First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

I think once the initial demand wears off, we'll see production catch up. So far, the delays seem to be component related from what I can tell.
I'm sure you're right on, I'm just selfish. Lol

Delays are across the board with all companies I think. I talked to my fitter yesterday because I'm still waiting on my Driver ordered on 1/29 from Callaway and he said, don't be surprised if you order stuff around May that the expected ship dates be 2-3 months out. Golf has boomed and suppliers from shaft and grip companies are having issues keeping up with demand.

While I was on hold with Callaway I went to see what a ship date on a set of P770's would be and their website was saying JUNE for the 4-AW in C Taper S+. I'm all in on the Pro's so wouldn't have pulled the trigger either way, but can attest that delays are at least with other manufacturers too.

While I was on hold with Callaway I went to see what a ship date on a set of P770's would be and their website was saying JUNE for the 4-AW in C Taper S+. I'm all in on the Pro's so wouldn't have pulled the trigger either way, but can attest that delays are at least with other manufacturers too.

Yes, indeed. My last Callaway order, Apex 4H, arrived today, and sadly I’m still waiting on the Mizzies I ordered in early January. Does seem that all OEMs are facing this challenge.

Delays are across the board with all companies I think. I talked to my fitter yesterday because I'm still waiting on my Driver ordered on 1/29 from Callaway and he said, don't be surprised if you order stuff around May that the expected ship dates be 2-3 months out. Golf has boomed and suppliers from shaft and grip companies are having issues keeping up with demand.

Srixon's website flat says they are sold out on the zx5's & 7's and to check with your local retailer. You can't place an order on their site. They just redirect you to a find your local retailer link.

I have the Triple Play with MMT 95's coming. The backorder date was first week of March, now pushed back to mid-march. Really looking forward to hearing what those of you that have the MMT's in this set think. Glad I ordered when I did, sounds like it's going to be another busy year for golf.

I had a lesson last night and each time I get to use these irons, I am growing more fond of the combination with the MMT shaft. The 95 gram is such a perfect fit for my swing.

Please don’t be afraid to think about graphite in your irons, if you have been hesitant in the past. I certainly am not saying that everyone fits the MMT shaft, but if you find a graphite shaft that you like, it could make the game significantly easier for you and your body.

I had a lesson last night and each time I get to use these irons, I am growing more fond of the combination with the MMT shaft. The 95 gram is such a perfect fit for my swing.

Please don’t be afraid to think about graphite in your irons, if you have been hesitant in the past. I certainly am not saying that everyone fits the MMT shaft, but if you find a graphite shaft that you like, it could make the game significantly easier for you and your body.
Is there a iron shaft that you think these MMT even comes close to?
So if I like PX LZ, would I have a chance to liek these?
OR Modus 120?
How about C-Tape Lite?

Is there a iron shaft that you think these MMT even comes close to?
So if I like PX LZ, would I have a chance to liek these?
OR Modus 120?
How about C-Tape Lite?
I don’t know how to compare them to steel. They just feel more satisfying to me. The thing is that at 95 grams, they are lighter than any of those listed, but yet they really keep the spin and ball flight down. I can feel the shaft release, too. I don’t know of a 95 gram shaft that would give that kind of performance and that is why the comparison is hard. I like a steel shaft in the 105 to 115 weight class. DG 105 and Modus 105 work pretty well for me, but these work better and feel great to me.

I don’t know how to compare them to steel. They just feel more satisfying to me. The thing is that at 95 grams, they are lighter than any of those listed, but yet they really keep the spin and ball flight down. I can feel the shaft release, too. I don’t know of a 95 gram shaft that would give that kind of performance and that is why the comparison is hard. I like a steel shaft in the 105 to 115 weight class. DG 105 and Modus 105 work pretty well for me, but these work better and feel great to me.

I am taking the same step in my Apex Pros. Moving from 125g stiff steel Obans to 110g Xstiff Recoils. During some recent testing I found that both shafts create the same ball speed from the same swing speed but the recoils dropped the launch angle and spin numbers a bit while still keeping really good height and descent angles. Plus its a bit lighter and more shock absorbing which helps with feel and fatigue. The CT125 steel shaft is still a fantastic shaft but windy days have given me trouble because of the higher launch/peak height they give me. Time to dial it down a bit.

I switched to graphite before these so this isn’t my first foray in to the material, but I put the MMTs in my Pros. The pairing is working wonders. Like others have said, they do their job very well of keeping the spin and launch down. The thing with these is that they aren’t short of feel whatsoever. They are responsive and you know exactly what’s going on with the club while using them. I have only ever felt that with my Recoils. Getting used to these is becoming easier and easier

So, low spinning iron shots keep me up at night. I hate them. I was on the fence about doing a Players Combo with the Apex MB. I wanted the extra spin. I hit the Apex Pro vs Apex MB briefly and found that the numbers were pretty similar between the two even with my winter rust in full effect. Ended up going full Apex Pro but kind of had a doubt in the back of my mind. Not anymore.

