First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

The DCB is being criminally overlooked.

So easy to hit, and look good too. Not at all too big.
I would be surprised if it is the best selling model. Pair that with some bb21 woods.. OMG!!

I would be surprised if it is the best selling model. Pair that with some bb21 woods.. OMG!!
Yup. So easy to hit, and the feel is still “Apex” worthy. Needed to and should have clubbed WAY down with them in my closest to the pin challenge with Keenan :ROFLMAO:

Yup. So easy to hit, and the feel is still “Apex” worthy. Needed to and should have clubbed WAY down with them in my closest to the pin challenge with Keenan :ROFLMAO:

well, it is hard to expect 20 yards extra carry..

Had my first look at these in person at a local shop where I compared 7 irons. Will get to hit these on Friday in a fitting bay. At first glance in hand, the Apex just sparkles. Visually it's georgous. Was a bit surprised how thick the bottom of the Apex was but it wasn't off-putting. The Apex Pris are so do so clean.

IMG_20210123_123017.jpg

No argument with any of you there. I wasn't speaking poorly of the DCB or standards. I just think the pros made me really think. Callaway certainly has something very good going with this set.

No argument with any of you there. I wasn't speaking poorly of the DCB or standards. I just think the pros made me really think. Callaway certainly has something very good going with this set.
Totally agree. I was leery when they added an iron...I totally get it now though.

The DCB is being criminally overlooked.
I was kinda sorta criminally overlooking them :) at first, thinking I might want the Apex Sweet Spot combo as opposed to all DCBs or all Standards. But, after watching the live stream, Thursday, listening to @DNevsCG's comments and watching @Canadan hit the DCB: I'm thinking that, unless something really astonishing happens with my game, I'll probably go all DCB.

The fitting will tell.

So easy to hit, and look good too. Not at all too big.
Yeah, that'll be part of the equation. I've mentioned before I took one look at the top line of the Mav Max irons at my LGS and said "No way."

I was kinda sorta criminally overlooking them :) at first, thinking I might want the Apex Sweet Spot combo as opposed to all DCBs or all Standards. But, after watching the live stream, Thursday, listening to @DNevsCG's comments and watching @Canadan hit the DCB: I'm thinking that, unless something really astonishing happens with my game, I'll probably go all DCB.

The fitting will tell.

Yeah, that'll be part of the equation. I've mentioned before I took one look at the top line of the Mav Max irons at my LGS and said "No way."
These are LIGHTYEARS different look wise than those. This time you’ll go “oh wow” ;)

The sweet spot combo set seems to solved two problems for me. I loved the 5 Mav standard 5i and often hit it off tee, but i struggled with the shorter irons and the offset/size. Not sure if it was my steep AOA or whatever it was but 8-aw was challenging for me. The combo option i can keep the extra forgiving 4/5 irons, 4i being a degree stronger than the old mav 5i, pick up a little distance there and then have the regular apex for 6-PW and hopefully have better luck with the short irons. Now my only config challenge is whether to get the set PW/A wedge or get the Pro PW for the slightest loft adjustment and then it will blend into the jaws wedges i already have. Cant wait to try them.

It’s been awhile since I’ve been to the forum and up until end of last season I haven’t been playing much either (health issues), I got the Apex’s in 2014, my first forged set, loved them...the new 21’s have me really interested, I see the DCB as the logical choice as my game has declined (I used to be pretty good lol)....really looking forward to hitting both the standard and the DCB’s

Alright so today was the day to hit the new Apex irons. I arrived 30 minutes early and had my iron swing today, felt good from wedge to 5i. Off to the Trackman.

Met my fitter and he was a very honest person. Worked with Callaway 8 years and the last 2 years in sales. We started with my CF19 7iron and I was happy with the height, divots, launch. Consistently 150-153, and this is my 160 club so yes new golf balls are better than range balls haha.

I chose not to swing the Pros because quite frankly I know they aren’t going to go as far as the Apex, for me. They look fantastic though.

He handed me the regular Apex21 in the Stiff Flex and it felt good. The numbers were literally within 1-2 yards of the CF19s, that made me feel good because with “5x more Tungsten” I was expecting a bigger gain. He then put me in a Regular flex and the club head speed went up 1-2mph, again nothing drastic or something I’d change but cool to know I’m fine with the Stiff flex.

He then clicked in the DCB and I was seeing 4-5 yards more carry than the CF19 & 21, also the highest peak height. They were nice. I think Callaway really hit a home run here in expanding the line of iron for the mid/higher handicapper to get a forged feel. Thumbs up. I think the club head itself is extremely forgiving, which is great. Nice launch by the way, nice and high.

He clicked in the Recoil Dart and it was awful for me. Irons went the shortest and I didn’t like it one bit, topping out at 145. Peace of mind knowing that I still prefer Steel shafts. Was nice to try Graphite though.

He recommended the DCB 5-AW in the Elevate R-Flex shafts at 85g.

So this is where it comes to the consumer on is this worth trading in? The numbers were better with the DCB, and it isn’t that chunky at all, but larger, as expected.

Earlier when these were released to the public more than a few people disliked “Tungsten” stamped on the Pros, for whatever reason. I love on the CF19s how it says “Forged” above Apex. And I have no issue with where it is on the 21s, but I like it better on the 19s since it’s seen.

I’m going on Year 3 with my irons so I’m very comfortable with the distances and feel of my irons, I enjoy them and I love the look. I prefer the CF19 look more than the DCB and Apex21. Now the Apex Pros are beautiful and look better than the 19s, I can’t reiterate that enough but I just don’t have the game for them.

