First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

This is a big statement to make, but right now, I believe that the Apex/Apex Pro mixed set is the very best set of irons that I have ever played. The last two days, on a difficult course that I have never played before, I have hit 14 GIR and 12 GIR. I can get the power out of them that I need sometimes, but I can also hit those more delicate, in between shots.

One hole today is a perfect example. I was about 157 out, playing into at least a one club wind. This is sea level, and I am usually at elevation. I figured the hole was playing about 165 and I pulled 7 iron, which in this set is the standard Apex. I hit a nice draw that held the wind and stopped almost in its ball mark, measuring at 167 yards.

Irons have never been the stronger part of my bag, but right now, I am more confident in my iron play than any other aspect of my game.

View attachment 8996173

i need more time, but right now i’m in agreement with you. the pro 21 are sensational. i haven’t hit the standard 6 as often but when i’ve connected i’ve loved it. it’s a flatter flight for me, which is what i wanted it to be.

I am becoming blown away with how absolutely straight these are. Doing some ball testing right now and nearly every shot is in straight line. The occasional hook or slice, sure. But overall these things just want to go where I want them to.
And I have no doubt that if I want to put a little shape on them, they will be up to the challenge and deliver with forgiveness and accuracy.

i need more time, but right now i’m in agreement with you. the pro 21 are sensational. i haven’t hit the standard 6 as often but when i’ve connected i’ve loved it. it’s a flatter flight for me, which is what i wanted it to be.
Still getting similar distance to the Mav pros?

Range session #2 today.... only hit ~25 full swing shots with 9i.... just flat out love the look and feel of these irons! Plan to add about 10-15 swings each range outing and do about 2-3 per week over the next month.... this puts me exactly where I want to be by end of March and I should have a good feel for clubs and distances by then

This is a big statement to make, but right now, I believe that the Apex/Apex Pro mixed set is the very best set of irons that I have ever played. The last two days, on a difficult course that I have never played before, I have hit 14 GIR and 12 GIR. I can get the power out of them that I need sometimes, but I can also hit those more delicate, in between shots.

One hole today is a perfect example. I was about 157 out, playing into at least a one club wind. This is sea level, and I am usually at elevation. I figured the hole was playing about 165 and I pulled 7 iron, which in this set is the standard Apex. I hit a nice draw that held the wind and stopped almost in its ball mark, measuring at 167 yards.

Irons have never been the stronger part of my bag, but right now, I am more confident in my iron play than any other aspect of my game.

View attachment 8996173

Great to hear you are loving your clubs. Where does your set transition from Apex to Pro ???

Order had officially moved to "Being Packaged"!
Not sure anyone has checked their order as obsessively as me, but I may find good company from others in this thread. Can anyone share how long it took for their order to move from this status to shipment? I would hope a couple days max.
You should have them within 3 days of the "being packaged" status.

Great to hear you are loving your clubs. Where does your set transition from Apex to Pro ???
It is the standard “mixed” set, as Callawy calls it. The transition to Pro is at 8 iron.

Order had officially moved to "Being Packaged"!
Not sure anyone has checked their order as obsessively as me, but I may find good company from others in this thread. Can anyone share how long it took for their order to move from this status to shipment? I would hope a couple days max.

Same here! Hoping to see them by the weekend. Some reasonably warm weather coming up. Looking forward to some range time with these.

Still getting similar distance to the Mav pros?

yes, i'd even say a little better distance than mav pro and exponentially more consistent. i keep thinking back on my extended practice session last weekend. i lasered one flag at 134. that was a little bit in between, so i hit the longer club and took some off. shot after shot, even those that i didn't strike perfectly, were hitting the number within a small margin of error. then i lasered another target at 188. again, shot after shot were hitting that target with a very similar margin of error as the 134 shot!

Looks like I'm going to get to take the new setup (Apex Pros and EPIC Max LS driver) out Friday morning. Going to be cold, mid to low 30s so not going to make a real assessment on distances, but just looking forward to hitting these off some real turf! Hopefully my back is better. I tweaked something at the gym last night and had to leave my workout early. Doing Arnold presses and trying to squeeze out a last rep in my last set and back tensed up and now hurts big time when I move a certain way (right lat) but seem to be able to make a golf swing motion, so we will see. Doing icy hot over the next couple days and taking some Tylenol to see if that helps out.

