First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

An excellent lived of convo on these in today’s Off Course podcast with @Canadan and @JB

Ok, so here's what is possibly a silly question: In what range would you estimate someone's HC need be to consider the Pros?

I know, I know: Get fit :) That's what I'm going to do, anyway. This question is more out of curiosity's sake.
I mean that has to do with a few things. Does your handicap come from being an absolute mystery off the tee? thinned approach wedge shots? Bad putting? All that could be true but you could be a pretty solid striker with irons and the pros could work great for you.

Not saying any of the above is you, I'm just saying there is a lot more to it than "I'm a 10 HC, I shouldn't be using these irons" While I totally understand why companies use the handicap range when recommending irons or drivers or whatever else that has a HC range attached to it, there is a lot more to the game than a HC number.

I would give you a tentative answer for your HC question if I had actually hit these. But since I just got a presentation on the irons, I don't feel it best to answer a question about things that I haven't had in my hands yet.

I mean that has to do with a few things. Does your handicap come from being ...
I would give you a tentative answer for your HC question if I had actually hit these. But since I just got a presentation on the irons, I don't feel it best to answer a question about things that I haven't had in my hands yet.
That first part is why I figured it'd probably be a stupid question. As for the 2nd part: I guess I'll just have to wait a bit--until some THP'ers get these in-hand.

I am having a hard time getting the pros out of my head.
You’re not alone. I was intent on my 2021 direction....then these happened.

Is it preorder day yet? I'm almost certain I'm going to make a costly decision with these. Question becomes what shaft for me. Playing Fuji Pro 95i right now. Need to find a decent option in that weight range.

I am having a hard time getting the pros out of my head.

you buy them and send them to me for testing. i'll let you know if you should ask for them back, or just let me keep them as a "thank you" for the awesomeness that is me.

you buy them and send them to me for testing. i'll let you know if you should ask for them back, or just let me keep them as a "thank you" for the awesomeness that is me.
This sounds like a 1+1= potato type of thing.

Bold strategy, Cotton. :ROFLMAO:

If you watch the THP SHowcase next week, you will see @Canadan reaction with the first few swings.

Ok, so here's what is possibly a silly question: In what range would you estimate someone's HC need be to consider the Pros?

I know, I know: Get fit :) That's what I'm going to do, anyway. This question is more out of curiosity's sake.

Play what works for you. Sometimes that may be something that you just really like the looks of but might not result in the absolutely best scores. If it makes you happier then play them.

The handicap ranges are just suggestions. The regular Apex says 5-15. I am generally a 2-4 and I have been playing them with great results. I was thinking about combos when I got fit and the fitter talked me out of it and I have been happy with them.

The whole line looks great. The Apex Pro's are super appealing to my eye. There may need to be a 5-7i purchase to mix in with the MB's :sneaky:

It's probably just my typical Canadian small-man syndrome living next to the USA, but I'll forever be bitter and jealous of the easy trade in opportunities you guys have, not to mention the bonuses and such.
We get absolutely hosed up here. Golftown is our only real option and their trade in "program" is basically a crime against humanity.

@Greg Kulbick are you planning on getting a set? High on my list to try

The TXG review has me pretty excited to get my hands on these irons. TAKE MY MOOOOOONEY! PLEEEEEAAASE! Looking forward to Callaway day at the showcase for sure.
Finally watched.....they seemed pretty giddy about the Pro's.

If you watch the THP SHowcase next week, you will see @Canadan reaction with the first few swings.

Will he jump out of his joggers (no belt)?

I think I want a combo set. I don't know why, but I just feel like these are going to pair like the 14s did. I played the CF16 combos and the 19 Pros, but was left wanting. If all else fails, I'll just go back to my J40s like I do everytime.

I’m totally in on the triple combo. Must go get fit for these!

It's probably just my typical Canadian small-man syndrome living next to the USA, but I'll forever be bitter and jealous of the easy trade in opportunities you guys have, not to mention the bonuses and such.
We get absolutely hosed up here. Golftown is our only real option and their trade in "program" is basically a crime against humanity.

I feel for you bro. The USA is a big country and we welcome our brothers from the North. Come on down.

I got to hit about 15 balls outside with this 8i on Trackman before being booted for a fitting. Standing at address the profile seemed a touch smaller than my ‘19s. No discernible flight, feel or distance difference for me with this very small sample. Nice club

View attachment 8988531

It is a nice Xforged CB iron. Did you also hit any Apex irons? ;)

Back