First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

I probably won't end up with Pros, but that "tungsten" legend is a pretty small font. I don't think I'd give it a second thought. That being said: It does strike me as kind of odd they'd make "pro" simply embossed, but they'd paint-fill "tungsten," thus making the latter somewhat more pronounced.

I assume because of the tech story. I thought I saw somewhere that it’s stamped only on the 3 - 7 irons, where they have the massive Tungsten energy core, but I could be wrong. I think it’d look sleeker without paintfill, but it doesn’t bother me at all “as is.”

I'm so giving the "mixed set" a try in the fitting center. I think I would go Apex on 5-7, and Apex Pros on 8-AW, before I tried them. That might change after hitting them though.

I'm so giving the "mixed set" a try in the fitting center. I think I would go Apex on 5-7, and Apex Pros on 8-AW, before I tried them. That might change after hitting them though.

my understanding is you get what you get and you don't pitch a fit when it comes to the combo sets. there's no 5-6 apex and 7-aw pro combo; it's one set with specific tooling to make it work.

Looks wise I much prefer this iteration of the Pros. For the regular line both are great looking and pretty even.

my understanding is you get what you get and you don't pitch a fit when it comes to the combo sets. there's no 5-6 apex and 7-aw pro combo; it's one set with specific tooling to make it work.
This is correct. Any set that combines the Apex and the Apex Pros (Triple Play, Mixed) has predetermined breaking points between the standard and the Pro that can't be changed when ordering a combo set. People will of course be welcome to buy individual irons and try to make your own set by bending and trying to make their own combos but that avenue isn't recommended.

However if you're looking at comboing the DCB and the Apex (Sweet Spot) or the Pros and the MBs (Player) you can buy individual irons to make your own combos. Though the break point is recommended where it is in the Player set because of the Pro Face Cup.

Edit: looks like @HarryPotter beat me to it lol

I understand that, but.... what I actually said was 5-7 Apex and 8-AW Pros. I just won't use the 3, 4 irons more than likely. Here's what the Callaway website states: "
Perfectly Blended Combo Set
Now you can combine Apex (3-7) and Apex Pro (8-AW) Irons to build the perfect set for your game. "

I understand that, but.... what I actually said was 5-7 Apex and 8-AW Pros. I just won't use the 3, 4 irons more than likely. Here's what the Callaway website states: "
Perfectly Blended Combo Set
Now you can combine Apex (3-7) and Apex Pro (8-AW) Irons to build the perfect set for your game. "
I did ask about starting at a different point than the 3i and they said that would be possible so I'm sure you'd be able to start at the 5i. That was what I was thinking of doing myself!

I did ask about starting at a different point than the 3i and they said that would be possible so I'm sure you'd be able to start at the 5i. That was what I was thinking of doing myself!

I would assume so. My current ‘19 combo set starts at the 5i.

However if you're looking at comboing the DCB and the Apex (Sweet Spot) or the Pros and the MBs (Player) you can buy individual irons to make your own combos. Though the break point is recommended where it is in the Player set because of the Pro Face Cup.

Edit: looks like @HarryPotter beat me to it lol

Which is exactly why I don't like it. I know I'm not the standard buyer/player, but who is in the pro-mb? And I've run the on course numbers with a lot of sets now, and for me, when a manufacturer (or just me) tries to break them there, and break all the tech at the same spot (change faces, grooves, etc AND the big loft switch) it causes problems that in the end affect proximity. You can bend the crap out of them, but that changes turf, flight, and spin windows and the whole thing is just more complicated. I don't get it. It's based in forgiveness, not actual playability as far as I'm concerned. It's like saying lets take away some ball speed, and add some spin, and a whole bunch of other stuff, all at once, just because, and by the way, try to juice an 8i now to make up for it, because that's absolutely harder than doing it with a 7 thanks to, you know, physics. I'd love to be proven wrong on how that plays out for me on this set or any other really, but until all the changes aren't made at that spot, I don't see how it would happen.

Oh and everyone can feel free to ignore this very tiny island I just ranted my way onto. Sail on by. :LOL:

Which is exactly why I don't like it. I know I'm not the standard buyer/player, but who is in the pro-mb? And I've run the on course numbers with a lot of sets now, and for me, when a manufacturer (or just me) tries to break them there, and break all the tech at the same spot (change faces, grooves, etc AND the big loft switch) it causes problems that in the end affect proximity. You can bend the crap out of them, but that changes turf, flight, and spin windows and the whole thing is just more complicated. I don't get it. It's based in forgiveness, not actual playability as far as I'm concerned. It's like saying lets take away some ball speed, and add some spin, and a whole bunch of other stuff, all at once, just because, and by the way, try to juice an 8i now to make up for it, because that's absolutely harder than doing it with a 7 thanks to, you know, physics. I'd love to proven wrong on how that plays out for me on this set or any other really, but until all the changes aren't made at that spot, I don't see how it would happen.

