First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

The best ball striking day. 6/9 GIR and on the 9th hole I had the perfect club, perfect distance, and hit it great, it just trickled into the bunker which was a bummer.

2 GIR from off the fairway was also a nice bonus! So what I do on the range is put impact tape on my irons that I usually warm up with (P-8-5). So far so great.

Alright, after somewhat light early-mid season I have been able to play more regularly as of late. After some convincing from @radiman I stuck with the decision to move over to PX 6.5 when I purchased the Apex 21' Sweet spot combo 4-AW this year. This was definitely the right move.

I always fight a slice/leaky fade, and too much spin and moon balls. My Mavrik set from the grandaddy helped me with that quite a bit, I loved the 4-6 irons, but I always just felt I was coming in a little too hot to greens in the mid irons with the flatter ball flight, and I struggled a lot with contact in the 9-AW spots, which I think in some part was due to the offset, and my swing, because once I got to the Jaws wedges I hit them great. They served me well, but I knew once the combo sets for Apex 21 it was going to something I wanted to move towards, as it would address multiple issues I had, plus......new/shiny.

I went back and forth over shafts for a while and wanted something a little lighter than X100, and with some long winter research and lots of peer pressure, pulled the trigger sight unseen and went for the combo set.

My results this season have been great, and I have been extremely happy with them, and the PX 6.5 shafts.
4-5 Iron - Apex 21 DCB have been phenomenal, hit them off the tee, off the deck and into greens. No issues at all with holding greens with them either, I have had several sniffs at eagles, thanks to the 4 iron. They are very forgiving when they need to be (which is often) but unlike the Mavs, I can feel the toe side miss, but they perform just as well. For me that is important, and I get the mishit feel, but the minimal affect to distance.

6-9 Iron - Apex 21 - Again much better performance, I lost a bit of distance over the Mavs which is expected given the lofts, but the ball flight is much better for what I want. I have by far hit the most GIR this season than in past, due to reducing how much I leak to the right, part of it I think is the shaft change, also more practice. But more GIR is what I was after and haven't had as many issues, blowing it off the back of the greens.

PW-AW - Apex 21.....I was almost talked into the 3 way combo set and put in the Apex pros for these, but I think I made the right choice to stick with the Apex 21 standard. We are back. No issue with these and I am able to cleanly strike them again. I have confidence in the AW again, which was a club I had to put on the bench in the last set. An extra Jaws wedge solved that problem, but its nice to have the set AW again, as it's mainly a full swing club.

Overall very happy with these and they have earned their way into next season easily.

My buddy I have played with this year finally got new clubs after 23 years as well. After seeing mine, but not trying (a lefty) he did a 2 hour fitting and ended up with Apex 21 full set. He just got his Thursday, took them out the wrapper, and won his work tournament the next day, needless to say he is also happy with the performance.

Alright, after somewhat light early-mid season I have been able to play more regularly as of late. After some convincing from @radiman I stuck with the decision to move over to PX 6.5 when I purchased the Apex 21' Sweet spot combo 4-AW this year. This was definitely the right move.

I always fight a slice/leaky fade, and too much spin and moon balls. My Mavrik set from the grandaddy helped me with that quite a bit, I loved the 4-6 irons, but I always just felt I was coming in a little too hot to greens in the mid irons with the flatter ball flight, and I struggled a lot with contact in the 9-AW spots, which I think in some part was due to the offset, and my swing, because once I got to the Jaws wedges I hit them great. They served me well, but I knew once the combo sets for Apex 21 it was going to something I wanted to move towards, as it would address multiple issues I had, plus......new/shiny.

I went back and forth over shafts for a while and wanted something a little lighter than X100, and with some long winter research and lots of peer pressure, pulled the trigger sight unseen and went for the combo set.

My results this season have been great, and I have been extremely happy with them, and the PX 6.5 shafts.
4-5 Iron - Apex 21 DCB have been phenomenal, hit them off the tee, off the deck and into greens. No issues at all with holding greens with them either, I have had several sniffs at eagles, thanks to the 4 iron. They are very forgiving when they need to be (which is often) but unlike the Mavs, I can feel the toe side miss, but they perform just as well. For me that is important, and I get the mishit feel, but the minimal affect to distance.

