First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

Apex Pro 5-PW ordered. Can't wait to compare them to my Forged Tecs!

Did Apex Pro 21 6-AW with PX LZ’s. Can’t wait.

i got to hit the pros today. i hit the 7i in standard l/l/l with modus 120s. came in cold, wearing regular shoes. this was at pga tour superstore on their monitors with their crappy wilson practice balls off their mats. i’ll say these kind of spin numbers aren’t all that uncommon for me, but i still wonder if the readings weren’t right because the flight was very stable looking and incredibly consistent. these are 3 consecutive shots (i messed up the first pic but the flight was identical to the other two):

B76D4628-67CF-4448-BDA3-880F224EF888.jpeg

9BA00F60-0E57-414A-A949-AA4E2D53DC70.jpeg

10755DA1-FC8F-4DD3-8B8D-6E8B3A91D0E4.jpeg

i got to hit the pros today. i hit the 7i in standard l/l/l with modus 120s. came in cold, wearing regular shoes. this was at pga tour superstore on their monitors with their crappy wilson practice balls off their mats. i’ll say these kind of spin numbers aren’t all that uncommon for me, but i still wonder if the readings weren’t right because the flight was very stable looking and incredibly consistent. these are 3 consecutive shots (i messed up the first pic but the flight was identical to the other two):

View attachment 8990420

View attachment 8990421

View attachment 8990423
Nice straight ball flights.

i know that low spin will freak some people out, but that's not uncommon for me, and i would think a tour ball on a better monitor would probably yield different results.

what stands out to me is how consistent the ball speed and carry are. those 3 shots felt SO good. i hit a lot of stinkers, but the ones i missed just a bit still got out there within 3-5 yards of those carry for those 3 above. that tells me these irons are forgiving and super consistent.

in hand, they look incredible. absolutely nailed it. i compared to a zx7, and the top line is thinner but not crazy. i'd say they're slightly more generous than the cobra mim i also held in hand, but very similar.

the feel is intoxicating. maybe the best feeling iron i've ever hit. and to me, they weren't intimidating at all. i wouldn't say they're generous, but they're not tiny butter knives either. they checked every visual box i would want.

kinda changes what i was expecting to order. it will either be straight pros, or 6-gw pro and maybe an apex 6i. but after hitting 7i, there's no way i'd order the mixed combo and lose that sexy pro 21 7i.

dare i say it? best. irons. ever!

Nice straight ball flights.

here’s the flight for the first of the 3 shots. it’s almost identical. i would get these bent at least 1* flat, maybe 1.5* flat.

E1937513-F50D-4414-8A15-FCAC731E5C90.jpeg

i didn't pay close enough attention, but this was a fitting head, and the shaft was labeled for the xfcb. i think the grip may have been the stock callaway z grip. i have z cords on all my clubs, and this was not the same. i would order the golf pride z cord instead because it has more texture to it. the club slipped in my hands a couple times.

So you anticipated that the XForged would be longer hitting and lower spinning than the Apex Pro? hmmm...I wouldn't have guessed that.
Well not a ton on same shots (I'd have to check, couple hundred?), but I turn them over more, and they have less spin as a result. Looked like he did too. I'll have to watch the whole thing later. X Forged are definitely not spinny though. If you hit spinny fades and want to straighten them out, that freaking offset might help with that. Apex Pro have been more neutral for me overall. I love the head weighting of the X Forged for straight flight, but I'm a roller and that offset can get me. And that kills loft and spin. That's part of why I'm playing them right now (was earlier), to get some more data and see how I adjust to them. They've been good in the long irons with my MB's, but I want to see how they stand on their own for me out there.

Last edited:
181 carry with 7i, nice @McLovin , excuse me while I swing my 4 hybrid :LOL::LOL:

I went on th site today a specter out the graphite with Recoils, 1400 for 4-pw day-um

181 carry with 7i, nice @McLovin , excuse me while I swing my 4 hybrid :LOL::LOL:

very well could be a jacked monitor. on the course i'm pulling 7i from 170-175. but with my cf19, i could get some really long 7i distance. i've never seen that kind of consistency with 3 consecutive shots, though. that really blew my mind.

i didn't pay close enough attention, but this was a fitting head, and the shaft was labeled for the xfcb. i think the grip may have been the stock callaway z grip. i have z cords on all my clubs, and this was not the same. i would order the golf pride z cord instead because it has more texture to it. the club slipped in my hands a couple times.
So you don't know what the shaft was? IO/LS are often labeled for XFCB.

View attachment 8990420

View attachment 8990421

View attachment 8990423
Your 7i distance is rolling out to 195??? Tell your swing coach I said Hi.

Good stuff @McLovin !
I do wonder if the large amounts of tungsten down low contribute to low spin, but I'll need to hit them for myself to be sure.
I like the idea of 6-GW Apex Pro and then an Apex 21 6 iron.

I highly suspected this would happen! 👍
It wasn't supposed to :LOL: I tried my best to resist. I just couldn't after being in the presentation about them. Then the Showcase just put me over the edge

So you don't know what the shaft was? IO/LS are often labeled for XFCB.

it was definitely modus 120s. i just don't know for sure that it was the stock callaway z grip. i would have ordered that grip, but after holding it in hand i would not order it. i like more texture than that grip provided. they offer the z cord for $6 upcharge, so i would go that route.

Your 7i distance is rolling out to 195??? Tell your swing coach I said Hi.

meh, i never trust those rollout numbers on any monitor. my 7i stops within 6' unless i'm playing a course with insanely firm greens.

meh, i never trust those rollout numbers on any monitor. my 7i stops within 6' unless i'm playing a course with insanely firm greens.
180yds carry is still a big 7i.

Good stuff @McLovin !
I do wonder if the large amounts of tungsten down low contribute to low spin, but I'll need to hit them for myself to be sure.
I like the idea of 6-GW Apex Pro and then an Apex 21 6 iron.

yeah that's a good question. if i go hit them again, i'll bring another 7i in to hit against it. i also wonder whether i just swing differently on mats. when my instructor and i are hitting 7i outdoors, his trackman usually has my spin in the 6k range. same club indoors on a quad with dots, it will register 4k with tour balls. maybe i'm just scared to swing with negative attack indoors.

it was definitely modus 120s. i just don't know for sure that it was the stock callaway z grip. i would have ordered that grip, but after holding it in hand i would not order it. i like more texture than that grip provided. they offer the z cord for $6 upcharge, so i would go that route.
Oh, sorry. I must have missed that. Still catching up in pieces after playing. Okay, probably the Z Grip Soft. I like those. I saw in the grip choice for this year thread though that you like the corded ones, which I find madness (they're the hardest grips they sell!), but to each.. Of course, if you get the ones you like, and you're not hitting the ball as dead straight, you'll know what the problem is. :p

Probably has everything to do with the firmness setting. Think PGA Tour fairways :ROFLMAO:

Back