First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

20210420_215243.jpg

Also, all those heads have the same shaft. When I'm done comparing them in a couple weeks, this ^ is gonna happen. I've been waiting a long time to put these two together.

Another night with the Pros that I was more confident in them than I was in my wedges. I was only going to play nine tonight but the course was empty so I played four extra holes and just dropped balls at certain distances to see how I good I could keep my dispersion. Through three of those holes (one was a par 3) I played from 170 yards down to 130 yards and dropped a ball every 10. So 15 different shots with 8i, 9i and PW where I had to step on them, play them normally or flight it down a little all depending on the distance. I hit the green on 12 of 15 attempts. The Pros just work.

I do wish I would have gone with the MMT 95s though. I am overdrawing/slight pulling occasionally and I'm guessing a little of that has to do with the regular flex of the 85s instead of my standard stiff. But it's a small complaint that I can live with for the season when I'm seeing the consistency and dispersion I currently am.

Last edited:
20210420_234002.jpg20210420_234111.jpg20210420_234754.jpg

Comparing them to other clubs up close, they're very similar in size to the P7MC I love. Soles are nearly the same throughout. MC just a little thinner around the 5i, but wedges are pretty spot on. So that might work fine @NVGOLFER80 . They look thicker next to the MB's obviously, but I cancelled a p7mb order early on because I played really well with the MC short irons.

@OldandStiff love the pics... but no love for the standard Apex 21's or DCB's ??? ;)

After hitting the Pro 7 demo iron with MMT85 Reg flex shafts at the range I decided to look for a set to compare to my Combo set with Dart shafts...not hitting the Apex 6 & 7 in the combo set very well..
One of the advantages to being standard length and standard lie (just your average Joe) is finding a standard set.. I found a new set on EBay from what looks like a very reputable dealer.( I hope) at a very good price...Should be here next Tuesday! I really didn’t want to order thru Callaway after reading all these horror stories with delivery times...
Will file a report next week...

I think my favorite so far this week is the 5 iron...

@OldandStiff thank you very much for all of the pics! Love the close ups and especially like the identification of what clubs they are. That helps a ton! I'm thinking standard Apex but after seeing these I could possibly also go with the Pros

Got a solid range session in yesterday and the combo set continues to impress. I hit the pros within ~5 yards of my 790s and they feel so much nicer. Obviously the 790s are a bit more forgiving but at this point I'm pretty much settled on the Apex combo set. I like that the short irons are a little more demanding. The profile looks great and I feel like my success rate is similar, so I'm just going to roll with it. I was fitted into the 790s but these just feel more 'right' to me. May be my history with previous Apex releases, whatever it is I'll take it.

I know it’s not the end all be all. But... compared to the tcb, the x forged looks like it has a ton of offset.
Yeah, everyone's likes and needs are different, but my very first reaction to the XFCB was 'that's the most offset I've seen on a players iron of that type'. And as much as I love the look and feel, that just didn't work for me. Small group that it does imo. These definitely fit my eye better.

Yeah, everyone's likes and needs are different, but my very first reaction to the XFCB was 'that's the most offset I've seen on a players iron of that type'. And as much as I love the look and feel, that just didn't work for me. Small group that it does imo. These definitely fit my eye better.
For sure. I am glad these came available. The X Forged are nice. But these check more boxes for me.

Congrats! There might still be hope for some of us :unsure: whose dates keep moving around like a piñata :LOL:.
Mine just bounced back a week and a half to mid-May now. Better than late May and better than the odd July date I was quoted at one point. Still so darn frustrating.

4 iron date was in May now changed to being packed. I'm excited for it. Last set I stopped at 5 and felt like that was the longest iron in the set I should game. After getting enough time and seeing how easy to hit the new 5 iron is I had to order the 4.

Just got the call. Irons are in. I will head out and hit them on the sim this afternoon. We'll see how the specs feel and get some initial data on distances and gapping. I have high hopes for the apex mixed combo set (AW-4). Let's start this on the right foot. 😁

I had the best iron striking day of my life yesterday with my Apex 21 / mmt combo. I got more greens than I ever have before and scored really well. These are going to be hard to knock out of the bag

I think I would take replacement body parts off the trash heap if offered right now, but I am at the range after my round because the TCB's feel that. freaking. good.

I think all bag competitions are pretty much over. Love that feeling. No issues with the turf or too high of flight. They're delicious.

Last edited:
Latest story from the reps is 8, 9, and AW heads are not in until early May (maybe as this is an estimate). Grips had to be replaced but last week they were not an issue. Shafts also became and issue since last week. What a hot mess!:(:rolleyes::unsure:
Certainly had no issue finding my bank account! Lol!

Latest story from the reps is 8, 9, and AW heads are not in until early May (maybe as this is an estimate). Grips had to be replaced but last week they were not an issue. Shafts also became and issue since last week. What a hot mess!:(:rolleyes::unsure:
Feel your pain. I always wonder how they have components one week and then they have an issue with it. Good luck. Hopefully in soon.

Funny how accounting is never lagging behind eh? Lol.

I have no dog in this cause I still love my Apex 19 bag and not really looking to change. I AM in the import business and things are so difficult right now. Everything from container space to upstream and downstream component materials as well as base materials are changing on An almost daily basis in my industry and I suspect many others.
I feel for all those in limbo and can only say hang in there if these are the clubs for you. I am certain that Callaway is just as disappointed as you and are trying to get this situation rectified for all customers ASAP.

GOOD LUCK FELLAS!

Picked up my new irons, apex mixed combo AW-4 with Catalyst 100 6.0 shafts. All were in spec with the exception of the 4i. Quick bend fix. Did a very initial gapping session on qcquad. I have a large gap at 8i to 7i, right where the set splits (see below - average carry distances of 3 swings each club). That said, these were my first swings with the clubs, and some of the gap will be from tentative swings with the shorter irons as I warmed up and remembering the 7i from the fitting and swinging with a little more pizazz. I am also slow to get a feel for new irons. I will revisit gaps in a few weeks after I get used to the clubs. I then went and hit range balls outside. Clubs felt much better off real grass -- I try to pick off of mats to avoid hand pain -- and it helps me to see the ball flight. Lower than my current setup. I am darn impressed with these. Walked 3 holes to finish. I enjoyed hitting 4i off the tee. I hit is much better than I did with the gap session. It will be a beasty weapon in the arsenal. Fun first session.

Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 7.01.05 PM.png

Back