First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

Frustrating to place an order 2/2 with delivery not expected until the end of March with specs that aren't particularly unique. I guess it's good for them, and at the end of the day golf really begins in April for many of us but bummed my March Florida golf won't be with my new sticks.

Don’t give up hope yet! Ordered an Epic Max driver for my girlfriend that had an expected delivery of 3/31, and it arrives Monday.

View attachment 8993135

@McMustHaveSweatyPalms Lol

Good looking stick though. What's the ETA on the rest?

so schweddy

honestly, dhl may have the worst f-ing shipping updates of any company. the 6i was still showing as sitting in ohio. and yet it's here in my office, which unless i made a very poor life decision is most certainly not in ohio. the pros say they're in ohio as well, but may show up tomorrow for all i know.

my office, which unless i made a very poor life decision is most certainly not in ohio.

when you have new clubs and good weather. :LOL:

🔥

And yes, DHL is about as informative as USPS in real-time. The pass off ones are always behind there.

I am plenty excited to get these irons out on the course tomorrow for the first of three rounds in three days. The weather is a bit iffy, 50-ish and rainy, but that won’t stop me.

2D8D5A11-08E7-4EA8-8CB4-6DD5CB6BD844.jpeg

I am plenty excited to get these irons out on the course tomorrow for the first of three rounds in three days. The weather is a bit iffy, 50-ish and rainy, but that won’t stop me.

View attachment 8993203
Have fun with those beauties, man. Can't wait to hear about it.

so schweddy

honestly, dhl may have the worst f-ing shipping updates of any company. the 6i was still showing as sitting in ohio. and yet it's here in my office, which unless i made a very poor life decision is most certainly not in ohio. the pros say they're in ohio as well, but may show up tomorrow for all i know.

Z-Cords ftw!

Stopped in the local Golf Galaxy today. Saw the Apex 21 irons they are beautiful. I already ordered the 7-AW standard and 5-6 DCB sight unseen based mostly from the information i got from this thread and Callaway Day during the showcase week. What caught my eye was the DCB 5 and 6. Loved the look and they just look confidence inspiring in those irons. I will be using them for sure on a couple holes where a miss with a 5 or 6 could be punishing but good strikes could be stroke savers and hopefully more pars with some birdie opportunities. And the remainder of the set looks great as well. Cant wait to be able to play.

Well, count me among the club. I'd been struggling with the set of irons I got fit for earlier this year. Contact hasn't been great, and feel like I'd kind of been all over the place with them. Saw that Callaway was doing a demo day at the shop I usually go to, so decided to give the new stuff a try.

Did a quick rundown of my game with the fitter, and he had me try the stock Apex to get a baseline. That club with the Elevate ETS is going to be great for a lot of people. Feel is absolutely great. Was a little bit inconsistent with that setup, so we tried a couple different shafts. The fitter didn't want me in the DCB because I was already hitting the Apex plenty high and he didn't think I needed the extra forgiveness. I will say, they are a nice looking iron in that profile - I have a set of T300 and those seemed like a similar profile to me. Big, but smaller than some of the more GI offerings out there. Maybe the Honma irons too - they don't scream "Game Improvement" at address.

Then, we gave the pros a shot. Didn't give up much with those in terms of ball speed, but had better consistency spin-wise swing to swing. Feel was more solid, but it wasn't as big a difference as I might have expected. Few more swings in it was pretty clear I preferred the pros. The forgiveness is surprising for the size, but the standard Apex is definitely a more forgiving club. We tried both heads, and talked a bit about combo-ing. I think had the combo split at the 7 instead of the 8 I'd have thought harder about a combo set - I preferred the 7i in the pros. And to be honest, I played some of the best golf I have with a smaller profile iron.

Spent a bunch of time dialing in shafts, and ended up in the Modus 120, stiff. Numbers were consistent, distance surprised me, and I immediately walked to the register and placed an order. These are going to be a massive hit for Callaway.

And I really have to give a shout out to the Callaway reps at the demo day. This was up there in terms of thoroughness in fittings I've had. I was really impressed.

100 percent if the split was at the 6/7 I'd have bought the combo. I'm sure I'll love the pros as a full set but if I don't it will be the longer irons

I'm not that concerned with the longer irons, but as easy to hit as the Apex were I could see enjoying them in the long irons. The shop had a set I was able to hit the 5i, albeit with a different shaft and I was happy with the results. And I really liked the 5i in the Honma 737V set I had, and there was a whole lot less tech in there than the Apex Pros. But it's one of the reasons I ended the set at 5, instead of the 4i I will often play. That was where it started getting a bit scary for me. The P770 were the same way when I gave them a shot.