Oh and everyone can feel free to ignore this very tiny island I just ranted my way onto. Sail on by. :LOL:
(y):rolleyes::ROFLMAO: There just wasn't enough choices in the standard button.
Oh and 🤙

Which is exactly why I don't like it. I know I'm not the standard buyer/player, but who is in the pro-mb? And I've run the on course numbers with a lot of sets now, and for me, when a manufacturer (or just me) tries to break them there, and break all the tech at the same spot (change faces, grooves, etc AND the big loft switch) it causes problems that in the end affect proximity. You can bend the crap out of them, but that changes turf, flight, and spin windows and the whole thing is just more complicated. I don't get it. It's based in forgiveness, not actual playability as far as I'm concerned. It's like saying lets take away some ball speed, and add some spin, and a whole bunch of other stuff, all at once, just because, and by the way, try to juice an 8i now to make up for it, because that's absolutely harder than doing it with a 7 thanks to, you know, physics. I'd love to be proven wrong on how that plays out for me on this set or any other really, but until all the changes aren't made at that spot, I don't see how it would happen.

I really didn’t see any of those issues in my Smoke Combo set, but I could see that being a mess if someone tries to fashion their own.

Soooooo what irons are you going to end up getting to test lol

Did I post something? :unsure::unsure::unsure: Don't remember that. Weird. I bet if you wait just a little bit you may just see that a bunch of different places.
Haha

And I definitely didn't download it, so thanks man. ;)(y)

are you saying you were interested in the pro/mb combo?

20210114_134850.jpg

I actually got a LOT last night I'll have you know!!

It's actually got me a little spicy today. I'm digging holes all over this island and you just try and stop me. :p

are you saying you were interested in the pro/mb combo?
Yeah I have and really like the MB's already. Been pairing them with the X Forged, but I might try a round with P7MC into Apex MB while I wait for the Apex awesomeness, just for fun.

Yeah I have and really like the MB's already. Been pairing them with the X Forged, but I might try a round with P7MC into Apex MB while I wait for the Apex awesomeness, just for fun.
This is what I had suggested earlier in the thread also, 6-7 pro, 8-pw mb, I thought it would be a nice combination.

This is what I had suggested earlier in the thread also, 6-7 pro, 8-pw mb, I thought it would be a nice combination.
Yeah, but I don't like the transitions between the 7 & 8 along with all the tech changes. That's the basis of the madness buried at the bottom of the last page.

To be clear, you can order ANY combination of Apex heads you want... Literally, go to your club or golf store and put a custom order in for what YOU want. All good there.

As for the combo sets being offered, they were based on work with R&D, data from previous custom orders, player testing, feedback from top fitters across the country and small spec tweaks to perfectly dial in performance and gapping. I am confident those who get one of the "stock" combo sets will have a great experience. We are excited about this option for players. I am happy to answer any other questions, though I am limited on time, you know, cause I have to solve the world's fitting problems. :sneaky::p:D

View attachment 8988219

I actually got a LOT last night I'll have you know!!

It's actually got me a little spicy today. I'm digging holes all over this island and you just try and stop me. :p

How far away are we from you drawing faces on your driver and talking to it? Suppose "Wilson" would be replaced with "Titleist."

To be clear, you can order ANY combination of Apex heads you want... Literally, go to your club or golf store and put a custom order in for what YOU want. All good there.

As for the combo sets being offered, they were based on work with R&D, data from previous custom orders, player testing, feedback from top fitters across the country and small spec tweaks to perfectly dial in performance and gapping. I am confident those who get one of the "stock" combo sets will have a great experience. We are excited about this option for players. I am happy to answer any other questions, though I am limited on time, you know, cause I have to solve the world's fitting problems. :sneaky::p:D

haha Appreciate that. And the responses. It's awesome having you take part in all this craziness and speculation. Definitely fuels the obsession and excitement while keeping anyone from getting too deep into what .. isn't even an actual rabbit hole. (y) I'm sure I'll love them and work out whatever setup works best for me.

How far away are we from you drawing faces on your driver and talking to it? Suppose "Wilson" would be replaced with "Titleist."

Couple minutes away probably, to be honest. But instead of opening a wound to paint a driver face (although that sounds really badass, and might actually lower spin :unsure:), I'm just gonna go mash some Epics instead.

See ya! :D

I probably won't end up with Pros, but that "tungsten" legend is a pretty small font. I don't think I'd give it a second thought. That being said: It does strike me as kind of odd they'd make "pro" simply embossed, but they'd paint-fill "tungsten," thus making the latter somewhat more pronounced.
It seems as though “Tungsten” has become such a buzzword that multiple manufacturers feel it necessary to identify it on the iron head. Although they are night a contrasting color, the Cobra Tour MIMs have “tungsten” engraved across the back of the iron, along the toe. I don’t get it, personally.

Back