First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

Order is in for the Pros. As of now anticipated ship date is mid October. Let's hope they are under promising and will over deliver. Either way, really looking forward to getting them. Demo'ed them a bunch of times before pulling the trigger and really enjoyed them.

Call their CS if you haven't already. I know that grips have been holding up some orders.

Really want to pull the trigger, it's either pros 5-w in standard loft lie -.25" with s400 shafts or apex21 5-w 2 degrees weak with elevate 115X same lie and length!!
Anyone have standards bent weak and having turf issues??
@JohnnyCallaway made his own Apex's 2* weak and had pretty great success with them. You can read about it went for him here

But regarding your question about turf issues, he also answers that in this thread. But just being quick, here's what it said about it

The other question I have, is, how will bending these irons a degree or two weak affect the turf interaction/flight, etc?

This is where I had to go to the experts on the truck to get the answer and the answer was a resounding “nothing”. The reasoning behind that answer was due to the leading edge relief and what is basically a pretty low bounce sole, to begin with. 2 degrees up or down won’t do much except add/or subtract a touch of spin. Any more than a couple of degrees is where you will start to see some problems. Especially in the shorter clubs. The shafts play a big part in this as well, Tour Issue X100 is a tip-stiff, heavy profile. I think that the combo of the weaker lofts, low launching shaft, and forgiveness of the head may add up to something pretty cool.

Order is in for the Pros. As of now anticipated ship date is mid October. Let's hope they are under promising and will over deliver. Either way, really looking forward to getting them. Demo'ed them a bunch of times before pulling the trigger and really enjoyed them.

I’ve had clubs come sooner and some later than the estimates they gave.

What did you order?

@JohnnyCallaway made his own Apex's 2* weak and had pretty great success with them. You can read about it went for him here

But regarding your question about turf issues, he also answers that in this thread. But just being quick, here's what it said about it

Cheers for this, I've seen this just wondered if anyone here had first hand experience? It's something I've been looking at doing or I go straight into the pros

OK, the great Catalyst 100 experiment in my Apex 21 irons is over and did not work out as well as I hoped. The biggest issue was a case of the "lefts" with them.

I had the original Steelfiber fc90 Stiff put back in and played them today, without a visit to the range.

Shot +1 and hit 7 of 9 greens with one miss hitting the green but rolling off the back. Granted this is a par 3 executive course...

I was very happy with the ball flight and distances. I'll forego any more experimentation with these irons. :rolleyes:

Gah the pros are so fricking good! Flush shots, especially on the long irons are intoxicating!

After a few rounds and several shot with the Apex Pro. I have a little problems with the Elevate 115 stiff.
In my old X Forged -18 i play the PX 5.5 and the felt much better.
The Elevate feels a lot softer and a little wippy.

Talk to a Callaway dealer today and he said. If i love the X Forged -18, i should have bought the TCB.

What do you other Apex pro and TCB owners say about that?

After a few rounds and several shot with the Apex Pro. I have a little problems with the Elevate 115 stiff.

Talk to a Callaway dealer today and he said. If i love the X Forged -18, i should have bought the TCB.

I’m surprised he said TCB and not the new XForged.

I played the XForged with PX 6.0 for 3 years and the Elevate in stiff felt very soft when I tried them. I went with a flex stiffer in the Elevate and enjoy them.

Apex pro have been a big improvement for me especially in the long irons. Not that surprising though because they Are designed to offer more help there.

I mean, it's hard to know what encouraged the statement. If it was blind, or if you said something about different wants that might have led him to it. I could see where someone might go there either way though. The pros do set themselves outside the 18X and TCB in terms of tech and feel a bit, so if that's what's important it would make some sense. They're more minimal to the pros everything packed in. The TCB's will be more demanding than the pros by a good amount though, because of that.

‘21 Apex Pro irons with MMT shafts…..best irons I have ever owned and played…..PERIOD!
Likewise! I have the MMT 105's and they are stiff but with some kick in the tip that makes me feel the loading. Good forgiveness but yet workability in the mid and short irons and the Pro long irons just flat out fly!

Want to give a shout out to the Apex TCB's for being rock stars on head to head monitor stuff the last few weeks. They've obviously killed it for me on course the last few months, and I love them. They're kind of my benchmark when trying something else right now. And putting them up against the T100 a bunch, and the i59 a few times, it's pretty obvious how good they are. One thing keeps shining through. The consistency and low std. deviations. ESPECIALLY with spin numbers. Just unbelievable.

I've lent them out some, and the response has been mostly ehh. Look and feel good, but found challenging for consistency for some of them. I have to believe that's a shaft thing for a couple of them, because IO's are a little weird, and some of those guys are really good.

