First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Callaway legitimately revolutionized irons when they first introduced the APEX lineup way back in 2014, the blending of forgiveness and all-out performance had never been done like that before. Not only that, but with each subsequent release the accolades have grown as has the amount of tech the company continues to pour into them.

What that has led to is an incredible amount of anticipation each time we edge closer to the unveil of the next iteration. Well, the Callaway Apex 21 lineup is coming, and it’s bringing a new friend with it. 

Apex-21-Irons-1-1024x479.jpg

The New Apex Family

Callaway has taken full advantage of the two-year lifecycle of the Apex lineup to not just bring forth two irons...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow!! Great work @Jman! These look stunning. Bonus is coming in here in a month or 2. There might be a triple play in my future. These really do look amazing. Can't wait to start seeing some feedback. Also I know you will do a spectacular job reviewing these, but I will miss my THP'er Granddaddy reviews.

Nice article. I hope they didn’t ruin the Pro (personal opinion I don’t like hollow irons) but they all look nice and I’m sure they will do the job.

Putting A.I. In a Apex was the next anticipated moved. They appear to have done their home work and are using generous amounts of tungsten with each offering. The pictures look a lot better than what’s been floating around (shocker) and will please a lot of hard core Apex loyalists. Brining in the DCB makes a lot of sense to grab some more players who might otherwise overlook the Apex.

I don’t think you need “tungsten” on the pro, but that’s a minor gripe. Hopefully they’ve nailed the feel because for me personally I’ve never gotten along with a hollow body iron from a feel/sound perspective.

Great read. Didn’t see the “Triple Play” coming! Have hit the regular and pro. Coming from the Apex19. Either going all Pro or combo. Jury still out. That Dart shaft is a good one. Feel of the pros is good. Not quite XFCB but darn close.

Awesome review James and photos, top of the class. Talk about tech....whew! I was expecting Cup face but noooooo.....let’s throw in AI and blow everyone’s minds! Variable tungsten weight in the individual irons to optimize performance, MOI, etc speaks that Callaway emptied the tech garage into the lineup.

The Pro’s with MMT shafts are definitely on my shopping list and having played the ‘19 Apex Pros the past year and loved their performance, the ‘21 version sounds like they are packed with a significant upgrade. ‘21 is going to be expensive 😜.

Last edited:
James this was incredible. Some great information.

I love the looks of these, and this triple play very much intrigues me.

Drool!! Nice write up as usual.

Great write up @Jman ! The A.I. tech in the forged irons seems like a great partnership. The looks of all 3 sets is good, but the Pro really looks great! Cant wait to hear how these compare to and improve upon the Apex 19.

Oh, and sign me up for the "Apex Sweet Spot" combo please!! Love the naming conventions for the combos, brings some fun to these blended sets.

Is the part in blue a misprint or are they putting two 9irons in a combo set?

1610453734065.png

Putting A.I. In a Apex was the next anticipated moved. They appear to have done their home work and are using generous amounts of tungsten with each offering. The pictures look a lot better than what’s been floating around (shocker) and will please a lot of hard core Apex loyalists. Brining in the DCB makes a lot of sense to grab some more players who might otherwise overlook the Apex.

Some in hands of the Pros.

The Apex Pro might be the best looking Callaway iron I’ve ever seen.

Some in hands of the Pros.

They nailed the looks department for sure. I personally would like to not have "tungsten" on it, but I am sure that is a minority opinion.

For those looking at sole differences, here ya go.

825EBBBC-D0FC-415D-BA52-9AB4CB0BDDA8.jpeg

Apex player combo you say.... yaaassss...

Could we see some address photos of those pros!!! Could we also get a side by side with the 19 Apex Pros for giggles? Thank you!!!!!

Gaming the ‘19 Apex Pros and have absolutely love them. Callaway is never one to sit in their hands...I for one love the progressive design and thought process put into this iteration of the pro.

Looking forward to getting them in hand and hitting them.

Those are sweet! Excited to see and hear more!

Oh wow those look amazing. And the multiple combo set options are awesome.

Wow, those Apex Pros look sweet!

So so so much has gone into these irons. The story behind them is absolutely fascinating and I know there are 4 of us that have been waiting to talk about these.

Although the Grandmama didn't happen this year, @Muchmore18 , @xThor , @93civiccpe , and I were honored to get a guided tour of this Apex release by the folks who drove the development of them.

Each of us came away in amazement on what went into these and we I'll put our thoughts up. They really are something special. More from me on this to come...

I didn't see it in the write up and looking around I see there is a Tour Cavity Back (TCB) offering, any information on this one @JB

1610455906008.png

Those certainly look and sound like they'd be an awesome iron to play. If I was in the market for new irons this would be off my radar unless they were miles better than anything else I hit. Even then it'd be tough to swallow that price point for someone like me.

Back