due to the more limited offset and the overall lighter head weights.
Lastly the feel - I'm not gonna say it was good or bad, just different from what I'm used to. I think I prefer to feel the face contact a bit more so I can adjust my swing based on the resulting ball flight.
So, I'm going to put one in my T100S 5 iron and see how she goes. I won't bother selling them at this stage, I'll just mess around with them until I find a nice match. I have a set of Honma v747 or whatever they are (don't @ me @OldandStiff......lol). Those may not be a great match though, only because the Honma head weights are beefy compared to the TahTahs.

I just need to say this. These Pros are GORGEOUS!!! Absolutely stunning.

I think it may be a profile (apparently MMTs align with DG profile wise) type thing. It could be they are a smidge too soft and perhaps I should have hard stepped them. I can't be sure, but my comfort level was def not there. I was moving the ball more left and the flight looked spinny to my eye. I have no launch monitor data, I'm going by what I'm used to seeing in terms of flight windows, apex and curvature. I will say they were swing weighting heavy with the Cally heads, so perhaps they might be a nice fit in my T100S due to the more limited offset and the overall lighter head weights.
Lastly the feel - I'm not gonna say it was good or bad, just different from what I'm used to. I think I prefer to feel the face contact a bit more so I can adjust my swing based on the resulting ball flight.
So, I'm going to put one in my T100S 5 iron and see how she goes. I won't bother selling them at this stage, I'll just mess around with them until I find a nice match. I have a set of Honma v747 or whatever they are (don't @ me @OldandStiff......lol). Those may not be a great match though, only because the Honma head weights are beefy compared to the TahTahs.
Sorry the profile didn't match, but you gave me more optimism the MMTs will fit me after limited testing. I'm waiting for them now and will be for a while! I am coming from DG X100s and after trying a few shafts including 110 and 115 Steelfiber, I found the tips to be a bit to firm. Hard to describe but they seemed to be more difficult to load than the DG's. Looking forward to trying em out!

Sorry the profile didn't match, but you gave me more optimism the MMTs will fit me after limited testing. I'm waiting for them now and will be for a while! I am coming from DG X100s and after trying a few shafts including 110 and 115 Steelfiber, I found the tips to be a bit to firm. Hard to describe but they seemed to be more difficult to load than the DG's. Looking forward to trying em out!
What did you order? Weight, flex?

What did you order? Weight, flex?
105's TX. Big weight gap but my elbows are more shot than Mark Fidrych. I have difficulty with the DG's right now.

105's TX. Big weight gap but my elbows are more shot than Mark Fidrych. I have difficulty with the DG's right now.

Nice. Not sure how different they will be, but just to clarify my experiences are stated based on the 125g Stiff flex version. Just so you are aware.

I'm getting close. I'm seeing my old distances if I hit even reasonably close to the middle. I was able to utilize low draws and low fades today after not being able to make the ball go right to left for years. With my iron play finally coming back into some semblance of form and the driving confidence I get from the B21, I could be well on my way to getting back to ocassionally shooting in the 70s on a course without trash greens.

Oh my goodness! I’m so in love with these irons. Today I hit them the best I’ve hit them since getting them. Making the tweak in my setup/beginning of my swing has given me an extra 5-7 yards, which now having to adjust for the yardages so I only hit one GIR, but that’s ok bc I had such great flight! Straight as an arrow and it was windy and still piercing flight. Played with the 2019 CSX TT I had laying around. I’m getting more and more comfortable with these clubs and I think my favorite iron in the set is the 4-iron. The feel of these irons is unreal! First tournament of the year with them this Saturday!

Date just moved back this evening to may 10. It moved up this morning to April 19.

If it stays may 10 a couple days I'm done. Hopefully just an overnight thing. I don't want to come off terribly here but these moving dates are very very frustrating.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20210415-224316_AfterShip.jpg

TCB's in the States finally! My guys might get a half day tomorrow, just so I can be home.

I'm not @'ing you. Just informing you, again, that the name of them is STAMPED ON THE HOSEL. 😆

Date just moved back this evening to may 10. It moved up this morning to April 19.

If it stays may 10 a couple days I'm done. Hopefully just an overnight thing. I don't want to come off terribly here but these moving dates are very very frustrating.
I feel your pain. Mine moved to 10 May right after customer service said that the 26 Apr date should be good. Like you I am close to pulling the plug. I am playing really well with the X-Forged CBs. I had a 2B10 that I cancelled because it was going to take 5 months. These floating dates are hard to understand with all the technology out there these days.

