First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

According to the last couple hours, TCBs work just as well, and still feel really good, in below freezing temps. Just letting you know in case you need to hit them IMMEDIATELY upon arrival. :D:D
It went from below zero to currently 41 outside. I may not have any snow by the time they show up :LOL:

Got out and played today, a little rust. Distances were down a club or so. Some of that is January and lower elevation and some of it is feeling like I am spinning these a ton right now.

I feel like I’m swinging a little steeper than usual I need to work some things out before trying something like a shaft change. Still had a good day by making sure to take an extra club on full shots.

Still waiting on the invoice from the club builder to officially place the order but finally made a decision.

The TCBs were locked in from the first time I hit them. Had to have them in my bag. Decided to go with the TCB in the 6-PW with Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 X100 shafts bent 1 degree strong with pro soft inserts to dampen the vibrations a bit due to my wrist pain that flares up at times (and apparently is something I just have to live with after getting an x-ray and MRI 🙄).

Once I got the shafts figured out, the big debate was the long irons. I kind of wanted to go full TCB 4-PW but some pics online kind of intimidated me. Ultimately decided I needed some more forgiveness up top so turned to Apex 21 or Apex Pro. Absolutely love the look of the Pros but I kept wondering if it would be enough forgiveness so I was hesitating. Gut was saying go with the Pros but I know the Apex 21 are probably a bit more forgiving.

So I originally submitted for the Apex 21 bent weak to blend with the TCBs. Later that day I stopped by Golf Galaxy to get a better look at the Apex 21 4 and 5 irons to make sure I made the right move. Unfortunately, I just didn’t love the look of them. A bit more bulky than I like and a bit more offset.

After thinking about it for a bit, I finally listened to my gut and emailed the club builder asking if it was too late to switch to the Apex Pros haha he said it wasn’t a problem luckily. I just knew if I got the regular Apex, I would constantly be wondering if I should’ve gone with the Pros. I can always order the Apex 21 in the 4 and 5 iron at a later date if I really wanted to compare.

I’m super pumped though and keep checking my email every like 10 minutes waiting for the invoice so I can get the order officially submitted and start the dreaded waiting period. Took about 5 swings with the TCBs to know there was no chance I was going into the summer without them in my bag. Can’t wait.

Still waiting on the invoice from the club builder to officially place the order but finally made a decision.

The TCBs were locked in from the first time I hit them. Had to have them in my bag. Decided to go with the TCB in the 6-PW with Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 X100 shafts bent 1 degree strong with pro soft inserts to dampen the vibrations a bit due to my wrist pain that flares up at times (and apparently is something I just have to live with after getting an x-ray and MRI 🙄).

Once I got the shafts figured out, the big debate was the long irons. I kind of wanted to go full TCB 4-PW but some pics online kind of intimidated me. Ultimately decided I needed some more forgiveness up top so turned to Apex 21 or Apex Pro. Absolutely love the look of the Pros but I kept wondering if it would be enough forgiveness so I was hesitating. Gut was saying go with the Pros but I know the Apex 21 are probably a bit more forgiving.

So I originally submitted for the Apex 21 bent weak to blend with the TCBs. Later that day I stopped by Golf Galaxy to get a better look at the Apex 21 4 and 5 irons to make sure I made the right move. Unfortunately, I just didn’t love the look of them. A bit more bulky than I like and a bit more offset.

After thinking about it for a bit, I finally listened to my gut and emailed the club builder asking if it was too late to switch to the Apex Pros haha he said it wasn’t a problem luckily. I just knew if I got the regular Apex, I would constantly be wondering if I should’ve gone with the Pros. I can always order the Apex 21 in the 4 and 5 iron at a later date if I really wanted to compare.

I’m super pumped though and keep checking my email every like 10 minutes waiting for the invoice so I can get the order officially submitted and start the dreaded waiting period. Took about 5 swings with the TCBs to know there was no chance I was going into the summer without them in my bag. Can’t wait.

You did it!!! :D

Like the combo! I played the Pro 4i with TCBs for a good chunk of '21. It works well. Little help and speed never hurt anybody! Congrats on the order man. Look forward to you joining a bunch of the GD guys getting those beauties out there to start this year!

You did it!!! :D

Like the combo! I played the Pro 4i with TCBs for a good chunk of '21. It works well. Little help and speed never hurt anybody! Congrats on the order man. Look forward to you joining a bunch of the GD guys getting those beauties out there to start this year!

Appreciate it! Also considered just doing the Pro in the 4 iron and then 5-PW in TCB. Figured I’d start with 4 and 5 iron and then ordering a TCB 5 iron could be another experiment down the line. Hoping these are in the bag for quite a while!