In the end? I’m sticking with the CF19s. I know what I’m getting, I am happy with the turf interaction, feedback, look, and yes the design on the cavity is better than this years, to me.

With that said these are great irons, all 3 models, and you won’t be disappointed with whichever model you go with. Definitely get fit.

I hit the Pros today at Club Champion during an iron fitting. These are truly fun irons. If I were building a bag from scratch, these would be right there on the ponder list.

I hit the Pros today at Club Champion during an iron fitting. These are truly fun irons. If I were building a bag from scratch, these would be right there on the ponder list.
How did they compare to your MIMs?

How did they compare to your MIMs?
I did not hit the MIMs side by side with them, but I think all of the numbers would be very similar, if shafted the same. I like the looks of the Callaways better. I think that they both feel great. I would have no reason to change, hence my statement “if I were starting from scratch to build a bag.” If I were starting from scratch, honestly, it would be a coin flip.

Anyone seen the Apex Pro AW?

Alright so today was the day to hit the new Apex irons. I arrived 30 minutes early and had my iron swing today, felt good from wedge to 5i. Off to the Trackman.

Met my fitter and he was a very honest person. Worked with Callaway 8 years and the last 2 years in sales. We started with my CF19 7iron and I was happy with the height, divots, launch. Consistently 150-153, and this is my 160 club so yes new golf balls are better than range balls haha.

I chose not to swing the Pros because quite frankly I know they aren’t going to go as far as the Apex, for me. They look fantastic though.

He handed me the regular Apex21 in the Stiff Flex and it felt good. The numbers were literally within 1-2 yards of the CF19s, that made me feel good because with “5x more Tungsten” I was expecting a bigger gain. He then put me in a Regular flex and the club head speed went up 1-2mph, again nothing drastic or something I’d change but cool to know I’m fine with the Stiff flex.

He then clicked in the DCB and I was seeing 4-5 yards more carry than the CF19 & 21, also the highest peak height. They were nice. I think Callaway really hit a home run here in expanding the line of iron for the mid/higher handicapper to get a forged feel. Thumbs up. I think the club head itself is extremely forgiving, which is great. Nice launch by the way, nice and high.

He clicked in the Recoil Dart and it was awful for me. Irons went the shortest and I didn’t like it one bit, topping out at 145. Peace of mind knowing that I still prefer Steel shafts. Was nice to try Graphite though.

He recommended the DCB 5-AW in the Elevate R-Flex shafts at 85g.

So this is where it comes to the consumer on is this worth trading in? The numbers were better with the DCB, and it isn’t that chunky at all, but larger, as expected.

Earlier when these were released to the public more than a few people disliked “Tungsten” stamped on the Pros, for whatever reason. I love on the CF19s how it says “Forged” above Apex. And I have no issue with where it is on the 21s, but I like it better on the 19s since it’s seen.

I’m going on Year 3 with my irons so I’m very comfortable with the distances and feel of my irons, I enjoy them and I love the look. I prefer the CF19 look more than the DCB and Apex21. Now the Apex Pros are beautiful and look better than the 19s, I can’t reiterate that enough but I just don’t have the game for them.

In the end? I’m sticking with the CF19s. I know what I’m getting, I am happy with the turf interaction, feedback, look, and yes the design on the cavity is better than this years, to me.

With that said these are great irons, all 3 models, and you won’t be disappointed with whichever model you go with. Definitely get fit.

I am still sad you did not even try to hit the Pro at all, but you know what you like. Did you even hold one to get a feel for the top line, etc?

I was suspect of the super light graphite shafts and you confirmed what I thought. It is odd to me they are not offering anything heavier and really pushing a lot of people away that would otherwise try graphite if they offered at least 100+ gram something.

But I imagine they will have upcharge options and why not make money where you can. But that is the idea of the demo day to get you interested in buying and not offering a range of weights is just silly.

i’m still confused about the importance of the tooling. i get bounce and loft differences. but is the tooling because one shaft option only comes in parallel tip or taper tip, so you can’t use the same shaft in the apex as the pro?

Sort of.

Any shaft that comes in the pro (taper) can be used with the regular apex (parallel) but not vice versa. You can shim the taper shaft to fit the parallel hosel.

So if you get a combo set, but fit into a parallel shaft used in the regular apex (say the elevate 95 ets) you normally wouldn't be able to use that shaft in the pro end of the combo set. So they have different tooling to allow that shaft to be used.

Some shafts come in both parallel and taper, with some slight weight differences between the models.

I don't know if that answered your question like you wanted.

Sort of.

Any shaft that comes in the pro (taper) can be used with the regular apex (parallel) but not vice versa. You can shim the taper shaft to fit the parallel hosel.

So if you get a combo set, but fit into a parallel shaft used in the regular apex (say the elevate 95 ets) you normally wouldn't be able to use that shaft in the pro end of the combo set. So they have different tooling to allow that shaft to be used.

Some shafts come in both parallel and taper, with some slight weight differences between the models.

I don't know if that answered your question like you wanted.
So same as the '19s then - if it's an intended combo the pros with be bored to .370? Which is great. At least the finish looks like it will stay consistent with that this year instead of chrome vs. satin.

Last edited:
I believe I’ll need to give the new apex line a try. Haven’t hit callaway since the fusion iron.

I want to hit the pros and I want someone to tell me they’re the perfect club for me :LOL:

So any blended set is parallel?

Yeah, the Apex/Apex Pro combo has the pro's in the set bent custom to fit gapping and Callaway have used some custom tooling to fit the hosels to accept parallel shafts simialr to teh Apex. Makes selecting shafts easier as they are consistent through the set.

Back