First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

I think I may have a bit of an Apex addiction…

75D415AA-D3B9-43E5-8685-32DEFEB41771.jpeg

I am currently comparing:

Apex Pro/MB Combo (5-6 Pro, 7-PW MB with PX 6.5) - gamers for the last 3 months and have been enjoying them immensely

Apex DCB (5-AW with Dart Recoils) - missile launchers but still on the fence as I can’t tighten the dispersion when increasing the distance.

Latest additions:
Apex Pro/TCB Combo (4 Pro, 5-PW TCB with Modus 120 X) - have been itching to try the TCBs, all thanks to @OldandStiff ! Arrived today, so looking forward to comparing them this weekend. Modus 120 is my second fav shaft behind the PXs

It’s a sickness!

View attachment 9032532

Apex Pro/MB Combo (5-6 Pro, 7-PW MB with PX 6.5) - gamers for the last 3 months and have been enjoying them immensely

Apex DCB (5-AW with Dart Recoils) - missile launchers but still on the fence as I can’t tighten the dispersion when increasing the distance.

Latest additions:
Apex Pro/TCB Combo (4 Pro, 5-PW TCB with Modus 120 X) - have been itching to try the TCBs, all thanks to @OldandStiff ! Arrived today, so looking forward to comparing them this weekend. Modus 120 is my second fav shaft behind the PXs

It’s a sickness!
Which is your favorite set?

Which is your favorite set?

Have not hit the TCBs yet, so will need to report back in those.

DCBs are point and shoot off the face; heel or toe strikes just travel. The lofts and the cup face (plus light graphite shafts) make these some of the longest and most forgiving iron heads I have ever played. However, I think they would be better for me personally in a different shaft. I’ve never played graphite and I wanted to try the Darts, but my dispersion sucks. Might be a weight thing, as I am used to 120-125g poles, or maybe I am just being overly sensitive and not giving myself enough time to adjust.

The Pros are a good middle ground and they combo nicely with the MBs in the short irons. I have really enjoyed playing this set and wouldn’t have looked elsewhere if it wasn’t for a) being tempted by all the TCB love on this thread and b) really wanting to try a Pro 4 iron. The chance arose for me to acquire a set in my specs that gave me option to try both. FTW!

DCBs are point and shoot off the face; heel or toe strikes just travel. The lofts and the cup face (plus light graphite shafts) make these some of the longest and most forgiving iron heads I have ever played. However, I think they would be better for me personally in a different shaft. I’ve never played graphite and I wanted to try the Darts, but my dispersion sucks. Might be a weight thing, as I am used to 120-125g poles, or maybe I am just being overly sensitive and not giving myself enough time to adjust.

The Pros are a good middle ground and they combo nicely with the MBs in the short irons. I have really enjoyed playing this set and wouldn’t have looked elsewhere if it wasn’t for a) being tempted by all the TCB love on this thread and b) really wanting to try a Pro 4 iron. The chance arose for me to acquire a set in my specs that gave me option to try both. FTW!
That's great feedback.. i cannot wait to hear how the TCBs perform for you! Have you thought about trying one of the heavier Mitsubishi MMT graphite shafts in the DCBs to see if that works better?

View attachment 9032532

Latest additions:

It’s a sickness!

Have you thought about trying one of the heavier Mitsubishi MMT graphite shafts in the DCBs to see if that works better?

I was thinking about heading in that direction before the TCBs became available. Now I am torn because if they end up being great I’d need to keep three sets on rotation! Plus, so many combo opportunities: DCB/TCB, DCB/Pro/MB, etc.

I was thinking about heading in that direction before the TCBs became available. Now I am torn because if they end up being great I’d need to keep three sets on rotation! Plus, so many combo opportunities: DCB/TCB, DCB/Pro/MB, etc.
The combo options are endless. Makes it so much fun!

These Apex Pros are so perfect it's unreal! Paired with these MMT shafts and I am in love!

