First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

I'd be curious to know if the new Apex pro 4 iron can hang with the X Forged utility 4.

:unsure:

I would think that with something close to 90 grams of tungsten in the head it would really get off the ground and scoot. I know personally I’m leaning towards going for the 4-PW in the Pros, I just find I hit my 4 iron from my set better than utilities....not sure why, probably a “between the ears” issue 🤪!

Maaaan.
I'm loving my Ben Hogan irons...but those pros 😍
Your writeups always make me want to spend money 🤣🤣

Any word on a trade bonus? Asking for a friend.

Looks like lofts for the Pro's are the same as the '18 & '20 X forged which is a nice start.

Does the enlarged sweet spot carry over into the pros in the combo ?

It does! Essentially the only difference between the standard pros and the pros in the combo set are the lofts. You'll still have that new and improved sweet "area"!

edit: just realized I could be misreading your post and you aren’t asking about the difference between the pros and the pros in the combos. Specifically the sweet spot in the pros compared to the sweet spot of the apex.

While they didn’t specifically speak about the size of the sweet spot like they did for the apex irons, we did see a heat map of the pro face and their ability to retain ball speed throughout the face was improved over the 2019 version. Sorry for the confusion sir

Last edited:
The triple combo looks dangerous to my pocketbook. Must go try them with the Recoils for sure..... Hopefully Golf Galaxy will get them in soon to hit

edit: just realized I could be misreading your post and you aren’t asking about the difference between the pros and the pros in the combos. Specifically the sweet spot in the pros compared to the sweet spot of the apex.

While they didn’t specifically speak about the size of the sweet spot like they did for the apex irons, we did see a heat map of the pro face and they ability to retain ball speed throughout the face was improved over the 2019 version. Sorry for the confusion sir
Thanks. Look forward to giving these a shot. I really wasnt planning on making a change but everything posted here makes me definitely want to try these. Looks like Callaway took something great and improved it. The question now would be straight standard Apex 21 or go with the combo again.

Callaway Golf EU Instagram

Callaway Golf EU Instagram

If these get released later in the US (I can't imagine they won't) it is going to make early buyers angry. Makes me want to wait.... possibly....

So has anyone that doesn’t care for hollow body irons hit the pros yet ? 😳 they look so damn good
Have not hit them myself. I've seen informal stuff from others who say the feel is comparable to the '19 pros. YMMV/TBD.

The triple combo looks dangerous to my pocketbook. Must go try them with the Recoils for sure..... Hopefully Golf Galaxy will get them in soon to hit
Same. I love my Apex 19s so much but the Pros look so good. I know I don't have enough game to play a full set of Pros so a combo becomes interesting.

Have not hit them myself. I've seen informal stuff from others who say the feel is comparable to the '19 pros. YMMV/TBD.

So far they do, but my time is limited to just a 6 iron (full set run through will be later). They definitely got the sound right (to me) for the single iron there.

Any urges that I have to combo set are quickly put to rest because the cup face Pro 19s (4-7) are where the real magic lies IMO, and I assume the Pro 21s will be similar. The speed/feel/look that I get out of my Pro 19 7i is magical, so I don't want to rob myself of that in the 21s.
The Pro19 short irons are great and serve their purpose well, but are ultimately similar to any other forged players iron of an equal size.

Heard 'the Pros have more offset than I was expecting' on a popular live feed earlier this morning and immediately threw up my hands, because I'll surely hate how well I'll hit them now. It's gonna be so annoying good. I can feel it. :LOL:

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to stay away from the Pros. They just look so good. If they have added a touch more distance than in the past, that might be it for me.

Heard 'the Pros have more offset than I was expecting' on a popular live feed earlier this morning and immediately threw up my hands, because I'll surely hate how well I'll hit them now. It's gonna be so annoying good. I can feel it. :LOL:
Just bend them 3* weak like my Pro 19s lol, takes care of the offset in a jiffy.

Just bend them 3* weak like my Pro 19s lol, takes care of the offset in a jiffy.
Haha. I feel ya. The odds of me willingly moving a set 3 weak are slim to none though. I can feel the turf vibration in my elbows just thinking about it.

I am curious about the bounce and turf interaction of this line though. Haven't heard much mention of any changes there. Or anything really. Will probably be a bit before anyone really gets them outdoors.

Based on photos alone, my initial reaction on the looks was (a) the Pros look absolutely amazing, and (b) the Apex 21 look slightly regressed from the Apex 19s. Something about the badging didn’t quite appeal to me, but the more I see them, the more appealing they become. And I bet they look even better in person. I’d LOVE to get the Pros, but my ball striking just isn’t there yet. I will definitely give the Apex 21 and DCBs a workout at some point this year. The initial reviews have been absolutely outstanding.

By request, current gen next to previous.

8ED4F27D-7E49-4044-9585-5D64963C75DB.jpeg
6054B3EC-95E3-4FC0-879C-CA715B0A14D6.jpeg

I like both of the new better than the old--at least from the backs. Esp. the Pro.

Both look fine. I love the TUNGSTEN inside of my irons, not so much as a billboard on the back of them.

I hate it too. If(more likely when) these end up in the bag I’ll remove the black paint fill on that to make it subtle. Still I think these are some of the best looking irons Callaway has put out. I love they went with the satin finish on these.

I feel like I have already talked myself into a set. I really need to demo them and am hoping they perform like what I am looking for.

I probably won't end up with Pros, but that "tungsten" legend is a pretty small font. I don't think I'd give it a second thought. That being said: It does strike me as kind of odd they'd make "pro" simply embossed, but they'd paint-fill "tungsten," thus making the latter somewhat more pronounced.

Back