First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

So with the shaft and grip change I made on Wednesday, my clubs shipped today (as opposed to sometime in July). I had paid for overnight shipping but since they are coming from Mexico not sure if that really holds true or not. Hopefully I get them by Tue/Wed next week.
Nice! My X Forged UT came within a day or so in February. Shipped at around 5 or 6pm central from Mexico on a Wed. Arrived on Friday morning. Hope they arrive soon!

Last couple of questions:

Which Callaway irons are the softest feeling upon impact, even on mishits?

Do graphite shafts ruin the feel or weighting?

It depends on how bad the mishit. If you are significantly away from the center then my personal opinion is that the standard Apex and DCB models have a softer feeling on those misses.
As for graphite, I have always played steel shafts (most recently Nippon Modus 105) and am a big feel guy. I am playing graphite for the first time (MMT) and they have great feel, are swingweighted the way i want, and I'm playing my best golf.

I hit the TCB's like crap for a while today. I don't recommend it. They won't offer sympathy. In fact, I think they get kind of annoyed the more you do it. :LOL:

20210507_141910.jpg

This is the putt I had left for eagle on a long par five yesterday. Yes I freaking missed it but that's not what this post is about. I hit a big drive right down the middle leaving me 205 dead into a pretty strong wind. I was not sure if I had enough club but I knew that I did not want to go over the green so I let it rip with the standard Apex 5 iron. I hit a low bullet straight at the flag that kicked up dirt every time it bounced and it barely rolled on to the front of the green.

I have been very impressed with the std. Apex long irons in my mixed combo set. I had a full set of 2019 Apex Pro's last year and while I truly loved that set overall the longer irons were hit and miss with a lot of the latter. This year I have more confidence in my long irons and when I feel like I can hit the shot good thing happen. I used the DCB 4 iron off the deck twice yesterday trying to hit the green from 225 yards. I did not succeed either time but the ball was pin high both times with one on the left fringe and one that I pulled but it was an easy pitch up to the pin.

My mixed combo set coupled with the DCB 4 iron has been great overall. I wish I could say that I only hit great shots with them but the truth is that I hit a lot of bad shots during a round. The nice thing is those bad shots are still in the fairway or close and the distance retention of the longer clubs has made my next shot easier due to it being shorter.

Well I received my set of Apex Pros 5 thru AW with MMT 85 Reg flex shafts last Friday. I bought these off eBay from a very reputable seller. They came as advertised brand new in the original box. I bought these to compare them to my Combo set 6 thru AW with Recoil Dart Reg flex shafts that I bought from Callaway in February when they were first released.
The first thing that stood out to me was how thin the MMT shaft is. It almost looks like a junior club shaft. The other difference was in the Pro 5,6 &7 with the Tungsten is the clicking sound it makes with contact of the ball. I should note that I don’t find either one of the differences bother me .
Now, performance wise I hit both of these shafts very straight. I think Callaway did a fantastic job matching the Combo set with the Darts and the Pros with the MMT. Although the Combo set is stronger lofted I found the ball flight to be very similar and I believe this is a result of the matched shafts to the different heads. The Combo set is definitely longer as you get to the longer clubs.
I have never considered my iron play to be a very strong point of my game, particularly the longer irons. This is why I carry a 3,4 &5 hybrid. This is why the biggest surprise was how well I hit the 6 &7 Pro. These are really easy to hit irons.
I would have to say that after 1 week of comparison I am leaning towards the Combo set, only because of the extra distance. I am 65 so ine the last 3 years I have lost some distance in my game so I am really looking for the extra distance in my irons.
I am going to continue testing these clubs for another week before I make my final decision on who is staying and who is leaving, Someone is going to get a Great deal with no waiting!,!

28E2157B-DA2F-444A-8950-ED9C93F6BFD1.jpeg

Welp….I’m not worthy….but lets see what these look like.

20210509_011859.jpg

I'm likely to play less well the next couple weeks, so I commented about taking the full Pro set out earlier for a little help, but then remembered @DNice26 had requested an Apex Quadruple Combo be played at some point. So why not now?! If we don't get rained out in the morning, this bag is for you dude. I call it Callaway Medley. :)

View attachment 9006992

I'm likely to play less well the next couple weeks, so I commented about taking the full Pro set out earlier for a little help, but then remembered @DNice26 had requested an Apex Quadruple Combo be played at some point. So why not now?! If we don't get rained out in the morning, this bag is for you dude. I call it Callaway Medley. :)
Looking forward to your thoughts on that setup. (y)

View attachment 9006992

[/QUOTE]

Not sure I’d request such a thing…but enjoy! Lol. Jealous you are playing….again! Have a great round. 59 watch!

View attachment 9006992

Not sure I’d request such a thing…but enjoy! Lol. Jealous you are playing….again! Have a great round. 59 watch!
[/QUOTE]
In my mind it was you, and you can't search for 'promise' (too many promises here?), or the 15 other things I remember being in that very unconventional exchange, because they're too common. So we're just gonna go with it was you. :p

We have a break in the rain, and might be CPO'ing, but I'm looking forward to smacking the Medley around!

