First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

Long high bombs with that setup. MMT may be the first non-steel iron shaft where I was addicted from first swing. I want to try the 105s if I can get my hands on some.

Yea I’m in trouble now. One bucket with a seven iron and I’m hooked. Pretty sure the MMT 95S is what I need, but also just want to hit the 105S like you to make sure. I’ll stop at a store this weekend to see. Looks like I’m on the hunt for 5-AW CF21 with MMT 95S.

Yea I’m in trouble now. One bucket with a seven iron and I’m hooked. Pretty sure the MMT 95S is what I need, but also just want to hit the 105S like you to make sure. I’ll stop at a store this weekend to see. Looks like I’m on the hunt for 5-AW CF21 with MMT 95S.

I probably won't mess with it much this year, but may be worth a trip to CC or a similar fitter to see how they play before I get too far into next season.

I probably won't mess with it much this year, but may be worth a trip to CC or a similar fitter to see how they play before I get too far into next season.

CC near me didn’t even have those shafts to try. They only had the 80g. I cxld a fitting I had scheduled with them due to that.

CC near me didn’t even have those shafts to try. They only had the 80g. I cxld a fitting I had scheduled with them due to that.

Yeah I’m hoping there’ll be more selection next spring. Same experience for me my last fitting at CC.

With the Grandaddy on the horizon I'm motivated to post a quick follow up about my irons.

Apex Pro 21 5-AW - Modus 130 Stiff

Pros:
1) They're sexy. Bag appeal has never been higher, and the look at address is delightful.
2) The ball flight is more or less exactly what I like. Mid flight, easy to knock down, decent spin numbers paired with great speed.
3) The feel is awesome in the short irons. Long irons feel fast, but not dense.

Cons:
1) The satin finish is about as durable as 1-ply toilet paper after burrito night. It's a tough scene.

With the Grandaddy on the horizon I'm motivated to post a quick follow up about my irons.

Apex Pro 21 5-AW - Modus 130 Stiff

Pros:
1) They're sexy. Bag appeal has never been higher, and the look at address is delightful.
2) The ball flight is more or less exactly what I like. Mid flight, easy to knock down, decent spin numbers paired with great speed.
3) The feel is awesome in the short irons. Long irons feel fast, but not dense.

Cons:
1) The satin finish is about as durable as 1-ply toilet paper after burrito night. It's a tough scene.

i agree they are awesome irons, they will remain in my bag next year. It sucks that you are seeing durability issues as mine set (~100+ rounds) look really good. I will try and remember to take some photos this weekend and gauge your to mine.

Mine aren’t looking bad for 75 rounds. My 5 iron shows a little wear from the range the very first weekend. I haven’t hit them much on the range since and that has helped keep them looking better.

I haven't seen any durability issues with mine either. I think the CF16's satin finish was better, but these have held up pretty well.

Is the Pros satin finish different than the non pro version? Haven't heard of any complaints on the non pro. My CF19s finish is fine.

After a long fitting, I decided to switch from Apex21MBs to the standard Apex irons. I need something with more of a bounce and more forgiveness.

The blades were good, but the Apex is great for me. These feel like total cheater sticks. I make contact anywhere on the face, and it goes dead straight and long. I played twice this weekend. Both days my irons were solid. Today I made five birdies with them (need to get rid of my other 4 three putts).

Making the transition was pretty easy. I mentally assume my new 7 = my old 6, and so on, but I also had to get the Apex wedge to fill in between my 52 and pitching wedge.

These clubs could not be easier to hit. Even very fat shots that used to come up 40 yards short of the green are now only 5 yards short. I am not thinning the ball as much per round as there is more bounce.

Really glad I made the switch. These are going to make the game a lot easier for me. Huge props to Callaway and another additional shoutout for how fast they came, plus how easy Callaway Preowned was to buy from and trade in the MBs. It took under a week from my order to get them, including having them bent and cut to my length specs.

Is the Pros satin finish different than the non pro version? Haven't heard of any complaints on the non pro. My CF19s finish is fine.
I don't recall off hand on the faces, but the back of the clubs wear VERY differently. The Pros show a ton compared. Surely adds to an overall perspective on their durability.

I have a set of CF16 and that finish is very durable. The new pros satin finish definitely shows more wear than those. Whatever finish they had on my XForged UT was also super durable that thing shows barely any wear.

Boy, I tried to order a Apex club this morning. Eesh. 😕 They said it's going to be a different GD this year because of component concerns, and based on the severe lack of shaft options on the website, I believe it. I couldn't even figure out which one of the limited options would be the least worthless for me after re-shafting it when it arrived. I'm sure they have a bunch available for the tour and hopefully the guys this week, but that was an experience I didn't expect this morning. A little frustrating they won't sell heads when options are that limited.

I have a set of CF16 and that finish is very durable. The new pros satin finish definitely shows more wear than those. Whatever finish they had on my XForged UT was also super durable that thing shows barely any wear.

I’m getting the forged CF21’s eventually if I can find a set with MMT 95S, not the Pros. My forged CF19s have held up great.