Just watched the TXG video on the Apex Pro. The Apex was spinning a little more and was actually more consistent from strike to strike. Full Apex Pro was probably the right call after all haha. Can't wait to get these out on the course. In the meantime, I have 18 simulator holes coming up on Sunday to look forward to.

1614293314394.png

High praise from TXG on the Pros.

I’ve been hitting these in the garage on my net every day for the last 8 days.
Combine that with having started lessons (second one tomorrow), I am loooooving the Triple Play. The feel of each of the irons is sooooo good.

The strikes are so good feeling, and with what I’m seeing on strike location, this is the most confident I have felt perhaps ever.
Mavrik irons were traded in and no longer even a thought. And I love those.

I do still have a Mavrik 4 iron, and comparing it to my Apex DCB 4 iron, the feel is so different. In an inspiring way.

can’t wait to get on trackman for my lesson tomorrow and see results with data as opposed to a net in my garage.
I’m so excited for Thursday night men’s league!!!!!

they did a great job breaking these down.
Blade consistency in a hollow body, players performance iron. Oh and pretty forgiving too. Toed shots found nearly the same exact distance with a little more bend to the flight. Long irons are launching high and dropping in the descent of a much higher iron. Marvelous.

Well I'll have to watch the vid @radiman posted, but I got my first full 18 in with the custom Players Combo, and I didn't think it could get much better than the first 9 I took them out on last week.

But it could. I putted my ass off today for some inexplicable reason so that helped, but as far as iron play...

Screenshot_20210225-183153_TheGrint.jpg
I hit 16 greens, and was putting from 15' or less on 12 of them. Long story short, NET 69 (-3). That doesn't happen very easily and it was pretty fun! :p

The Pro long irons work well for my swing. 230yd 4-irons that get in the air and land softly is really nice into greens. Love the ability to flight down the MB's with them in breezy conditions too. Just a ton of fun to plan and execute with the set all around. The sound of the Pros is taking a little to get used to, but they feel nice and distance is strong. Heck of a day to get back out there and enjoy some new clubs! Just loved all of it.

Last edited:
High praise from TXG on the Pros.

Well the long iron part sounds real familiar. Lol Swear I didn't watch it before posting after my round.

Well the long iron part sounds real familiar. Lol Swear I didn't watch it before posting after my round.

haha i read your comment and thought that too. same distance, same comments on the incredibly impressive land angle with a 4i.

these pro 21s are phenomenal.

haha i read your comment and thought that too. same distance, same comments on the incredibly impressive land angle with a 4i.

these pro 21s are phenomenal.
I was telling another former yesterday that the first time I took them out I hit 4i off all the tees, and again on the par 5 fairways and they were within 2 yards either direction of 230 every single time. Everything was plugging so it was easy to see, and I was really impressed with the consistency. Same thing into the long par 3 today. 230 back fringe (back pin) like clockwork. Big fan of that. Except that it's honestly a little tight, yardage wise, on my X Forged UT 21 so far.

I was telling another former yesterday that the first time I took them out I hit 4i off all the tees, and again on the par 5 fairways and they were within 2 yards either direction of 230 every single time. Everything was plugging so it was easy to see, and I was really impressed with the consistency. Same thing into the long par 3 today. 230 back fringe (back pin) like clockwork. Big fan of that. Except that it's honestly a little tight, yardage wise, on my X Forged UT 21 so far.
You must swing like Matt from TXG, they just did a video on the pros and the distance/spin consistency was just ridiculous

You must swing like Matt from TXG, they just did a video on the pros and the distance/spin consistency was just ridiculous
Lol I don't swing like Matt. His body has lived a different life than mine has. The consistency has impressed me in the long irons Same with the ZX UT. That thing is super consistent with distance. For the Apex Pros to be as long as they are within that though is really something imo.

Lol I don't swing like Matt. His body has lived a different life than mine has. The consistency has impressed me in the long irons Same with the ZX UT. That thing is super consistent with distance. For the Apex Pros to be as long as they are within that though is really something imo.
His swing is just so robotic, its the exact same everytime, if I'm ever feeling good about my game il just watch some TXG videos to put me in my place

I have the Triple Play with MMT 95's coming. The backorder date was first week of March, now pushed back to mid-march. Really looking forward to hearing what those of you that have the MMT's in this set think. Glad I ordered when I did, sounds like it's going to be another busy year for golf.

What combination did you go with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quoting myself from another thread....

...That name Players Cavity feels antique. I propose "Player Performance" sitting between Player Distance and MB.

I wasn't the only one! And, the Player Performance category got the nod. 🤠

Also mentioned was how blade like these are. It was cool to see the end result, where like @Canadan CBX2 video, the Apex Pro snuck out a win on consistency... "beating the blade at its own game".

Back