First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

Yeah, I’m excited to have the chance to upgrade as it’s not a yearly occurrence for me. I looked at the Apex 19 when they came out, but there was something about those that made it where I couldn’t hit them. I hit a few shots with the Apex and DCB last weekend and didn’t feel that way with the 21 versions...so off to fitting I go.

Yeah, I’m excited to have the chance to upgrade as it’s not a yearly occurrence for me. I looked at the Apex 19 when they came out, but there was something about those that made it where I couldn’t hit them. I hit a few shots with the Apex and DCB last weekend and didn’t feel that way with the 21 versions...so off to fitting I go.
Let us know how it goes.

I don’t know how to compare them to steel. They just feel more satisfying to me. The thing is that at 95 grams, they are lighter than any of those listed, but yet they really keep the spin and ball flight down. I can feel the shaft release, too. I don’t know of a 95 gram shaft that would give that kind of performance and that is why the comparison is hard. I like a steel shaft in the 105 to 115 weight class. DG 105 and Modus 105 work pretty well for me, but these work better and feel great to me.
I kinda figure how this would be answered.
I'm trying to paint the best picture in my head about the graphite in these clubs.
I'm not afraid of using graphite in irons, just never have.

I kinda figure how this would be answered.
I'm trying to paint the best picture in my head about the graphite in these clubs.
I'm not afraid of using graphite in irons, just never have.
I honestly think that most people would love a graphite shaft, as long as it fits. There likely would be exceptions with very high swing speed, gifted players, who are extremely particular with their ball flight/spin window and the feel that they are used to impacts their perception of performance. For all of us mere mortals, I just can’t imagine somebody not liking them.

I am going to give these irons a workout here on Monday through Wednesday of next week.

8351483A-C323-4841-8642-DDD902691995.jpeg

Is there a iron shaft that you think these MMT even comes close to?
So if I like PX LZ, would I have a chance to liek these?
OR Modus 120?
How about C-Tape Lite?
Are the 95 different profile than the 105 in MMT? PX LZ are a uniquely poor fit for me, and they obviously feel slightly different, but I had remarkably similar results with the 105 MMT as I did with the LZ's. The middle felt very familiar.

Anyone know if you can order the triple play combo 5-P,A instead of the standard factory 4-P,A offering ???

Anyone know if you can order the triple play combo 5-P,A instead of the standard factory 4-P,A offering ???
I think you can or you can buy the exact irons you want of each and have them bent to get the gapping correct.

Are the 95 different profile than the 105 in MMT? PX LZ are a uniquely poor fit for me, and they obviously feel slightly different, but I had remarkably similar results with the 105 MMT as I did with the LZ's. The middle felt very familiar.
I thought the 95/105 MMT were the same save the weight, but I'm not sure.
At the lofts the Apex Pro are at I need to make sure the shafts doesn't make we want to involuntarily add loft.
Such a good club head w/ bad shaft is nearly criminal.
I swing the LX 6.0 well. So if the 105 MMT are anything close to it, I'd might need to take a chance.
My 50% trade is up on Sunday :)

I guess I'll head to GG to see if I can find the 105 MMT.

I currently have 19 Apex Std with MODUS 120S. I play these just fine as long as I don't try to hit them hard.

At the lofts the Apex Pro are at I need to make sure the shafts doesn't make we want to involuntarily add loft.
I swing the LX 6.0 well. So if the 105 MMT are anything close to it, I'd might need to take a chance.

I currently have 19 Apex Std with MODUS 120S. I play these just fine as long as I don't try to hit them hard.

I was playing the CF19s with the Modus 120S previously to my last fitting. I really wanted to get into graphite to see if there was something out there that worked for me. Fitter put me into the Fuji Pros. I went with the P790s but could easily have stuck with the CF19s. After seeing the combo set I couldn't help myself and grabbed a mixed combo set with the MMT 95s. Picked blind based on what was available but expect them to play a touch stiffer than the Fujis. Will report back here if they ever come in.

I was playing the CF19s with the Modus 120S previously to my last fitting. I really wanted to get into graphite to see if there was something out there that worked for me. Fitter put me into the Fuji Pros. I went with the P790s but could easily have stuck with the CF19s. After seeing the combo set I couldn't help myself and grabbed a mixed combo set with the MMT 95s. Picked blind based on what was available but expect them to play a touch stiffer than the Fujis. Will report back here if they ever come in.
I also have a set of Fuji Pro 95 stiff and agree that the MMT 95s play a tad stiffer, but they both fit me very well.

