First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

@McLovin and the launch characteristics between the parallel and taper tip vary in the mmt shafts. I’m with you, I like the combo option but I want the pro in the 7 iron and possibly 6

I was just watching the TXG vid on the new apex. And Ian who many consider the best and brightest.

called the pros “a less techy version of the p770”.

these pros are so packed with tech it is hard to understand why he said that...

I was just watching the TXG vid on the new apex. And Ian who many consider the best and brightest.

I only fully watched parts of that, but I think he might have been talking in terms of feel. ? I know he got similar numbers in the 4i, but talked early about them feeling very solid, which they do, and 770 don't with the floating face. Only thing I could figure out with that. :confused2:. Otherwise it's a little odd.

Pretty sure he was talking about the feel. The feel/sound at impact like a less tech filled p770. Not that the iron itself is has less tech.

Telling you guys don’t sleep on the DCB they are not big at all and very forgiving

@McLovin and the launch characteristics between the parallel and taper tip vary in the mmt shafts. I’m with you, I like the combo option but I want the pro in the 7 iron and possibly 6

You can still combo it "old fashioned" style and buy individual irons and custom bend/shaft through the set to address gapping. It's just a lot more work. 👍

Reactions: MH
I only fully watched parts of that, but I think he might have been talking in terms of feel. ? I know he got similar numbers in the 4i, but talked early about them feeling very solid, which they do, and 770 don't with the floating face. Only thing I could figure out with that. :confused2:. Otherwise it's a little odd.
I may have missed that part.. but I was like “wait, what”. I think the p770 are a good iron. The p series as a whole is. But the apex pro is packed. Haha

You can still combo it "old fashioned" style and buy individual irons and custom bend/shaft through the set to address gapping. It's just a lot more work. 👍
There are many golfsmiths who will take a taper tip head and ream it out to accept a parallel tip shaft. I'm assuming this is what the callaway guys are talking about but they also likely match up the head weight to insure it is perfect.

15 yards!? Think you found your next set.
I certainly have.. Now the question is whether I keep the modus3 105 tour stiff shaft that I know will work for me or if I do something crazy like MMT 95 stiff.

i interpreted him to be talking about sound/feel, not performance or design

I think my biggest question is how much the Apex Pros are going to spin compared to the XForged.

That much tungsten makes me think a high launch low spin type of iron. The lofts and the target market though make me think it might not be to much that way. I need to test these out soon.

Same....they bent my forged a few degrees stronger cause I was a little too spiny in fitting. The Pros hopefully get me back to the orig lofts.

Same....they bent my forged a few degrees stronger cause I was a little too spiny in fitting. The Pros hopefully get me back to the orig lofts.

I have the opposite problem. I’m worried about the new pros not spinning enough.

i interpreted him to be talking about sound/feel, not performance or design
He mis-said less CLACKY version :ROFLMAO:

There is NO hollow iron on the market that feel and sound like the Pros, I meant what I said to @Canadan on off course this week, they’re category re-defining imo

He mis-said less CLACKY version :ROFLMAO:

There is NO hollow iron on the market that feel and sound like the Pros, I meant what I said to @Canadan on off course this week, they’re category re-defining imo

i was surprised at how much i disliked the look and feel of p770 when i finally hit them. i honestly didn’t interpret much it any discernible difference from p790. but these apex pros sound like they’ve come about as close to anything as perfecting this class.

i was surprised at how much i disliked the look and feel of p770 when i finally hit them. i honestly didn’t interpret much it any discernible difference from p790. but these apex pros sound like they’ve come about as close to anything as perfecting this class.
It’s truly mind bending to me. They feel....powerful....but there’s no harsh click or upper pitch issues

I got to put like 5 swings yesterday on the pros. I was not warmed up and I would not consider any of them good swings.. but I think with the right set up. They could be good.

I got to put like 5 swings yesterday on the pros. I was not warmed up and I would not consider any of them good swings.. but I think with the right set up. They could be good.
I think you would put up some ABSURD numbers with them warmed up and dialed in.

I just swung the regular Apex and the Pro 7 iron in Golf Galaxy

The Apex to me felt fine, I'm not sure it really felt different than the Apex 19, though I had nothing to complain about with it. The Pro felt freaking absurdly good.

My hesitation with them would only be that in the 19 version, the Pros performed poorly enough (for me) on less than ideal contact that I went all Apex, and I would want to read more on how much forgiveness was being given up going from regular to pro, because while the feel was awesome, I'm not a good enough ball striker to play something penalizing on misses.

But as an 11 that is a good but not great iron player, was very impressed by 10 or so swings in the store with that Pro. The regular I wouldn't rush out about (though I'm sure it's a fine iron), the pro has me wondering whether or not I need a shootout with my new HMPs (god I'm an addict)

I just swung the regular Apex and the Pro 7 iron in Golf Galaxy

The Apex to me felt fine, I'm not sure it really felt different than the Apex 19, though I had nothing to complain about with it. The Pro felt freaking absurdly good.

My hesitation with them would only be that in the 19 version, the Pros performed poorly enough (for me) on less than ideal contact that I went all Apex, and I would want to read more on how much forgiveness was being given up going from regular to pro, because while the feel was awesome, I'm not a good enough ball striker to play something penalizing on misses.

But as an 11 that is a good but not great iron player, was very impressed by 10 or so swings in the store with that Pro. The regular I wouldn't rush out about (though I'm sure it's a fine iron), the pro has me wondering whether or not I need a shootout with my new HMPs (god I'm an addict)

In talking to a callaway rep. They are claiming the apex pro has the same forgiveness as the standard apex 19 but is a cleaner more streamlined package.. that is a really a bold claim. I can see it being true but that means this pro head will work for a pretty large segment of golfer..

I really appreciate that feedback - I guess that I don't really get why you'd ever play the standard in that case. The pro just isn't intimidating top line. I didn't pepper the face with impunity in my 10 swings to test it out, but Im interested in that concept as folks play this.

I really appreciate that feedback - I guess that I don't really get why you'd ever play the standard in that case. The pro just isn't intimidating top line. I didn't pepper the face with impunity in my 10 swings to test it out, but Im interested in that concept as folks play this.

well, that just means the standard is even more more forgiving and the DCB even more. It’s really just added forgiveness in a clean package.

Those of you ponderfying the Pros, are you toying with the utility in the 4 spot or likely to go Apex pro there too?
Ian’s comments and stats on the 4 iron are impressive.
I’ve struggled to hit my T100S 4 iron but when I had the Apex Pro 19s the 4 iron was awesome for me. Surprised me to struggle with the T100S 4.

well, that just means the standard is even more more forgiving and the DCB even more. It’s really just added forgiveness in a clean package.
The DCB is being criminally overlooked.

So easy to hit, and look good too. Not at all too big.

Back