It blows my freaking mind just how good the TCB are. For me at least. Just unbelievable. I don't think I'll ever truly love the sound and feel as much as some blades and a couple other CBs, but they do everything. Handle little misses well, shaped easily, do well in varied turf, and ... I have had some absolutely INSANE rounds with them. In-SANE. Every time I play something else for a few days and then go back, I'm blown away all over again by just how good they really are. There's one thing coming I know I'll like, but I expect these to hang around in my bag longer than anyone would EVER have bet they would.

It blows my freaking mind just how good the TCB are. For me at least. Just unbelievable. I don't think I'll ever truly love the sound and feel as much as some blades and a couple other CBs, but they do everything. Handle little misses well, shaped easily, do well in varied turf, and ... I have had some absolutely INSANE rounds with them. In-SANE. Every time I play something else for a few days and then go back, I'm blown away all over again by just how good they really are. There's one thing coming I know I'll like, but I expect these to hang around in my bag longer than anyone would EVER have bet they would.
Any hints as to what that may be ??? :unsure: :censored: ;)

I'd guess the new Mizuno, he owns everything else already. 😁

Is this the most underrated Apex line of irons since their rebirth?
I think these are great irons, but I believe the cost factor chases a lot of golfers away,,,

I need to club up and hit more 3/4 swings with these. They feel amazing and I'm much more consistent with my strike doing this..

I hit that 3/4 shot this morning with my DCBs 5 times. Went 5 for 5 with hitting the green from 130 in, and all were stress free pars (greens just aerated, so no real birdie opers).

Got fitted for the Apex today. Hit the standard, DCB and pros. Swing speed, ball speed, smash, launch was all better with DCB. Ordered 4-GW. +1”, 2* up. DriTac 2.0 mid.

Mid January delivery. Looking forward to next season.

Oh, since this thread is revived, I'll give a shout to the plethora of great Apex options.

20211021_222703.jpg

Played this bag today to the tune of 9 birdies and an eagle, and there is just nothing in life like hitting this 6i

20211021_222901.jpg

To 1 foot for an eagle.

Screenshot_20211021-115056_TheGrint.jpg20211021_114933.jpg

The Apex irons have made my 2021 pretty darn successful. I am appreciative.

Last edited:
9 birdies and an eagle? Eff me running I can't even comprehend that level of golf.

It's a shorter course for me (6500 or so) so that helps. I've always scored well there, and I go there to test wedges and work on controlled approaches and aggressive lines off the tee.

I added the shot to the post above. Just really tried to shape it in because the edge is always mush, so you have to land on the green and that was a tough pin. Those Apex blades are so good. You can move them around like a dream.

My swing has been off lately yet the Apex 21 irons have saved my butt over and over the last few rounds. On a par 3 over water I caught a ball so far out towards the toe that it was on the shiny part past the grooves yet I still cleared the water and was on the edge of the green

In a 4 club challenge today, I had an Apex 6 iron and 9 iron.
It was really nice to work those 2 irons today in different types of shots. They did everything I needed when I asked for it. A little bit extra from the 9 iron, knocking down a 6.
These are still my favorite irons of all time. Really looking forward to what can beat them out!

Pros were on FIRE tonight. 5/5 GIRs when I had a Pro in hand. Clubs are continuing to feel butter soft even in these colder temps.

These are still my favorite irons of all time. Really looking forward to what can beat them out!
December is going to be FUN

Likely the shafts are too light. I had the same issue with the Darts, especially the shorter clubs. Lost the feel of e here th head was. If they made the Darts a constant weight I could get used to them. They were smoooth.

Played the last couple of rounds with the standard Apex/MMT combo and finally found another gear with these distance wise. I know it's swing related, but it's been nice to hitting some of the longer distances I was seeing 1.5-2 years ago. At some point here I'm gonna have to make a call on whether or not these have a chance at the bag for next year. I love the mixed combo but it was nice to have some help with the shorter irons in my second round after a bit of a late night the evening before.

Back