Got a little excited yesterday when my Pro order moved to 5/10 to 5/17 but checking it today it moved to 6/14 to 6/21. Will be calling tomorrow and getting my money back...this has been a fiasco from the beginning. Callaway has a lot to figure out in their supply chain and manufacturing.:((n)

So the Medley was fun! It was kind of cool to have each Apex other than the DCB in the bag and work yardages to try to hit all of them. And I did. Thoughts went like this.

Standard Apex 3 & 4 irons are so easy to hit, and they really move. Pretty spicy in a 4i for what I'm used to these days. Sound and feel nice, really easy to lift off the turf - and that's where they lose me a bit. Really windy conditions like today and something that wants to get up that much (and that quickly) can kind of work against my goals.

Apex Pros sound noticeably different than the rest. It was really interesting having all 4 of those in the bag. Wife could pick out the sound of the pros. Clattering is the word she used. Not the word I would use, but she's an odd duck. lol Everyone likes what they like, and I play the 4i, but I mentioned in my first outing with them way back when that there's a multi-layer thing in the sound that isn't my favorite. It's got depth, but it rings in a little different way than others. Good flights and all that and plenty of juice for me.

The TCB are so soft off the face. Consistent and predictable and really sing when you do your part. I love these clubs. MB's are solid and wonderful and I could happily play those wedges in this turf for the rest of my days.

Lot of fun out there, and played pretty well for what we were doing. I think there are definitely people out there who could benefit from the 4-way combo in ways. Really interesting to progress through that much help all the way to getting no more than you give. Seemed like it could be really versatile in a well thought out set.

Got a little excited yesterday when my Pro order moved to 5/10 to 5/17 but checking it today it moved to 6/14 to 6/21. Will be calling tomorrow and getting my money back...this has been a fiasco from the beginning. Callaway has a lot to figure out in their supply chain and manufacturing.:((n)

yeah that would be super frustrating. unfortunately i think every oem is experiencing this.

i actually put together a set of pro 21 on the site today it said shipping 1-2 weeks. wonder why that would be? maybe your build has components that are an issue? either way sorry it didn’t work out.

yeah that would be super frustrating. unfortunately i think every oem is experiencing this.

i actually put together a set of pro 21 on the site today it said shipping 1-2 weeks. wonder why that would be? maybe your build has components that are an issue? either way sorry it didn’t work out.
Yep, it is frustrating, understand the delays but cannot understand the supply systems not talking to each other. A customer should have a reasonable expectation of the "actual" time of delivery. More frustrating is that they are taking people's money without delivering products. Maybe I'll reach out to one of their staffers and see if they'll order it for me. :unsure:

After far too long and way too many phone calls on my pros...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210510-192423_Gmail~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20210510-192423_Gmail~2.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 16
After far too long and way too many phone calls on my pros...
Congrats man...I hope they workout for you after waiting for so long.

Congrats man...I hope they workout for you after waiting for so long.
Appreciate it. Sorry yours didn't work out. The wife talked me off the cliff a few times with these.

I pulled that standards and went with a Pro 4 & 5, TCB 6 - 9, MB P & A set today. 8 birdies and an eagle. There's something to this... I'm strongly considering keeping the MB wedges in the bag, Pro 4, the rest TCB for a bit. I like being able to knock down and spin the wedges, and the thinner soles are handy. Those MB's have never done me wrong.

I pulled that standards and went with a Pro 4 & 5, TCB 6 - 9, MB P & A set today. 8 birdies and an eagle. There's something to this... I'm strongly considering keeping the MB wedges in the bag, Pro 4, the rest TCB for a bit. I like being able to knock down and spin the wedges, and the thinner soles are handy. Those MB's have never done me wrong.

How would you compres the Pro 21 Long irons vs the Apex TCB’s? (4i-6i)

After a good range session yesterday I'm putting my mixed combo set in the backup spot for now. They're close on distance across the board with my P790s, but I'm just a little more consistent with the TMs. Shocker that the irons I was fitted into won out. 🤪 Gonna pull the MMTs and give something else a try to see if I can bring these in a bit. Currently leaning toward Modus since that's what I was fitted into in my previous irons. Regardless, these will still get plenty of play this season. Just not my go to set right now for league or competitive play.

It's done... in the end I went with a full set of DCB's.
It was the best decision for me.

I like this setup. Or at least in my head it makes sense…

4-5 X Forged UT
6-7 X Forged CB
8-P Apex TCB

Hey @OldandStiff have you tried that?

I like this setup. Or at least in my head it makes sense…

4-5 X Forged UT
6-7 X Forged CB
8-P Apex TCB
@OldandStiff have you tried that?
No, but I'm a big fan of it in theory. BIG. I've paired the XFCB long irons and my UTs with a variety of clubs, and the TCB mid-short with a bunch more too. From a visual and feel continuity perspective this setup sounds awesome. Seriously. Some lift and forgiveness in the longs, great feel and flight without too much spin in the mids, and some precision in the shorts ... I dig it. I would take that out.

For as much as some people dog him, that sounds like a Crossfield bag. And I like his ideas about going all the way from big forgiveness to precision in the span of 7 irons.

Last edited:
20210505_222602.jpg

I'm getting used to my new bag this year and loving it so far. The Apex 21 irons work great for me. Wanted the Apex Pros but these just get better results. Glad I didn't have the delays

Back