First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

Went to my local Edwin Watts to hit these today. No dice. Booooooooooooo.

Fitting room with @DNevsCG today was good and got into the combo sets.

Went to my local Edwin Watts to hit these today. No dice. Booooooooooooo.
That sucks! I know our Edwin Watts has had them since the end of last week. Hope you get to hit them soon.

Has anyone seen in person/picture or hit the ‘21 Apex Pro AW? I hit full swings with my AW and wonder if this is a win vs the JAWS MD5 50*. Anyone have any experience they can share? @OldandStiff .

Has anyone seen in person/picture or hit the ‘21 Apex Pro AW? I hit full swings with my AW and wonder if this is a win vs the JAWS MD5 50*. Anyone have any experience they can share? @OldandStiff .

I haven't seen it yet but I would expect the 21 Apex Pro AW will be more forgiving than the MD5 50*.

Okay, first off I will start by saying how shocked I am that the whole apex line was available to hit where I live. The drivers weren’t in yet but they are expecting them in the next couple of days. To say I am in love with the pros would be an understatement. As much as I loved the heads my mind was blown on a certain shaft that I would have bet money wouldn’t work for me due to weight and the fact that it wasn’t steel. First I hit them with the stock elevate 115’s and thought they were great and was thinking I would just order with the amt tour white and call it a day. Then for the hell of it I tried the mmt 90’s, mind blown! Consistent #’s over 20 or so shots with tight dispersion front to back and side to side. I was hitting these on the GC quad and the only # that may have been a bit high was the launch at around 23* with a few at 25*. Spin was consistently around 5800-6000rpm’s and carry was great for me. Am I crazy to consider ordering these with a graphite shaft? I have always played my best with shafts around 120grams. I wish I could order these with the mmt 105’s but was told the 105’s only come in x-flex from Callaway, is that correct? Now I am going to drive myself nuts deciding what to order, pretty sure I am going to go 4-pw in the pros but also considering possibly a 4 & 5 iron in the standard apex. Anyway any considering these will most likely be purchasing after demoing, I don’t see how one wouldn’t. I wonder if the drivers will have the same effect for me?

Curious how did the MMT 95’s feel from a stiffness perspective? We’re they overly stiff or what I would call a smooth stiff. I know it is a difficult question but would appreciate anyone’s experience with the 95’s... thanks.

No for me. I won't get that chance for a bit most likely, but I would be shocked if it wasn't good. The '19 Pro AW was a real winner. The soles are a little different shape on the '21s but early returns on the PW sound great, so I expect the same. And since I do a lot of full shot AW approaches too, I go with the set one whenever it's really good.

How many times have I told you we need to be neighbors and share clubs?! I don't think I knew you play +1/4"..

ha! Same here.. 1 to 2 up depending on brand.

Curious how did the MMT 95’s feel from a stiffness perspective? We’re they overly stiff or what I would call a smooth stiff. I know it is a difficult question but would appreciate anyone’s experience with the 95’s... thanks.

I was surprised how well the 95s held up, they are quite responsive. They are smooth, I wouldn't call them overly stiff, but they are plenty stiff. Kind of subjective, and reaching back a couple months in the memory banks, but I feel like they were at least as "stiff" as the Project X IO's in 6.0. And more consistent (for me).

They were surprisingly very stable and smooth, I wish the 105’s were an option but I’m pretty sure I’m ordering 4-pw in the pros 2 flat standard loft/length with the mmt 95’s. I will go hit them again in a few days to make sure I have the same reaction. I left very impressed and surprised. Not with the head as I knew just from the pics I would like them. I also tried the steelfiber fc shafts and they felt great as well but performance wasnt quite as good (launch was a couple of degrees higher) and the upcharge in Canada was pretty significant

The Pro’s are unreal. They are segment changing, every other hollow iron design before wishes they had thus profile and this sound/feel. Not to mention, they’re cannons.

This new Apex iteration totally does justice to the ones which came before. A good feel, and a lot of ease when it comes to use. Oh, and long too, quite long.

As for the DCB, there are a huge portion of golfers who if they are looking at Apex, should look this way. For me, they’re a profile like the ZX5, but they’re hotter and just super easy to hit.

The Pro’s are unreal. They are segment changing, every other hollow iron design before wishes they had thus profile and this sound/feel. Not to mention, they’re cannons.

This new Apex iteration totally does justice to the ones which came before. A good feel, and a lot of ease when it comes to use. Oh, and long too, quite long.

As for the DCB, there are a huge portion of golfers who if they are looking at Apex, should look this way. For me, they’re a profile like the ZX5, but they’re hotter and just super easy to hit.

Can’t wait to hit these. Maybe today if I forgo home remodel work and reschedule a work work meeting. Who needs lights and academics meet too much anyway. 😬

Any comments from Callaway on how much they will promote the combo and triple play sets? Or how popular they expect them to be?

@Jman i know you played the apex 19 combos and enjoyed them. If you end up going with the apex line would you consider combo’ing them again. I really wish the break was at either the 5 or 6 iron instead of the 7. I am leaning full pro’s but the idea of extra forgiveness in the 4 & 5 iron really appeal to me.

KJBKt6y.gif

Will today be the day that my local store gets these? I need to touch them...

My current 4i I haven't been able to make work for me to save my soul. My 5i works great. Based on what I'm reading here, I'm thinking it's possible the “Apex Sweet Spot” (DCB 4-5 and Apex 21 6-AW) might not end up being right for me. Perhaps we shall see.

They sounds and perform so well. Man I keep flip flopping on full Apex Pro or Combo set with apex on the top end. You and Dan are slaughtering them. :oops:

Back