First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

Even here in the States, I'm having difficulty finding fitters with the MMT and some of the other shaft offerings kindly recommended here. One fitter from Golf Tec said they are having difficulty getting them from Mitsubishi because of demand. Only some locations had them. Another fitter said he could order the MMT and OTi but it would be around a month to arrive. Good luck!
That's interesting to hear. Reading the comments made me think that those are pretty common. Besides that, they seem to be more and more in action on tour, that's why I thought it would be pretty interesting, although they will cost more for sure.

But I don't have a problem playing steel, even the stock shafts. It was more that the fitting pro seemed to be more interested in selling lessons rather then clubs. And he couldn't make me believe the shaft he gave me was the right one.

Anyway, I think I just need to hop on a plane to see the guys from TXG, tickets are cheap right now ;)

While I wait on a combo set, a couple of thoughts. I wanted the impossible to get mmt 105 shafts but found a nice fit with catalyst 100. I wouldn't overlook those. They are very stable for a graphite shaft and good feel too. I am also increasingly happy I went with the pre-setup combo where the regular Apex starts at 7i. I am only going on my fitting as I don't have the clubs yet, but the regular Apex was nicely balanced between forgiveness and playability. And although they are stronger lofts and longer than what I am playing (mp-18 mmc), the launch and spin is darn good for me. Last year I averaged 55% GIR. I have a hunch this setup will help me increase those numbers. I do have to adjust to longer distances, and that impact will mostly play out with some minor wedge adjustments. I am excited and, for now, patiently waiting.

That's interesting to hear. Reading the comments made me think that those are pretty common. Besides that, they seem to be more and more in action on tour, that's why I thought it would be pretty interesting, although they will cost more for sure.

But I don't have a problem playing steel, even the stock shafts. It was more that the fitting pro seemed to be more interested in selling lessons rather then clubs. And he couldn't make me believe the shaft he gave me was the right one.

Anyway, I think I just need to hop on a plane to see the guys from TXG, tickets are cheap right now ;)
I'd love a fitting from TXG! Great guys. I wouldn't mind a new store called Hackers Paradise club fitting and lessons!

I think the bag is set for this season ( at least until December ).

IMG_20210328_182617_Bokeh.jpg

Last edited:
pro21 will get one, maybe two more chances for my bag. i adore the look. i adore the feel. i adore the height. but we haven’t fallen in love on the course yet. maybe, just maybe, i’ve found something. if so, and it carries over to the pro21, they’ll be the gamer cuz they just check so many boxes. the only box is they don’t check is the one that matters: the hit the green box haha

How is everyone finding the 21 pros compared to the 19 pros? I played the 19's all last year and liked them. Just picked up a set of Double dot 19's but man these new Pros are calling my name, I just need to justify it. ( p.s. I will likely have a set of MP20 mb and MMc combos for sale soon to fund the new pros)

Really smitten with the Apex 21s. Paired with the Black Elevate 95s, I am hitting the ball high and stopping it on a dime. I do need to remember these are lighter shafts, because I've had a few big hooks, but for the most part high baby draws on my numbers.

I've been contemplating picking up the Apex 5i to test against my DCB, but the DCB shined again in its limited roll. Same hole as last weekend, 205-210 from the green on a par 5, ball below my feet, and I hit a high, straight shot that lands softly on the green, leaving me a 30-40 footer for eagle. I think, for now, I'll stick with the DCB, because its the easiest forged long iron I've ever hit.

pro21 will get one, maybe two more chances for my bag. i adore the look. i adore the feel. i adore the height. but we haven’t fallen in love on the course yet. maybe, just maybe, i’ve found something. if so, and it carries over to the pro21, they’ll be the gamer cuz they just check so many boxes. the only box is they don’t check is the one that matters: the hit the green box haha
My loyalties are so torn on this one..

I got to play a par 3 course yesterday morning and these really performed well. The course has small, fast greens with a lot of movement. I hit a ton of greens. My swing is in a good place and the irons felt great.

Alright, Pros were able to be swung respectively today and good thing too because the wind didn’t let up from yesterday. These keep the spin down most of the time to allow me to either flight the ball easily or just club up. There was one shot today though that I had a 110yd 7i:LOL: that one got away from me and straight ballooned. Spin is super manageable (though the CSX LS helped as well).