I started to notice it, again? , moreso? when testing them against the T100 fitting heads. There was a curious thing where I was hitting the T100 well, and my TCB's, and with a higher spin ball they were very close in a lot of ways. The weird thing was that when I switched to a lower spinning ball, the T100 dipped more, and deviation got wider. TCB reatined a little more, and was crazy consistent about it. Could have been a sample anamoly, but it stood out, and got me watching the spin consistency of the TCB's closer.

And it's been impressive. In my on course praise of them I've said I know exactly what I'm getting with them each time. Part of that is a lack of tech help, but part is that I can play 2 ball and just drop them right on top of eachother again and again. Anyway, I'm kind of an obsessive perfectionist and somewhat hard to impress, and I'm continually impressed by these.

The Pros arrived last night. That was very fast from Callaway, I'm impressed. Not sure there is a better looking iron out there. Initial range session was very positive. Great feel, and a very nice high ball flight. Distance seemed maybe slightly shorter than I had hoped, but these are more traditionally lofted than I usually play, and tough to tell on the range with range balls. Was pleasantly surprised at how easy the 4 iron was to hit and elevate. Will be back on the range today, and then first round tomorrow.

It's been a while, so I just wanted to stop back in and say that the PW might be the best club in my bag.

Shot my best round, well, ever, in league last night and a ton of it had to do with these irons. When my game is on the Pro scoring irons are just deadly! On my not so good days I do struggle a bit, but man I just hit some sick shots. It was one of the most stressful and fun 9 holes in the last couple of years.

Shot of the day was on 6. Had 148 to a back pin on a roller coaster green where missing short is a large uphill putt, but going long is death. It's match play so I'm pretty aggressive. 3/4 8I to 3 feet and a birdie that put us at dormie.

2nd range session was pretty good with the new Pros. Getting about 10-12 yards in between clubs which is really good. Peak height was around 105 feet with most clubs which is nice and high. The feel of these even with range balls is outstanding. Can't wait to flush one with a chrome soft tomorrow.

TCB's FTMF'ING WIN!

That is all.

TCB's FTMF'ING WIN!

That is all.
Awesome.
I'm quite happy with my Apex Pro 21s. Performance, looks, feels, distances, flights are all where I want them. Could maybe use a little more help high on the face as thats the only miss that I really notice a big dropoff.
The finish quality continues to be decidedly not good IMO. Really my only negative thing to say about them.

Awesome.
I'm quite happy with my Apex Pro 21s. Performance, looks, feels, distances, flights are all where I want them. Could maybe use a little more help high on the face as thats the only miss that I really notice a big dropoff.
The finish quality continues to be decidedly not good IMO. Really my only negative thing to say about them.
Some of the new satin finishes are not very durable, but what can you do. It's cool you're otherwise loving the Pros though man. I only play the 4i, but I totally get what you're saying about high on the face. I can get a little deep on occasion and suspended lies in the bermuda just beg for it. Most of the new ones aren't great up there though. T100 gives you nothing high on the face. ZX7 alittle better imo. These are fun clubs though. I've started to see a lot of Apex Pros out there. Can spot them from a good distance!

My Apex Pros look pretty good for getting them out almost 50 times this year. The key there though is I’ve avoided the driving range.

Finish durability has to be my biggest complaint. Or really my only complaint.

Have now played a few rounds with my Apex Pros with the elevate 115 stiff.
They feel a little bit soft to me, came from a X Forged -18 with PX 6.0.
Today me friend bought a Apex pro with the Nippon modus 120 x stiff.
Must say they feels not like x stiff, very soft to be x stiff..

Have now played a few rounds with my Apex Pros with the elevate 115 stiff.
They feel a little bit soft to me, came from a X Forged -18 with PX 6.0.
Today me friend bought a Apex pro with the Nippon modus 120 x stiff.
Must say they feels not like x stiff, very soft to be x stiff..
How do the joints feel after using the PX 6.0 shafts??

Must say that they feel pretty good
I got fit into these in x100, felt great, launched pretty low for me and spun about where it should be! Struggle with elbow n wrist pain now and again! I'd like these in some P770

I got fit into these in x100, felt great, launched pretty low for me and spun about where it should be! Struggle with elbow n wrist pain now and again! I'd like these in some P770
Ok, thanks. Well, i gonna try out my friends 120x and see if there gonna be any different between elevate and nippon.

Had a nice 78 in the heat today. Just love the accuracy of my DCBs. I can draw them if needed, but they are dead straight for me on regular swings. I'm also enjoying the half shots from inside 100. Can't remember an iron that's been this consistent in accuracy and length for me.

Back