6-9 Iron - Apex 21 - Again much better performance, I lost a bit of distance over the Mavs which is expected given the lofts, but the ball flight is much better for what I want. I have by far hit the most GIR this season than in past, due to reducing how much I leak to the right, part of it I think is the shaft change, also more practice. But more GIR is what I was after and haven't had as many issues, blowing it off the back of the greens.

PW-AW - Apex 21.....I was almost talked into the 3 way combo set and put in the Apex pros for these, but I think I made the right choice to stick with the Apex 21 standard. We are back. No issue with these and I am able to cleanly strike them again. I have confidence in the AW again, which was a club I had to put on the bench in the last set. An extra Jaws wedge solved that problem, but its nice to have the set AW again, as it's mainly a full swing club.

Overall very happy with these and they have earned their way into next season easily.

My buddy I have played with this year finally got new clubs after 23 years as well. After seeing mine, but not trying (a lefty) he did a 2 hour fitting and ended up with Apex 21 full set. He just got his Thursday, took them out the wrapper, and won his work tournament the next day, needless to say he is also happy with the performance.

Nice feedback!

I’m torn between the sweet spot combo and straight up Apex 21s. I haven’t had a 4 iron in the bag for over 5 years though. If going straight up Apex, I’d probably start at 5 iron. Then, the triple play also is whispering in my ear too, lol. But, I just missed a hole in one today with my Apex 19 PW, so not like I need the pros…

Nice feedback!

I’m torn between the sweet spot combo and straight up Apex 21s. I haven’t had a 4 iron in the bag for over 5 years though. If going straight up Apex, I’d probably start at 5 iron. Then, the triple play also is whispering in my ear too, lol. But, I just missed a hole in one today with my Apex 19 PW, so not like I need the pros…
It probably doesn’t matter either way, i think i could have gone either way even DCB up to 6 or no DCB at all. The differences between standard and dcb are not as pronounced so if your only getting 5 iron and up could probably just stick with the Apex. I use 4 iron for all sorts of shot types so its nice having it.

Got my confidence back today with the 9i. Hit some fantastic shots with it. While the distance was down, that was the wet and cold morning because everything was down. These are some fantastic clubs and when I'm confident with them, I really feel like I can't miss

These irons are so much fun. I’ve said it several times but the long irons in particular are just crazy good.

Well I broke down and ordered my next year Irons. Went with the TCB. I have been playing Apex pro 19 double dot "High grove" on and off this year and love them, but I need new stuff for next year. So I went with it's older brother the TCB.. 6-8 weeks of waiting till they show up. So likely first round will be next season.

Well I broke down and ordered my next year Irons. Went with the TCB. I have been playing Apex pro 19 double dot "High grove" on and off this year and love them, but I need new stuff for next year. So I went with it's older brother the TCB.. 6-8 weeks of waiting till they show up. So likely first round will be next season.
Love this🔥🔥 (though obviously not the long lead time lol)

Is this the most underrated Apex line of irons since their rebirth?

I would say yes. Mainly because they have broken the Apex line up so much that it got watered down. Marketing department did a bad job with the run away segments and giving too many options. Plus they have not pumped up the forging process and feel marketing of why someone should pay 40% more for a big clunky forged club compared to a sim 2 or ping. Still stuck in the rodney dangerfield level of Tech and gizmoes.

I'm not sure how they can be underrated. There was huge anticipation and initial reception, and they've lived up to the hype. I don't know the sales numbers, but they're definitely the most common 'this year' line I see out there, and the stores here are still moving them like crazy.

I would say yes. Mainly because they have broken the Apex line up so much that it got watered down. Marketing department did a bad job with the run away segments and giving too many options. Plus they have not pumped up the forging process and feel marketing of why someone should pay 40% more for a big clunky forged club compared to a sim 2 or ping. Still stuck in the rodney dangerfield level of Tech and gizmoes.
do you think most golfers buy on feel? Asking genuinely because the top sellers in golf would not exactly be what would be considered “feel irons”

What constitutes them being underrated, overall?

The sheer depth of iron quality out there not pumping these immediately to the top of every discussion like the OG?

What constitutes them being underrated, overall?

The sheer depth of iron quality out there not pumping these immediately to the top of every discussion like the OG?
Perhaps. Maybe the search and post numbers comes to mind, although I know on places like THP many times that’s the newest. A number of Grandaddy guys moving off nearly immediately. Just a general sense was my thought?

We see them a ton here at our club.

