First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

Okay, so part of this is definitely my fault -

I took the wife for a fitting after our round today, and surprisingly (because I hadn't really thought about them for her), the Apex DCBs with Recoil Darts is what she hit best. Which.. great! I love Apex, we'll be a Callaway family! She already plays a Rogue D driver I custom made for her and crushes it. ...

... Until I looked at the price of DCB's. 😕. I guess I'd never really thought much about it since they're not a fit for me, but being the same price as my TCB's is a seriously tough pill to swallow when there's Mizuno and Ping lineups right on the wall next to them that she hit well too. I went from Yay! to Can I interest you in a Hot Metal or a G425? real freaking quick.

And right or wrong, I'll tell you right now I'm not paying that kind of money for those irons for her. I'm honestly surprised I haven't heard more about the disparity on that. I don't know anyone who has bought DCB's, and after talking with them about it, the stores here are mostly sitting on their original stock sets they were sent, so maybe it's having an effect but just isn't being talked about? It doesn't seem to fit with some of the other company models though. I could be way off on this because they're just outside my purview, but it kind of blindsided me.
Why would the Apex DCBs be priced cheaper than the rest of the Apex line?
They are forged, and have similar tech with a larger footprint.

No reason, other than their performance peers.

I was thinking the same thing Dax. It could be argued that more tech goes into these super forgiving irons than a typical blade. And as you pointed out, they are forged so you get that better feel with the additional forgiveness. If anything, the crazy thing to me is the cost of blades when often there's not a ton of tech/ advancements packed into them yet they still are expensive.

I think the differentiator is that most in that very forgiving category don't do forged. I think that's where Callaway is trying to be a differentiator. They are targeting the golfer who needs forgiveness but wants a good looking iron that feels good.

I was thinking the same thing Dax. It could be argued that more tech goes into these super forgiving irons than a typical blade. And as you pointed out, they are forged so you get that better feel with the additional forgiveness. If anything, the crazy thing to me is the cost of blades when often there's not a ton of tech/ advancements packed into them yet they still are expensive.
I totally agree, I’m glad that put my ego aside and went with the DCBs this Apex cycle.
I could have totally played the regular Apex (like I did with the CF16 & Apex ‘19) , but the DCBs are giving me more forgiveness and I’m hitting more greens than before.

I think that there might be a lot of golfers that went with the Apex Pros that should have went regular Apex & golfers that went with the regular Apex that should have went with the DCBs for optimal performance...

I totally agree, I’m glad that put my ego aside and went with the DCBs this Apex cycle.
I could have totally played the regular Apex (like I did with the CF16 & Apex ‘19) , but the DCBs are giving me more forgiveness and I’m hitting more greens than before.

I think that there might be a lot of golfers that went with the Apex Pros that should have went regular Apex & golfers that went with the regular Apex that should have went with the DCBs for optimal performance...
I was in that group that went in thinking Apex Pros or a mixed set of Pros and standards. The fitting showed me that the pros would have been a mistake for my swing and miss. I have the DCBs a chance but my miss is a pull hook and I was hitting them way left in the fitting. With the swing work I've put in I'm considering building one up as a driving iron to see if it will work for me.

I have the DCBs a chance but my miss is a pull hook and I was hitting them way left in the fitting. With the swing work I've put in I'm considering building one up as a driving iron to see if it will work for me.
I have a friend I convinced to do that and he is just straight up roping shots. He's so good with it.

I can totally see that with something like the ZX4s where the face is the only thing that is forged...

I could easily have gone with the standard Apex. I am totally happy with the mixed set of Pros and Standard, but hitting the standard in the mid irons, I can tell that they would be just fine for me in the short irons.

Spent some time at the range today trying to develop some consistency with my DCB 5i. It's been a couple years since I played a 5i, so I tend to shy away from it. It also tends to be the club I pull when I add a 5th wedge. But after today, I'm not sure it can leave the bag. The first swing was a toe hook, which is what I've seen lately. Took a couple practice swings, and after giving myself a little more of a shoulder turn, I started to find center. I hit 3 of the best 5i shots I've ever hit in a row. Dead straight, penetrating flight, with plenty of height/descent angle.

I've been incredibly impressed with the Apex 6 - AW. The strength of my game right now is my iron play, and I think it has a lot to do with the forgiveness of these irons. My miss moved to the toe lately, and I honestly don't see much of a drop off in overall distance--maybe 5-10 yards? On one par 3, for example, I gunned 155 to a front pin, and knew instantly I hit it off the toe, but the flight was just a little push draw with less ball speed and height. Ball ended up finishing dead straight on the front fringe. Still had a 15-20 footer for birdie.

Good points. I was on the fence with which model to get. The Pros just didn’t work for me, and I probably didn’t put enough swings on the DCBs. The standard model felt great so I went with them.