Boy, I tried to order a Apex club this morning. Eesh. 😕 They said it's going to be a different GD this year because of component concerns, and based on the severe lack of shaft options on the website, I believe it. I couldn't even figure out which one of the limited options would be the least worthless for me after re-shafting it when it arrived. I'm sure they have a bunch available for the tour and hopefully the guys this week, but that was an experience I didn't expect this morning. A little frustrating they won't sell heads when options are that limited.

Maybe worth ordering a single club from CPO and reshafting? Or seeing if they have one in the shaft you're interested there?

Maybe worth ordering a single club from CPO and reshafting? Or seeing if they have one in the shaft you're interested there?
I've checked a few times. Never really any TCB on there. Saves about $10-20 for a used MB with the wrong shaft (lots of graphite) too. Doesn't seem worth it if I'm going to redo it anyway.

I've checked a few times. Never really any TCB on there. Saves about $10-20 for a used MB with the wrong shaft (lots of graphite) too. Doesn't seem worth it if I'm going to redo it anyway.

Ah, makes sense - didn't realize you were looking for a TCB. Yeah, the shaft setup is pretty grim out there these days. My shaft of choice is basically unavailable from any OEM.

Ah, makes sense - didn't realize you were looking for a TCB. Yeah, the shaft setup is pretty grim out there these days. My shaft of choice is basically unavailable from any OEM.
I'm used to re-shafting, but the options really threw me. What the heck do you even do with a DG R300? :LOL:

They still have MMT 105 TX, so I might go with one of those. At least I could probably sell it in an old wedge.

I'm used to re-shafting, but the options really threw me. What the heck do you even do with a DG R300? :LOL:

They still have MMT 105 TX, so I might go with one of those. At least I could probably sell it in an old wedge.

Good for tomato plantings, maybe.

Though amusingly I just checked, and the shaft I play is actually available from Callaway... Maybe the Apex 21s happen for me this year.

A couple shots stand out to me from the last round, approach shots on back to back holes from 60 yards and then 90 yards. Both times needing to keep the ball low because of tree branches above.

About a 1/4 swing with an AW and a 9i kept the ball under with a flat trajectory and had some serious check when it hit the green. So fun to be able to pull off shots like that.

Edit: My bad, wrong thread :LOL:

The Grandaddy this week has me pondering trading in the Apex MB's for some TCB's. Kinda whimsical like. :unsure:

The Grandaddy this week has me pondering trading in the Apex MB's for some TCB's. Kinda whimsical like. :unsure:
I'll take a moment to actually be serious here.

We've talked about them before, but there are trade offs with both when acutally on course. Look and feel obviously differ. TCB's have that slight ting to them that gives a mildly techy vibe you definitely notice on course. I kind of theorized about it in this

back when I first got mine. It almost sounds like the face flexes into the weight cavity, or you hear the strike translate through that area uniquely. It's not Apex Pro ish necessarily, but for as soft as they feel they don't sound like most of my other favorite CBs, and definitely a little off 'traditional'. The TCB's have noticeably more offset too. I know the spec sheets say otherwise, but every single person with an even remotely discerning eye can see it. TCB's actually have a fair bit, visually and actually imo, for what they are, and it affects flight for me. They turn over quicker than the blades for sure.

MB's have thinner soles and despite feeling like they both have similar effective bounce and lead edge they interact pretty differently with the turf. Little boxier sole for the TCBs stays on top a little more and depending on turf/conditions can move the strike just a tad. On drier or firmer courses I notice it especially. TCB's launch and fly higher for me as well and depending on what you want to do and where you play the flight difference can be noticeable, despite similar spin numbers for me. There are always differences in blade flight vs. CB.

TCBs are way more 'forgiving', and when I'm a little off (or hurting like now) a full set of TCB's is a good friend to have. Conversely, when I'm going well, there are things I miss at times. You're a blade guy so you get that. The MB's are always trying to creep their way back into my bag for matches and tournaments and at one point not long ago i was playing the MB's all the way through the 6i again. Pro 4, TCB 5, 6-A MB.

ALSO, unless I'm playing on the 7400y zoysia the MB AW will never be beat by any CB, even the TCB!! :p

@OldandStiff I really appreciate the thought you put into typing that all out. I'm watching the video now (which I had not seen before 🤯) will respond more in a minute 👊

That was an interesting look behind the removable weights on each of those, and great comparison all around. Thanks again for the video @OldandStiff . Honestly those last few sentences above about the MBs creeping back into the bag, are something that I can identify with. Right or wrong who knows, but I just like having them on hand as an option. The other interesting thing in that video was your comments about the modern "techy" forged feel vs. i.e. ZX7 "one layer" forged feel. One of the things I appreciate most about the ZX7 is that feel, and I guess that extends to most blades in general. Since I also have ZX7's as an option and enjoy them, its hard to be discontent with choices of blade or CB to take out. But...

I flirted with the XForged in fittings all season and liked them, including the feel. The TCB's seem like they could be a lot of fun. I think your comments reminded me the MB's deserve to stay. I'd miss them for what they are.

Little bit of off-season gearhead syndrome creeping in here. So many irons.

Back