Perhaps. Maybe the search and post numbers comes to mind, although I know on places like THP many times that’s the newest. A number of Grandaddy guys moving off nearly immediately. Just a general sense was my thought?

I know they have been quite popular at my course, but mostly the Apex specifically.

The only reason they’re not in my bag right now is because I couldn’t wait three months to get them when I ordered them back in February. But I’m still pondering them I will probably pull the trigger on a used set or a black Friday deal. I would be surprised if a lot of the Granddaddy guys don’t get fit it into these, there’s just so many options. I say that without knowing what else might be out there that we don’t know about, of course.

do you think most golfers buy on feel? Asking genuinely because the top sellers in golf would not exactly be what would be considered “feel irons”
I would say that the people that would be shopping the apex line it would influence their choice. Mizuno sells tons of clubs based on "feel" marketing alone. Plus the Apex line seems like it has taken over almost their whole line. Lost are the days of having the new Apex line that is special and ties back to the Hogan days. Now it is more Ho Hum than ever because there is so many different models all carrying the Apex name and some letters. The work Apex no longer carries the same shock and awe factor. Apex name has become a " Me too" club, like the Harley street glide. "Oh what club you have there?".. "oh the Apex (insert letters here)" " Me too" but one is a TCB and one is a DCB not even close to the same club in size or shape. It has been watered down to the point people only care about the two or three letters after the word Apex.

I would say that the people that would be shopping the apex line it would influence their choice. Mizuno sells tons of clubs based on "feel" marketing alone.
interesting. I’m not sure I agree, but I get it.

At least here on THP it feels like there is a good amount of discussion. I’m a little surprised some of them haven’t worked out for others because of my own experience and how much I have enjoyed them. Then again I didn’t get along with the CF16 and those were well loved.

Out in the wild though I haven’t seen a single other set of ‘21 Apex in any variety. I’ve had a couple people ask about mine but that is it. I do see a lot of P790.

FWIW. When i got the Mavrik irons during the GD i didn't see any on my course until almost i ran into two guys both playing them, 1 Std, 1 max. This year i have seen several sets of Apex 21 and my buddy just got them too. I just think the last 2 years its been reallt hard to gauge anyway, from all brands. You have people buying stuff Feb of this year that either barely got them or still waiting, or ultimately cancelled. Those are prepaid and padded into the sales figures and touting of how much each company sold. Whats actually in the wild might be another story.

I have a buddy who is getting Apex Pros this offseason because of all the talk we've had on the course about them. He's also seen my iron game become more consistent because of these.

Saying that though, I personally haven't seen any other Apex irons except mine at my course. I don't go scoping bags often but when I have, I haven't seen many. Drivers on the other hand, at least one out of three bags has some sort of Callaway big stick from the Mavrik line forward.

At least here on THP it feels like there is a good amount of discussion. I’m a little surprised some of them haven’t worked out for others because of my own experience and how much I have enjoyed them. Then again I didn’t get along with the CF16 and those were well loved.

Out in the wild though I haven’t seen a single other set of ‘21 Apex in any variety. I’ve had a couple people ask about mine but that is it. I do see a lot of P790.

I think there's just more clubs available in the space traditionally served by the Apex line. Could also be that the average golfer playing the 19s is still happy enough with them not to upgrade. I see plenty of Callaway clubs in people's bags, but I've only seen one set of 2021 Apex that I can remember. Should be said that I don't play too much golf with people outside my standard group often, other than league. What I do see a bunch of is P790s, Mizunos and Titleist irons. Few Srixons and Cobra iron sets here and there, but fewer/farther between.

Really got the A Wedge going. Very happy with all the Apex 21's but I think I have the a wedge really figured out and have total confidence with it. Very happy with the Apex 21's. As far as what I see at my club I don't think any one company dominates . Titleist, Taylormade and Mizuno seem to be common along with some Ping, Cobra and for the first time ever seeing some PXG irons and drivers. There are just so many options out there. Im a longtime Callaway player and they never disappoint. I can see how people to some extent stick with the same company.

I would have to see the sales numbers to know but this seems like the most complete Apex lineup to date. They nailed it on looks, feel, and performance.

Count me in! Just bought Callaway Apex 21 MBs 4-P! Project X LZ 6.5 125g blackout shafts.

This is my first time buying clubs without ever having hit them. The deal was too good to pass up.

Back