Do you guys think the Pro's could be more variable in terms of distance vs. the 21's? I ask because it seems if the Pro is struck well the distance will be much farther than on slightly off-center hits....vs....the 21's which have a larger (seemingly) effective hitting area which might result in more consistent distances over 100's of shots.

Do you guys think the Pro's could be more variable in terms of distance vs. the 21's? I ask because it seems if the Pro is struck well the distance will be much farther than on slightly off-center hits....vs....the 21's which have a larger (seemingly) effective hitting area which might result in more consistent distances over 100's of shots.

My experience with the Pros so far is shots struck well and slightly off center go exactly the same distance.

My experience with the Pros so far is shots struck well and slightly off center go exactly the same distance.
My miss is low and towards the toe and i saw a big dropoff with the pro which is why i went with standard Apex. It managed my misses better. I guess it depends on how far you miss the center

Oh boy. Just saw the video of prominent UK youtuber saying the TCB could be played by just about anyone. That's... interesting. Not they they can't or shouldn't be. They're not a blade, but they're nowhere near even the Pros either.

My miss is low and towards the toe and i saw a big dropoff with the pro which is why i went with standard Apex. It managed my misses better. I guess it depends on how far you miss the center

Depends on the definition of a slight miss. If you miss all the way out on the toe past the grooves you will notice it. No doubt the standard Apex or the DCB have better ball speed retention on bigger misses.

Depends on the definition of a slight miss. If you miss all the way out on the toe past the grooves you will notice it. No doubt the standard Apex or the DCB have better ball speed retention on bigger misses.
I are familiar with this miss.

I never hit the standard Apex 21s but I do have a full set of Pros. They retain a pretty silly amount of distance on toe side hits. Not much of a heel guy myself so I'm unsure there. But they aren't really supposed to have super high distances when you aren't hitting the center. You'll be losing some distance but they do a great job of still getting the ball out there.

You will definitely get better distances throughout the face with the Standard Apex irons though. That was Callaway's goal. With the AI face and the new tungsten weighting, they increased the sweet spot horizontally as well as vertically. So I wouldn't be surprised at all in more consistent distances in the Apexs compared to the Pros depending on how the ball striking is going any specific day.

I never hit the standard Apex 21s but I do have a full set of Pros. They retain a pretty silly amount of distance on toe side hits. Not much of a heel guy myself so I'm unsure there. But they aren't really supposed to have super high distances when you aren't hitting the center. You'll be losing some distance but they do a great job of still getting the ball out there.

You will definitely get better distances throughout the face with the Standard Apex irons though. That was Callaway's goal. With the AI face and the new tungsten weighting, they increased the sweet spot horizontally as well as vertically. So I wouldn't be surprised at all in more consistent distances in the Apexs compared to the Pros depending on how the ball striking is going any specific day.

The distance consistency across the face is insane. I’ve been furious with my tee game. Nearly blew a gasket on the range today, and I just started firing 8i shots in rapid succession. All decent strikes—some a little toe side, some heel side. Yet, about 10 shots in a row that looked crazy similar.

The distance consistency across the face is insane. I’ve been furious with my tee game. Nearly blew a gasket on the range today, and I just started firing 8i shots in rapid succession. All decent strikes—some a little toe side, some heel side. Yet, about 10 shots in a row that looked crazy similar.
That DCB you got should be a decent little fairway finder if it comes down to it as well lol

Irons and hybrids are all I’ve got going for me right now. 🤣
Could be worse my friend! you could not have all the Apex goodness and really be struggling :p

Thanks for the response...as well as the other folks. I was thinking about situations where I'm in that "in-between" yardage and if I need to depend upon getting the most out of a club, I would prefer to not be thinking "I better it this darn near perfect"....but rather hit it "decently well".

Has anyone hit the '21 3 and 4 irons? They (to me) look like they'd be as easy to hit as any hybrid.. For me, hybrids are fine but I can't really depend upon consistent distances like irons.

I have the 21's 5 and 6 DCB's and7 - AW standard. Don't carry a 3 or 4 but will be getting the 4 DCB. The 5 DCB is just super easy to hit and I would expect the same from the 4DCB. The 6DCB is really automatic. Love the standards 7 - AW but if I compare the 7 Standard to the 6DCB the 6 just seems easier to hit. But I am very happy with the 7 and up standard just making a comparison I think would translate to the 4 or 3. Just great irons so you really can't go wrong.@GolfLivesMatter

Has anyone hit the '21 3 and 4 irons? They (to me) look like they'd be as easy to hit as any hybrid.. For me, hybrids are fine but I can't really depend upon consistent distances like irons.
Another good option if you prefer irons over hybrids is the X Forged UTs (2020 or 2021).

Back