First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

Spent another hour at the range and these are great for their category. Hit the 921 forged for comparison and that made me love the Apex 21 even more. I was able to feel when I missed more and flushed shots were similar feeling with the Mizuno being slightly more muted and dull all across the face and the Apex feeling more solid when flushed with a more active face.

Had a very good range session before my round yesterday.
20210306_130215.jpg

And then this.:banghead:

Screenshot_20210308-072505_Instagram.jpg

Soooo, the place I ordered my clubs from called this morning to let me know they got the order placed and they should ship in 3-5 days. That seems a bit quick given everything I've seen here from people having orders pushed back weeks, if not months. Are they blowing smoke?

Had a very good range session before my round yesterday.
View attachment 8996984

And then this.:banghead:

View attachment 8996986

oh, you too??? haha

as much fun as these irons have been, i have two rounds in the books where i didn’t really hit that many greens. compared to the set i had before, it’s quite a bit of disparity. i think i might be trying to swing too hard. gonna give the apex another shot this weekend, club up and swing smooth. if it’s still a problem, i’ll put the old irons back in and see if anything improves.

oh, you too??? haha

as much fun as these irons have been, i have two rounds in the books where i didn’t really hit that many greens. compared to the set i had before, it’s quite a bit of disparity. i think i might be trying to swing too hard. gonna give the apex another shot this weekend, club up and swing smooth. if it’s still a problem, i’ll put the old irons back in and see if anything improves.

Your older set was about the same size as the current Apex or DCB right? Do you think the forgiveness or sole size is causing some issues?

Your older set was about the same size as the current Apex or DCB right? Do you think the forgiveness or sole size is causing some issues?

referring to a set in between my older set and this one. i have you might call a "problem" when it comes to buying golf clubs. the set i'm comparing to right now (actually about the same number of rounds with both) is smaller than apex by a fair bit to my eye, but slightly longer heel to toe than pro 21. i'll give the pro 21 another round this weekend and see what happens.

Net -2 with the player's combo today. Had a bunch with helping/hurting breezes so my distances were a tad off, and I had one of the dreaded launchtastic 7 irons that just rode the wind like crazy and put me in a bad spot. Had one MB AW do the same to a lesser degree, so not a bid deal, but I might play my intended combo with the MB 7i a couple times to see how I like that. The MB's were money all day. Love being able to knock them down and work them into pins. Actually had a couple shots with non-muck lies and the Pros felt pretty good in the turf.

I played another one of my favorite sets over the weekend, but these are to go-to now. No ifs ands or buts about it.

I was actually about to put in an order for the 770s tomorrow but went and hit them against the new Apex Pro 21 and Mizuno 921. The 770s felt a bit harsh compared to both of those. I really wanted to like them better. Now I am at a loss and to which to choose. Leaning towards the Apex now.

I was actually about to put in an order for the 770s tomorrow but went and hit them against the new Apex Pro 21 and Mizuno 921. The 770s felt a bit harsh compared to both of those. I really wanted to like them better. Now I am at a loss and to which to choose. Leaning towards the Apex now.

which mizuno? 921f or 921t?

which mizuno? 921f or 921t?
I hit both. LOVED the tour, but just think the Apex Pros were more forgiving. Forged felt good, but preferred the Apex Pros over those

I hit both. LOVED the tour, but just think the Apex Pros were more forgiving. Forged felt good, but preferred the Apex Pros over those
I think the Apex Pros win all of the subjective battles, so something else really needs to outperform them to get a serious look IMO.

20210309_110929.jpg

Well the wedge shafts are wrong, but this is what I initially envisioned for my set, and it looks how I wanted. Not opposed to playing the 7i Pro like I have been, but going to play a few without to see.

View attachment 8997160

Well the wedge shafts are wrong, but this is what I initially envisioned for my set, and it looks how I wanted. Not opposed to playing the 7i Pro like I have been, but going to play a few without to see.
Seeing this bag just makes me that much more angry at myself for not being good at this game. My gosh that is a great looking setup.

Seeing this bag just makes me that much more angry at myself for not being good at this game. My gosh that is a great looking setup.
I think a bag with any of the Apex is a pretty great looking setup. (y)

Oh, actually, I forgot to put the standard 3i in there. wtf was I thining?!

View attachment 8997160

Damn they look good !!! (y)

haha my reaction was similar. i wish i didn't suck so i could game gorgeous clubs like that lol

They all blend so well together, nice bag!!

So second round with the Pros today and I’m absolutely in love! I was striping these things today. Even got a 7 iron from 165 to spin back 5’. I specifically like the longer irons in these. Hit some solid 4-irons and 5-irons today as fwy woods were not cooperating. I will say I did hit a few thin shots today and these things let you know it! Absolutely love these and starting to get comfortable with them and distances figured out. It was pretty windy, but hitting the links again Friday.

If my x-forged cb’s don’t deliver what I am looking for the apex 21’s will be added this summer.

So I pulled the trigger on a set of Apex Pro 21s! 6-AW.
Man it was hard choosing between it and the Mizuno 921 Forged. In the end, i just like the looks of the Callaway better. Feel was pretty much the same for me.
Now the hard part... waiting for the order!

Man it was hard choosing between it and the Mizuno 921 Forged. In the end, i just like the looks of the Callaway better. Feel was pretty much the same for me.

great choice! looking forward to your feedback once you have them in hand.

Awesome! You won't be disappointed! Got 2 rounds under the belt with these and I'm falling more and more in love with them!

Mine moved from backordered to shipped. I’m hoping this weekend to start testing.

I’m still considering the 4 iron though I am waiting to make that decision until after getting some time in.

I play the 19 Pros now. These just feel better and look so much better. It was hard choosing between these and the JPX 921 forged though. In the end, I have played Callaway irons for quite some time and am very comfortable with them.

Back