Last edited:
Doing Arnold presses and trying to squeeze out a last rep in my last set and back tensed up and now hurts big time when I move a certain way ...
Did a similar thing, once, doing vertical presses on a machine, trying to get that One Last Rep out. Tried to "walk it off" by just moving on to the next sets. Nope. Luckily, the place I was at, at the time, had whirlpools, steam saunas, and a dry sauna. Used the whirlpool and a shower to hit the area with alternate hot/cold, then gave the upper back a rest for a few days.

Did a similar thing, once, doing vertical presses on a machine, trying to get that One Last Rep out. Tried to "walk it off" by just moving on to the next sets. Nope. Luckily, the place I was at, at the time, had whirlpools, steam saunas, and a dry sauna. Used the whirlpool and a shower to hit the area with alternate hot/cold, then gave the upper back a rest for a few days.
Yeah, I did an icy hot patch last night. Wednesdays are my day off from the gym, but I will be taking Thursday off as well and doing icy hot the next couple days to hopefully be good to go for Friday morning. Just have to stretch good. My generic orange whip trainer will be here today, so I will be using it fluently throughout the round on Friday to stay loose and hopefully be good to go. Sounds like a nice facility btw. My gym is pretty small and requires an extra payment on top of the monthly membership so I don't pay for that cost.

Le sigh. I want to go get a real fitting for these, but I don't. But I do. Hell, my birthday is coming up, I should treat myself, right?

Le sigh. I want to go get a real fitting for these, but I don't. But I do. Hell, my birthday is coming up, I should treat myself, right?
Of course you should! Totally worth it!

I think you know the answer to the question...:unsure::unsure:

Yes. Yes you should. I just scheduled a fitting for next week to compare against my Mizuno's.

I've hit these almost every night in my garage sim and have yet to have any elbow or joint pain. I really like these MMT 95 shafts and should have moved to graphite sooner
December can’t get here soon enough. Hearing this has me convinced I need them!

I am becoming blown away with how absolutely straight these are. Doing some ball testing right now and nearly every shot is in straight line. The occasional hook or slice, sure. But overall these things just want to go where I want them to.
And I have no doubt that if I want to put a little shape on them, they will be up to the challenge and deliver with forgiveness and accuracy.
Dude, once you get distances dialed in, you are going to be DANGEROUS!

I've hit these almost every night in my garage sim and have yet to have any elbow or joint pain. I really like these MMT 95 shafts and should have moved to graphite sooner

Since I moved to graphite shafts 25+ years ago my wrist and elbow have been pain free. Only my putter has a steel shaft and that will be changing in the not too distant future.

i think i mentioned in here that i had a lesson last weekend. we were going to focus on short game but wanted to do a quick full swing check in. i had been a bit over served the night before and was feeling the effects, but the swing was feeling ok. i hit less than 10 balls and my instructor was like “we’re good. let’s go work on short game.” i did feel like i was hitting it pretty well, so i asked him to send me a couple screen grabs from trackman of some decent shots. i’m a lower spin lower launch player, but we are working on improving those delivery issues. these were 8i with range balls.

44805490-4F76-422B-B176-F2BC616000A2.png

14C69CB5-05D8-4B22-B7DF-99DC3A542977.png

i had him hit my irons as well. they aren’t to his specs but he was still smashing them and was raving about how good they looked and felt. i think he may be buying soon!

December can’t get here soon enough. Hearing this has me convinced I need them!
These irons are incredible. Truth be told, I am hitting the Pros better than the standard in the set. It could be because the standards are 6 and 7, but the Pros are just money.

i think i mentioned in here that i had a lesson last weekend. we were going to focus on short game but wanted to do a quick full swing check in. i had been a bit over served the night before and was feeling the effects, but the swing was feeling ok. i hit less than 10 balls and my instructor was like “we’re good. let’s go work on short game.” i did feel like i was hitting it pretty well, so i asked him to send me a couple screen grabs from trackman of some decent shots. i’m a lower spin lower launch player, but we are working on improving those delivery issues. these were 8i with range balls.

View attachment 8996256

View attachment 8996257

i had him hit my irons as well. they aren’t to his specs but he was still smashing them and was raving about how good they looked and felt. i think he may be buying soon!
7 iron?

View attachment 8996256

View attachment 8996257

I don't buy it. I read on this very forum even pros don't carry their 8 iron 160 yards. Nice try, Chris.

Back