First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

@JB do you know if we are able to order the mmt 105 stiff shafts? The only option for the 105's that I could see were the x-flex

@JB do you know if we are able to order the mmt 105 stiff shafts? The only option for the 105's that I could see were the x-flex

I don't, but you can ask during the Live Stream today. (y)

Had a little fun with these this afternoon. Only had a few minutes before they closed but I’m in love! So good and so consistent. They concede nothing to the 19’s and gain a bit in ball speed and spin. I’ll have to get some numbers later but for now here a few shots.View attachment 8989395
View attachment 8989396
View attachment 8989397
View attachment 8989398
View attachment 8989399
My gosh those Pros are so good looking. Callaway really nailed it there (especially)

@Canadan or @Jman I have the X Forged CB but am intrigued by the 21 Apex Pros any noticeable added benefits versus the 2 sets? Unless the 21 Pros are noticeably better I don't see the need to make a change. Thanks in advance.

I don't, but you can ask during the Live Stream today. (y)
Sounds good, really looking forward to this one

@Canadan or @Jman I have the X Forged CB but am intrigued by the 21 Apex Pros any noticeable added benefits versus the 2 sets? Unless the 21 Pros are noticeably better I don't see the need to make a change. Thanks in advance.
Really depends on what you’re looking for. Apex pro seem to be a pretty special product and from the hollow body family possibly the most playable iron in the category for a low capper.

that in mind... the x forged cb are special. I’ve become a bit smitten this week by them.

Round 2 for the mmt and apex pros. The show was kinda stolen by the Max LS but that’s for a different thread. This time I took my new Mizuno JPX forged 7 iron with me that is shafted with the blackout px LZ 6.0’s and compared them to the mmt 95’s. Other than the obvious weight difference which I could tell the performance of the 2 irons was very similar on a launch and spin perspective. The JPX’s were a little longer but not by much. On well struck shots both clubs felt great but I think I give the edge to the apex pro but that could have been due to the shaft. After today’s live show and finding out that I could in fact order the mmt 105’s that is the way I’m leaning. It was too late in the day for the shop to call Callaway but that is what they are doing tomorrow. If I can get the mmt’s in 105 stiff I will place the order & if I have to order the 95’s I’m pretty sure I will. I’m hoping being in Canada they are able to get that shaft for me. Callaway has an excellent line up and I’m sure everything will be on back order quick. Anyone on the fence with trying graphite don’t sleep on the mmt, I know I had no intention of playing graphite iron shafts and now it’s all I can think of after only hitting them twice

I put the Apex 21 7 iron against my gamer 7 iron tonight and the Apex was on average 15 yards further, more consistent in the distance, better dispersion, and just seemed automatic. They killed my gamers!

The data and discussion today have me narrowed to an Apex and to forget the pro, but perhaps a dcb in the top with combo so readily available.

A combo in the new Apex and Pro's would be perfect in my bag!

Second day trying these and I must say the new Apex irons are impressive. The entire line really. As for the Apex, less offset than expected. Longer than expected, distance wise. The Pros have stolen my heart though.

I think my biggest question is how much the Apex Pros are going to spin compared to the XForged.

That much tungsten makes me think a high launch low spin type of iron. The lofts and the target market though make me think it might not be to much that way. I need to test these out soon.

If I have time on Monday I want to bring my Apex MB's in to see and hit alongside the Pros. They'd look great in the bag together, but I'm more and more curious about the visual and flight transitions. The itch for theses is definitely not going away. Liked the feel more I thought I would and the thinner top line and less offset than the X is interesting.

I think my biggest question is how much the Apex Pros are going to spin compared to the XForged.

That much tungsten makes me think a high launch low spin type of iron. The lofts and the target market though make me think it might not be to much that way. I need to test these out soon.

Newton actually gets more peak height and less spin with the Pros in this video...plenty of stopping power though.

@Canadan hit them back to back with the data on our live stream. That can still be viewed.

the pros will be in my bag in some form or fashion. i like the idea of the mixed combo or players combo. but a frankencombo sounds kinda cool. dcb 5i 1* weak. apex 6i 1* weak. pro 7-pw. i’ll be putting together some sets when preorder starts to see what kind of shaft options there are. although on the thp showcase @DNevsCG said they can basically get whatever shaft you want, which was awesome!

I was going to watch @CobraX51 hit balls today at the demo but I still can't drive (I could but not worth the risk) so I will have to wait and see them another time.
The Pro Combo set is calling me and at some point a demo will happen, for those who have seen them were they just the straight up 7 irons or did they have the combo spec 7 irons also? Hitting the Pro 2* deg strong would be more telling, but I guess that is unlikley unless it is a Callaway fitting center to have that many option.

The data and discussion today have me narrowed to an Apex and to forget the pro, but perhaps a dcb in the top with combo so readily available.
We're going to have to rent out an all day sim session at 1899, because more and more stuff keeps being added to my want to try list, with the Apex line firmly on that list. Add a theragun too formal the swings I want to take.

In the Apex line, I could see the DCB, Apex, and Apex Pro. This makes the Sweet Spot combo really tempting...

@Canadan hit them back to back with the data on our live stream. That can still be viewed.
Which one, where? I just spent 10 minutes casually trying find that point to help the guy out, and I watched/listened live, and in the background again later, and couldn't find/decipher that data point among the multiple, fairly long streams.

Which one, where? I just spent 10 minutes casually trying find that point to help the guy out, and I watched/listened live, and in the background again later, and couldn't find/decipher that data point among the multiple, fairly long streams.
The Callaway live stream that started at 2 o'clock p.m. on Thursday, wasn't it?

Right near the beginning of this?

I watched a few different streams. I must have missed that one.

the pros will be in my bag in some form or fashion. i like the idea of the mixed combo or players combo. but a frankencombo sounds kinda cool. dcb 5i 1* weak. apex 6i 1* weak. pro 7-pw. i’ll be putting together some sets when preorder starts to see what kind of shaft options there are. although on the thp showcase @DNevsCG said they can basically get whatever shaft you want, which was awesome!
I had our local shop call and inquire about getting the MMT 105’s after the live thread and hearing that they could get anything. I’m not sure if ordering from Canada is any different than from the US but was told that they could probably get them but it would be a full upcharge and he didn’t know what the extra cost would be yet. I guess that makes senses but I was hoping since they offered other weights in the MMT that it wouldn’t cost extra

I had our local shop call and inquire about getting the MMT 105’s after the live thread and hearing that they could get anything. I’m not sure if ordering from Canada is any different than from the US but was told that they could probably get them but it would be a full upcharge and he didn’t know what the extra cost would be yet. I guess that makes senses but I was hoping since they offered other weights in the MMT that it wouldn’t cost extra

i would expect the lower cost of mmt as a stock option is based on volume purchasing. full retail for a one-off special request makes sense to me.

i’m still confused about the importance of the tooling. i get bounce and loft differences. but is the tooling because one shaft option only comes in parallel tip or taper tip, so you can’t use the same shaft in the apex as the pro?

Back