First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

Reading back through my notes I've thing I circled is that they showed us that the sweet spot on apex is much larger than the 19 version and that the speed across the entire face is 3 mph faster than the 19 apex with the same lofts. These also have 4 times the Tungsten than the 19 model.

My notes for the pros show that they kept highlighting the "massive" tungsten energy core (up to 90gr). Versus the 19 apex pros these are 4 yards longer across the face and launch 1.5 degrees higher.

Considering. I’ll blame the virus if I end up doing but we’ll see. Also coming off X forged plus will probably have to get the Recoils installed separately, might just make more sense. Like others, if the 50% trade bonus comes into play I probably won’t think twice.

If these make it my way it will almost certainly be a buy and try. If they do the trade in bonus it'll be the end of my resistance. Lol

My notes for the pros show that they kept highlighting the "massive" tungsten energy core (up to 90gr). Versus the 19 apex pros these are 4 yards longer across the face and launch 1.5 degrees higher.

Well then... Thanks for making my decision to buy something out of my ability range just a little easier!

Hey @JB I’d love to see a comparison of the pros next to the XForged if you can make that happen. In particular blade length.

I have high straight DCBombs dancing in my head. A 4-6 DCB with Apex 7-AW would be a nice combo to try out.

Handicapwise, I'm in about the same boat as you. I'm a senior golfer with a better than average striking ability, but the slow swing speed kills my distance.

I am debating whether it should be 4-7 DCB and 8-PW or 4-6 DCB and 7-PW. I need all the help I can get on distance, not necessarily launch angle, and would love a few more yards with the 7 iron.

I had the Apex CF19's up until about six months ago and purchased some Titleist T300's, which I enjoy a lot. But I do miss the feel of the Apex's on solid strikes. Just needed a little more forgiveness and not sure if the standard Apex 21's have that now or if I should go with the DCB's in the 4-7 for added distance and even more forgiveness?

Hey @JB I’d love to see a comparison of the pros next to the XForged if you can make that happen. In particular blade length.

Thinking the 21’s have got to be an upgrade on shots struck not quite on the sweet spot w/ the AI tech.

Here ya go. It’s funny in the second picture the DCB looks large, when in reality it’s not that big at all.
96BFD5D7-7C87-4F04-9F9C-20BEBF517E60.jpeg
And now all 3 apex next to X Forged.

E9DB4711-7AB7-4A40-8BCE-944CCECF0BC8.jpeg

Here ya go. It’s funny in the second picture the DCB looks large, when in reality it’s not that big at all.
View attachment 8988033
And now all 3 apex next to X Forged.

View attachment 8988035

Thank you. They look nearly identical there. I remember looking down at address at the 19 Apex pro and thinking they looked small compared to the XForged. I suspect it was my eyes playing tricks on me.

At least from those picks it looks size wise they should seem like an easy transition.

Thank you. They look nearly identical there. I remember looking down at address at the 19 Apex pro and thinking they looked small compared to the XForged. I suspect it was my eyes playing tricks on me.

At least from those picks it looks size wise they should seem like an easy transition.
The X Forged sole is thinner than the Apex Pro by a small amount in hand. Pretty different irons overall though

Handicapwise, I'm in about the same boat as you. I'm a senior golfer with a better than average striking ability, but the slow swing speed kills my distance.

I am debating whether it should be 4-7 DCB and 8-PW or 4-6 DCB and 7-PW. I need all the help I can get on distance, not necessarily launch angle, and would love a few more yards with the 7 iron.

I had the Apex CF19's up until about six months ago and purchased some Titleist T300's, which I enjoy a lot. But I do miss the feel of the Apex's on solid strikes. Just needed a little more forgiveness and not sure if the standard Apex 21's have that now or if I should go with the DCB's in the 4-7 for added distance and even more forgiveness?
7 iron is a high confidence club for me so I would like it to match my shorter scoring irons. My 6 iron is less consistent so I think that is where the split would work best for me. I would need to hit the Apex Pro,'s along with the other two to see which one I liked best.

Can anyone who has hit the Apex Pro 21 comment on how the feel compared to the Pro 19?

Can anyone who has hit the Apex Pro 21 comment on how the feel compared to the Pro 19?
Very different to me.
Honestly I preferred the new ones in sound/feel.

The Pros look better than the 19s, but the regular ones are definitely a downgrade in the looks department.

That being said, I will be ordering a set of these if the trade in deals are any good.

I’ve never looked at trade in before, probably a dumb question but can you trade in any irons?

The X Forged sole is thinner than the Apex Pro by a small amount in hand. Pretty different irons overall though

Different in the construction or the performance? I’m aware the new Apex is a hollow body with the tungsten and AI face etc...

Ultimately the performance is the question. I would expect a small drop in spin, a touch higher launch and then a slight increase is speed and speed retention across the face.

I’ve never looked at trade in before, probably a dumb question but can you trade in any irons?
More or less. If they are really old, maybe not. But generally, they will take almost anything within reason.

Ultimately the performance is the question. I would expect a small drop in spin, a touch higher launch and then a slight increase is speed and speed retention across the face.
in other words, a very different iron 😀
More forgiveness low on the face on Apex too.

The Pros look better than the 19s, but the regular ones are definitely a downgrade in the looks department.

That being said, I will be ordering a set of these if the trade in deals are any good.
Have you had them in hand?

in other words, a very different iron 😀
More forgiveness low on the face on Apex too.

The is a big bonus for me! My miss is typically a little skinny!

Well I made a stop to my local Austads that may well end up costing me money I didn't need to spend!

I asked about the lineup and when we got to talking about the Pros he kind of lit up. That was not a good sign for me. First off he said they look so, so good. The feedback was they are still small enough to look like a players club but give the hollow body benefit. He said they feel really good too.

The biggest thing he kept talking about was how long they are. He reiterated a couple times that he saw increased distance over three 19 Apex combo set he had been playing. As we were talking about it one of the other salesmen piped in and again said they are looonngg. I'm not sure how big of a different they both experienced but there was genuine excitement.

The other thing was forgiveness. Like I mentioned he had been playing the 19 combo set because he didn't feel like the Pro was forgiving enough in the longer irons. He said this set he can see going Pros throughout the bag.

This really makes new rethink my stance of not getting new irons this year.

There's usually a list of what qualifies when they offer it. Typically full sets of irons, individual wedges. Age can play a role and they're technically supposed to have 'factory shafts'. It's usually pretty easy though as long as what you have is eligible and not broken.

I'd be curious to know if the new Apex pro 4 iron can hang with the X Forged utility 4.

:unsure:

I'd be curious to know if the new Apex pro 4 iron can hang with the X Forged utility 4.

:unsure:

Launch and forgiveness will surely be different, but I don't see why it wouldn't. I have a feeling I'll be finding out though.

Back