First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

Launch and forgiveness will surely be different, but I don't see why it wouldn't. I have a feeling I'll be finding out though.
It may take an act of the man above for those pros to not end up in my bag.

Well I made a stop to my local Austads that may well end up costing me money I didn't need to spend!

I asked about the lineup and when we got to talking about the Pros he kind of lit up. That was not a good sign for me. First off he said they look so, so good. The feedback was they are still small enough to look like a players club but give the hollow body benefit. He said they feel really good too.

The biggest thing he kept talking about was how long they are. He reiterated a couple times that he saw increased distance over three 19 Apex combo set he had been playing. As we were talking about it one of the other salesmen piped in and again said they are looonngg. I'm not sure how big of a different they both experienced but there was genuine excitement.

The other thing was forgiveness. Like I mentioned he had been playing the 19 combo set because he didn't feel like the Pro was forgiving enough in the longer irons. He said this set he can see going Pros throughout the bag.

This really makes new rethink my stance of not getting new irons this year.

This feedback on the pros gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Will anyone buy without trying? I call it blind buying.. I do it on basically everything.. Pick a shaft and pray!

99% sure i will. assuming trade values hold. looking like my out of pocket will be minimal. pros all the way. embrace the masochism.

I won’t be buying a set. As long as I am playing this profile, I am sold on the Cobra Tour MIMs. However, the Pros are one of the best looking players’ irons I have ever seen, at least to my taste. They truly make me salivate.

I love my CF19 irons. Really have been the best irons I have ever owned. These look beautiful and probably not going to be able to bag them til next year, I will be gaming them.

between this and the recoil dart, callaway brought some serious heat with their stock graphite shafts.
No one does stock options better imo

I won’t be buying a set. As long as I am playing this profile, I am sold on the Cobra Tour MIMs. However, the Pros are one of the best looking players’ irons I have ever seen, at least to my taste. They truly make me salivate.
I’m bookmarking this.

I love my CF19 irons. Really have been the best irons I have ever owned. These look beautiful and probably not going to be able to bag them til next year, I will be gaming them.
I am very content with my irons too! Hard to plunk down another 800 or so $ when the 19s are so good.

No one does stock options better imo
Or upgrades too! I was leaning towards the i500 initially and then switched to the CF19s. The CTaper lite shafts were a no ipcharge with CG and $35 a shaft with Ping.

Last edited:
I am very content with my irons too! Hard to plunk down another 800 or so $ when the 19s are so good.

it’s not hard at all. you just convince yourself that new irons will fix everything and it’s a no-brainer.

but you also have to forget that the last eleventy thousand times you convinced yourself of the same, you were wrong. THIS time will be different.

Will anyone buy without trying? I call it blind buying.. I do it on basically everything.. Pick a shaft and pray!
Yep. Pre order 28th. Lock and load.

it’s not hard at all. you just convince yourself that new irons will fix everything and it’s a no-brainer.

but you also have to forget that the last eleventy thousand times you convinced yourself of the same, you were wrong. THIS time will be different.

So the question for people that think they don't need them is, do you really want to live without hope?

Just went through this thread from yesterday & still blown away by the technology that Callaway packed into these. Add in the shaft options being offered & man I do want a set of these. Now to determine is it a combo set or a Triple Play or just a straight set. Right now every set looks absolutely fantastic. I’m going to need to hit all of them or get fit.

Reading back through my notes I've thing I circled is that they showed us that the sweet spot on apex is much larger than the 19 version and that the speed across the entire face is 3 mph faster than the 19 apex with the same lofts. These also have 4 times the Tungsten than the 19 model.
This I really noted also. Loved the feel of the Apex Pro19 but would always catch the toe on miss hits, not much but just enough to miss that sweet spot.

So the question for people that think they don't need them is, do you really want to live without hope?

Hope is for the innocent and the dying. Somebody told me that. Can’t remember who...

Man, the excitement continues to roll in and I love reading all of the comments. Quick question for gapping moving into wedges for folks that maybe have the 19's or are are smarter than me in general (not hard to accomplish ). I'm really lookimg at going to a 3 wedge setup after the set AW which is different for me. With the AW being 48 what wedge would you place next? 52, 56, 60? Or perhaps 50, 54, 58. I do tend to flop my current 58 a lot around the green and don't mind the loft. Curious what others are using since these have a stronger loft than my currents.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
I would go 52 and 58 and add a club to the top of the bag.

Man, the excitement continues to roll in and I love reading all of the comments. Quick question for gapping moving into wedges for folks that maybe have the 19's or are are smarter than me in general (not hard to accomplish ). I'm really lookimg at going to a 3 wedge setup after the set AW which is different for me. With the AW being 48 what wedge would you place next? 52, 56, 60? Or perhaps 50, 54, 58. I do tend to flop my current 58 a lot around the green and don't mind the loft. Curious what others are using since these have a stronger loft than my currents.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

I have the A19s and I use the set AW which is the first time I have used a set AW but I figure the loft is the same as some set PW then I go 54, 58 so I have the set PW at 43, AW 48, 54 and 58. I would like to bend my 54 to 53 which would help even out my gapping but I haven’t done it yet. I do really like the set AW it is a very good and versatile club.

Reading back through my notes I've thing I circled is that they showed us that the sweet spot on apex is much larger than the 19 version and that the speed across the entire face is 3 mph faster than the 19 apex with the same lofts. These also have 4 times the Tungsten than the 19 model.
I have the 19 Apex Pro combo and i am.very happy with it. I wasnt sure about the pro combo but found that i could play the pros and truly believe in addition to being great irons the pros made me focus even more on center face contact and i believe that carried over to the non pros irons as well. Happy with the set and was not thinking of making a change this year but reading this thread now has me thinking. Your comments really caught my attention. Does the enlarged sweet spot carry over into the pros in the combo ? I wonder how they would compare to the 19 Pros in terms of forgiveness. I also saw a comment about the versatility of the 19 pro A wedge. Could not agree more love that wedge, Total confidence in it.

Still very much trying to figure out which combo set to pull the trigger on. I bought irons last year but am very excited about these. Better to ask for forgiveness than permission when I end up most likely grabbing a set of them lol

Last edited:
Hope is for the innocent and the dying. Somebody told me that. Can’t remember who...
I doubt many of us are innocent, but we're all dying. We need it!

forgiveness is easier than permission. Though it may sting a little more..
I won't need either. I've my own "mad money" set aside just in case I decide new irons are in the cards this coming season :)

I did it with my current driver (don't yet know if that worked), my current woods (limited initial experience suggests it did), and my newest putter (it worked). I won't be doing that with $1400+ of irons, though. I will be getting fit. I suspect I'll end up with either these (probably DCBs, but could be DCBs + standard), Cobra RADs, or Srixon ZX5s. I have to say: Of the three, I'm liking the looks of these Apex 21s the best.

If I end up with these, the only clubs in my bag that won't be Callaway will be my CBX wedges.

I won't need either. I've my own "mad money" set aside just in case I decide new irons are in the cards this coming season :)

I did it with my current driver (don't yet know if that worked), my current woods (limited initial experience suggests it did), and my newest putter (it worked). I won't be doing that with $1400+ of irons, though. I will be getting fit. I suspect I'll end up with either these (probably DCBs, but could be DCBs + standard), Cobra RADs, or Srixon ZX5s. I have to say: Of the three, I'm liking the looks of these Apex 21s the best.

If I end up with these, the only clubs in my bag that won't be Callaway will be my CBX wedges.
Nice!! Always good to ferret away some funds for a rainy day..

Back