I feel your pain. Mine moved to 10 May right after customer service said that the 26 Apr date should be good. Like you I am close to pulling the plug. I am playing really well with the X-Forged CBs. I had a 2B10 that I cancelled because it was going to take 5 months. These floating dates are hard to understand with all the technology out there these days.

Waiting is hard, made harder when estimated dates shift without any explanation or are so long the new clubs would miss a big hunk of a season. I also get frustrated when I am stuck between a retail shop and an OEM and can't get information directly, although in this year I am not sure anyone really knows. It is hope and prayers for us consumers and apparently the same for the equipment companies. I already pulled the plug on one ordered iron set after 8 weeks when i was told it would be at least 6 more and might do that again with my Apex combo order if I can't get some information sooner than later. Backing out of an order is not my norm. It's not a normal year.

It sucks but without buying stock we're all kind of at the mercy of component availablity. The grip and shaft trouble I don't think was foreseen. I mean, a major OEM announced one of their new ball releases wouldn't be available until mid June, the day after they were released. The supply chain is broken. At least you already have the XFCB's and are playing well with them.

Last edited:
It sucks but without buying stock we're all kind of at the mercy or component availablity. The grip and shaft trouble I don't think was foreseen. I mean, a major OEM announced one of their new ball releases wouldn't be available until mid June, the day after they were released. The supply chain is broken. At least you already have the XFCB's and are playing well with them.
Yeah, I am being told this is a Callaway component problem. The shafts and grips were not the issue when I called. Like you said supply chain/production is broken. Large box companies should have this figured out by now. Some of these dates would actually put us only a few months out from the next release???? My idea is give me your product and I'll see about paying you for it in 5-months...bad business model and so is this. Callaway has lost more money from me in the last month or so due to cancelling a few orders because 5-months or more is unacceptable for this consumer.

I'll wait for now but if it moves past my B-Day in May I'm out.

Obviously something that was supposed to show up in the next week was delayed until the first week of May, and that absolutely stinks for us and I'm sure for the folks at Callaway. I do think that they need to improve their infrastructure communication-wise - this item was originally promised late March, and it's going to be at least 6 weeks late, and the only reason I know is that I have dug into my order status and checked. I think an auto-email message would be pretty appropriate just saying the date has changed and here's a link if that causes you to need to cancel. I received that for the furniture item I ordered for my daughter that is delayed. Im not suggesting any club manufacturer is doing it well, but that's my take. However I will still continue to point out that @DNevsCG is a class act and the reason I'm sticking, because when someone works that hard to do the right thing, you want to reward it.

Most of my golf purchases this year have been from Callaway, but I’ve also purchased from two other big OEMs and those purchases have taken far longer than anything I purchased from Callaway. I waited 7 weeks for a set of irons, so I completely understand the frustration. It sucks. But it’s definitely not specific to Callaway. I mean, I had to look a half dozen places just to find some MCC Aligns in stock—and I later got a call telling me they could fulfill only half my order. Hang tight!

I agree...I love Callaway (look at my signature)...but that does not mean that I can't be frustrated with the current situation. Some wait time is acceptable...5-months is hard to imagine. I think Callaway has great customer service but you got to let folks know that what is currently going on is not helpful or okay.

Just my opinion won't stop me from buying Callaway.

I agree...I love Callaway (look at my signature)...but that does not mean that I can't be frustrated with the current situation. Some wait time is acceptable...5-months is hard to imagine. I think Callaway has great customer service but you got to let folks know that what is currently going on is not helpful or okay.

Just my opinion won't stop me from buying Callaway.

I agree with you too; didn’t meant to suggest your frustration wasn’t warranted. I’ve just had some better luck with Callaway than others. With these types of delays, it also seems like OEMs shouldn’t be charging your card until goods ship.

When I ordered the 4 iron there was an error on the order due to a browser caching some info. I called the next day to correct it but they couldn’t because they were already building it. We had to cancel and put in the correct order but it keeps getting pushed back. I checked this morning and it is moved back another few weeks. Kind of my fault on this one but a bummer anyway.

The senior rep I spoke with on Monday also pointed to the fact that those dates are based on a simple formula of component purchase order plus build time. They shouldn't be on component purchase orders but rather when they actually have them. Apparently Carlsbad is working on a new system for updating shipping times including posting whether or not the order will be backordered (lead time of more than 1-2 weeks) before the customer places the order. Love Callaway but I think we are all frustrated. Patience is a virtue my mother would say.

Getting my combo set out for another round here this afternoon! Been gaming my 790s the last couple of rounds, so stoked to get back in these and see how they hold up.

Back