The golf gods did not smile down upon me. I was totally rained out. I have two more chances to play before I return home and keeping my fingers crossed.

The golf gods did not smile down upon me. I was totally rained out. I have two more chances to play before I return home and keeping my fingers crossed.

That stinks! Hope it clears for you dude. Someone needs to be playing these things right now!

that’s too bad.

my luck turned when my wife of her own volition told me she’d be cool if i booked an early time sunday morning. yes!

but then lady luck turned her back again and decided my pros needed to be held up one more day in ohio, so i’ll probably get them on monday. too bad.

that’s too bad.

my luck turned when my wife of her own volition told me she’d be cool if i booked an early time sunday morning. yes!

but then lady luck turned her back again and decided my pros needed to be held up one more day in ohio, so i’ll probably get them on monday. too bad.
You almost pulled the small straight and then you were dealt that last card.

You almost pulled the small straight and then you were dealt that last card.

it’s not whether you win or lose, but how many bad beat stories you’re able to tell

Calmly waiting for new Apex irons...the first day.

i-nGZqVwG-L.jpg

The second day...

i-DjNpR7m-L.jpg

Calmly waiting for new Apex irons...the first day.

i-nGZqVwG-L.jpg

The second day...

i-DjNpR7m-L.jpg

Those bottles are.... 👀......

Multiplying!

I hope those clubs show up soon. That day 3 picture might be interesting.

Last edited:
Joining the crowd, coming from a set of P790s that I’ve played for the last two years, moving to a full set of Apex Pro, 4-AW. My son has been playing a set of the X Forged 21 and absolutely loves them (He is a +1 and current NH State HS individual champion, i’m just trying to keep up as a 6). Order placed tonight, we have the benefit of having a good friend who is a fitter for Callaway who is able to check inventory availability so hopefully these will be out in the next 2 to 3 weeks. really excited - had a chance to get fit on Friday and was amazed at how good the feel was, and surprised how easy the 4 and 5 iron were to hit.

I now have a full round in with the new Apex/Apex Pro mixed set. As previously posted, these have the MMT 95 stiff shafts. Standard specs for the blended set.

I have really been looking for that unicorn set of irons for three years. It seemed like if I tried to play a set that gave a lot of juice (hollow body, player distance), I struggled a bit with the 9 iron and wedges. They didn’t seem to gap in well. If I played a player cavity, I gave up some distance in the mid irons that I really need. This may finally bet the set that provides what I need at both ends.

I played today with temps in the high 40’s to a little over 50. It got really cold and windy on the back 9. The gusts must have been over 30 mph. Yet, I hit 12 GIR. I can flight these irons and hit a more boring trajectory into the wind with the pw. On one par three, hole number 5, there was a half club wind coming almost straight at us, but a little left to right. The pin was 157 yards out. This was lower elevation than what I am used to playing, so I wasn’t sure what club to pull, particularly given that this was my first round with these irons. I hit a really solid 8 iron, with a nice draw that allowed it to hold the wind and came down about 5 feet from the hole, for a birdie putt. See the photo below. This told me that there is plenty of speed in these irons if it is needed.

I honestly can’t imagine a better set of irons for my game. I am really glad that I got the mixed set.

F65081BF-273A-4819-807A-0121F36831C9.jpeg

I now have a full round in with the new Apex/Apex Pro mixed set. As previously posted, these have the MMT 95 stiff shafts. Standard specs for the blended set.

I have really been looking for that unicorn set of irons for three years. It seemed like if I tried to play a set that gave a lot of juice (hollow body, player distance), I struggled a bit with the 9 iron and wedges. They didn’t seem to gap in well. If I played a player cavity, I gave up some distance in the mid irons that I really need. This may finally bet the set that provides what I need at both ends.

I played today with temps in the high 40’s to a little over 50. It got really cold and windy on the back 9. The gusts must have been over 30 mph. Yet, I hit 12 GIR. I can flight these irons and hit a more boring trajectory into the wind with the pw. On one par three, hole number 5, there was a half club wind coming almost straight at us, but a little left to right. The pin was 157 yards out. This was lower elevation than what I am used to playing, so I wasn’t sure what club to pull, particularly given that this was my first round with these irons. I hit a really solid 8 iron, with a nice draw that allowed it to hold the wind and came down about 5 feet from the hole, for a birdie putt. See the photo below. This told me that there is plenty of speed in these irons if it is needed.

I honestly can’t imagine a better set of irons for my game. I am really glad that I got the mixed set.

View attachment 8993469
Saw the score you made. 🔥 Heck of a first round with 'em, especially considering everything. If they're the best of both worlds you've been looking for, that's seriously exciting!

Back