I also have a set of Fuji Pro 95 stiff and agree that the MMT 95s play a tad stiffer, but they both fit me very well.

Yeah after reading up on them it seemed like the closest. I'm fine with having a slightly stiffer option honestly. Hoping to have the same experience!

2nd lesson and first time hitting these not in my garage.

did the combine drill on the trackman and was unbelievably impressed. I feel like I’ve lost a little distance over my Mavrik irons, but I’m also in the midst of a swing change, and it’s cold still, so we’ll see how spring hits.

but on the combine, trackman estimated I should be a 5 hdcp. That felt great. And makes me more excited to try these on the course.
Two irons stuck out, the DCB 4 iron at 180 felt automatic. This is the easiest long iron I have ever swung. It was effortless.

The 6 iron was a stunner. 160 yards, all three shots within 20 feet, and the third shot to 2 feet. The feel and ease was astounding.

2nd lesson and first time hitting these not in my garage.

did the combine drill on the trackman and was unbelievably impressed. I feel like I’ve lost a little distance over my Mavrik irons, but I’m also in the midst of a swing change, and it’s cold still, so we’ll see how spring hits.

but on the combine, trackman estimated I should be a 5 hdcp. That felt great. And makes me more excited to try these on the course.
Two irons stuck out, the DCB 4 iron at 180 felt automatic. This is the easiest long iron I have ever swung. It was effortless.

The 6 iron was a stunner. 160 yards, all three shots within 20 feet, and the third shot to 2 feet. The feel and ease was astounding.

GD Brother, I am so happy to hear that you are working your butt off! The Apex Triple Play is a fantastic set for you! It is something that I want to try too. Maybe next year with all this work, you will have the full set of Pros in the bag.

GD Brother, I am so happy to hear that you are working your butt off! The Apex Triple Play is a fantastic set for you! It is something that I want to try too. Maybe next year with all this work, you will have the full set of Pros in the bag.

a boy can dream! 😍

I was told during my distance fitting that the 95 MMT were the stiff flex.The 105 MMT were Xstiff. At least, that's what I remember being told.

I was told during my distance fitting that the 95 MMT were the stiff flex.The 105 MMT were Xstiff. At least, that's what I remember being told.

Direct from Callaway site.

B9ECB2B5-31C7-4B75-B0FA-A358FCC6DC71.jpeg

So the fitting confirmed that the needs I had in my previous fitting were still there. I ended up going with the DCBs 6I - PW, 2 deg upright, 1/2” long, with KBS Tour V Regular (100 gram) shafts.

The extra forgiveness help on the DCB ended up more important to me than the top line difference with the Apex. The really interesting thing to me is how much my swing changes to try to compensate for standard length...the fitting cart didn’t have that many longer shafts, but that little bit of length lets me stand up taller and just make better contact.

I have the same shafts in my Apex 14s from my previous fitting and the fit the profile of what this fitting was showing me to need even though they didn’t have it on the cart to try.

They are having to be ordered, so it will be a while before I get them still, but very excited for the confirmation and the new heads. Not getting rid of the Apex 14s until I prove that the DCB are as good or better, but the DCBs were good today.

I went from P790s w/ Modus 105s to the CF 19. Apex irons sound & feel better.
I like the short blade length in the 6 & 5 especially.

I hit the 21 Pros last night about 5 swings. My iron swing is a dumpster fire. I'll have to revisit irons down the line.
I thought they sounded clicky, but it was probably more of the surroundings than anything else.
Ball was a TP5 and not a crap practice ball.

Got to play a quick round miraculously. Moved up a box and played all irons to continue to test out the Players Combo. Pro long iron consistency continues to shine for me. It's drenched here and we got rained on the last couple, so a lot of plugs and generally minimal roll out. Easy to see distances and man, they don't deviate a whole lot. Threw my hands at one a bit and drifted heel side and another I got a little deep on off the tee, and the punishment is pretty minimal considering. I feel like they're going to create a lot of addicts on the feel and result. Outside of the slightly unique sound and feel I'm not coming up with much to dislike. With the familiar shaft they're pretty automatic so far.

That one I got deep on and caught higher on the face kinda felt terrible. Like worse than I thought it should have for the degree of miss, but the result was better than. That one got my attention.

Took my sweet spot combo out on their maiden voyage. Not a lot of feedback yet as i was hitting range rocks into snow facing the sun. They look amazing. The 4 DCB is going to be a weapon, but it was so blinding with the sun i maybe was able to see about 4 balls total with sunglasses on. Cant wait to get these on the grass. I switched from X100 to px 6.5 for a change and found them easier to center as well.

Back