You made a great choice with the Pros. Insanely forgiving for their supposed profile. If I struggle with the 5i in my TCBs, my Apex Pro will be coming back in to give me some confidence.

20220112_155536.jpg20220112_155819.jpg20220112_160101.jpg

After playing just about everything the last couple weeks I was doing some comparisons been my 5 favorite irons a little bit ago. Thought I'd share a couple Apex ones for the guys with TCBs coming.

20220112_160251.jpg

They're almost the same length as the blades. No wonder I like them. :D

Down with medium/mildish Omicron staying in and trying to get some work done, but not very effectively.
UPS says "out for delivery" so it may be a good day after all! Needless to say, I'm stalking the front door, looking out the windows, checking for that brown delivery truck. 🚚 ⏳

CallowayOrder.JPG

View attachment 9059265View attachment 9059266View attachment 9059267

After playing just about everything the last couple weeks I was doing some comparisons been my 5 favorite irons a little bit ago. Thought I'd share a couple Apex ones for the guys with TCBs coming.

View attachment 9059268

They're almost the same length as the blades. No wonder I like them. :D

OMG those MB's :love:. That hits me right in the "haven't played golf for 3 months want to launch some 6 iron" feels. (y) That blade length on the TCB lines right up. A couple of appealing packages right there!

Came a day later than expected, but man these are beauties! They're basically brand new - thanks Callaway CPO! Can't wait to get out there this weekend and give them a few swings.

Apex DCB(1).jpg

I like the look of the Pro Hollow bodies. I can't afford them, but they are nice to eyeball.

So the club builder said he was just waiting on the Callaway rep to get the Pros ordered. Never heard from him all week. Emailed today and he said the first Callaway rep said yes on the combo set and then another rep said no. And that he sold all his TCB sets and wouldn’t have any more in until next month.

So I ended up just ordering directly through Callaway and switched the shafts from the DG 120 X100 to the MMT105TX. Have continued to read really good things about the MMT shafts and they should be a really good fit. Plus I figured if I didn’t love them, I could easily have them pulled and likely sold for the cost of the DG 120 shafts since those aren’t crazy expensive.

Super pumped to see them in person though and get them on the course in the next 2-3 weeks (fingers crossed but that’s the timeframe Callaway quoted me).

I think one of the most underrated features about the Apex’s are playing out of fairway bunkers. These clubs are so easy to hit. Played 9 today hit 8 GIR and two were from a fair bunker 135+. I really strung with my old irons to hit 8 GIR a round.

Have to say 10 years ago when I last looked at irons I was not a fan of Callaway irons. I thought they spun too much, went too high and didn’t go far enough. Now I am a total Callaway believer and think I could easily play these clubs for the next 10 years (hypothetically of course, I am now an internet golfer who is must oblige to check out the Rogue irons) but regardless, I love this things.

For anyone thinking about them there are some solid steals on the forum selling these irons right know.

I think one of the most underrated features about the Apex’s are playing out of fairway bunkers. These clubs are so easy to hit. Played 9 today hit 8 GIR and two were from a fair bunker 135+. I really strung with my old irons to hit 8 GIR a round.

Have to say 10 years ago when I last looked at irons I was not a fan of Callaway irons. I thought they spun too much, went too high and didn’t go far enough. Now I am a total Callaway believer and think I could easily play these clubs for the next 10 years (hypothetically of course, I am now an internet golfer who is must oblige to check out the Rogue irons) but regardless, I love this things.

For anyone thinking about them there are some solid steals on the forum selling these irons right know.

i agree with your comment about fairway bunkers. I have never had an iron that for some reason was as easy to hit and control distance out of a fairway bunker as the Apex Pros. I would guess I hit +90% of the greens from 130 yards out on my home course this year out of a bunker. What I use to fear has just become a normal shot albeit going down an extra club.

TCBs from the Grandaddy just arrived. I'll be doing some Apex Pro vs TCB comparison once I get some sim time. I will say looking down at them behind the ball, they look slim and sexy. Can't wait to get hitting in the sim!

IMG_20220118_222042.jpg

4 iron
IMG_20220118_233217.jpg

PW
IMG_20220118_233253.jpg

I will be hitting these irons again tonight. The TCB wedge was super consistent with carry and total distance.

The pros are definitely going to be a different look for me. 5 iron to 5 iron.
1B7E51CA-9AD3-4B09-A2D8-BFB38BA5EBF1.jpegF9786A60-9680-401F-8E33-D3A07FA5E5E0.jpeg

Back