The distance these things are able to push out are just so useful, especially in a windy environment. Besides one hole that was an utter blowup, I was doing exactly what I wanted today.Huge boost to the confidence compared to yesterday. Handicap scoring starts next week so hopefully I’ve gotten used to them!

Last edited:
Anybody ordered the Apex 21 sweet spot combo. Made the mistake of hitting a friends couple year old apex last night.

Was able to sneak away at lunch to hit some with these. The MMTs def added a bit more of a softer feel through the ball.
Range balls barely had dimples and it was crazy windy, so not much to say other than more to come.... They look sweet with the black shafts and white grips.

74F7CF10-50AE-44EC-B06E-8BABF93066C2.jpeg5B40DC72-77D3-44DC-8A56-396209AA9A63.jpeg94EC5A70-0910-46F0-BCFD-567FF644E8D2.jpeg

Today’s round solidified that the Triple Play was absolutely right for me.

DCB: 4 iron on a 187 yard, slightly uphill par 3. Super easy long iron to hit, on a hole in traditionally struggle. (Lots of trouble left side). Slight draw, left side of green. Easy two putt par.

Apex: the 7 and 8 irons were long and straight today. Distances were great, feel was even better.

Apex Pro: the approach wedge stole the show today. Not only was it super consistent from 110 out, I have come to use it on some ‘bump and run” style shots. It was 4 for 5 on those shots, all stopping within a foot of the hole for easy tap in pars, except for 1 that went about 4 feet by.
AW is my go to around the green unless I don't have very much green to work with between me and the pin. I feel so comfortable with it and it's so good!

My new Pro’s with MMT 95’s arrived today....just need home course to open....looking like April 8th 🤞. They look so hot 🔥.

F1FB9754-19BC-40AB-B6B2-245F626A3250.jpeg

Got nine in after work today. Had a great round for me. I have the Apex 21 5 and 6 in DCB and 7 - AW in standard. Couple holes into the wind playing 1 to 2 clubs longer. Hit the DCB 6 and wow does that go , and so easy to hit. Couple good players I play with hit 5 iron in and barely got there. The DCB 6 and the 5 are beasts and so easy to hit. Love the whole set. For me the transition from the DCB 6 to the standard 7 - AW has really worked. Looking forward to playing these irons this year.

While I wait on a combo set, a couple of thoughts. I wanted the impossible to get mmt 105 shafts but found a nice fit with catalyst 100. I wouldn't overlook those. They are very stable for a graphite shaft and good feel too. I am also increasingly happy I went with the pre-setup combo where the regular Apex starts at 7i. I am only going on my fitting as I don't have the clubs yet, but the regular Apex was nicely balanced between forgiveness and playability. And although they are stronger lofts and longer than what I am playing (mp-18 mmc), the launch and spin is darn good for me. Last year I averaged 55% GIR. I have a hunch this setup will help me increase those numbers. I do have to adjust to longer distances, and that impact will mostly play out with some minor wedge adjustments. I am excited and, for now, patiently waiting.

‘Thanks for posting. I was going to re-shaft my Apex 21s with the Catalyst 100 shafts.

I ordered the 4 iron. I’m a big fan of the long irons in this set.

Short irons I am going to combo with the XForged for now as I am liking those better. I’m going to reshaft the Apex Pros with PX steel it is just a better fit for me.

i hate looking at these irons in my backup bag. i want them to work so badly. my last round was completely bonkers in the best kind of way with my other irons, and yet i still can't shake the urge to swap the pro 21 back in for my round on saturday.

i hate looking at these irons in my backup bag. i want them to work so badly. my last round was completely bonkers in the best kind of way with my other irons, and yet i still can't shake the urge to swap the pro 21 back in for my round on saturday.
I'm feeling this bonkers right now. The other ones I want to love the tiniest bit less went absolutely gonzo and now... :confused:🤔

Following along with this thread, I've noticed a lot of people getting their sets 4-AW or 5-AW, whether combo or not. Some even have the PW and AW in Apex pro (which I believe does not have the A.I. face). For those of you who have the sets with the wedges: Do y'all take a lot of full swings with both clubs and want to match? Match shafts?

I'm considering pulling the trigger soon, but I was thinking 4-PW. My current setup is 5-AW in rogues with a 21* UT. I hit a fair amount of full shots with the AW, but I have more 3/4 swings or long pitches. The spin was never there on the AW. Just good for launching it high and landing it softly on a full swing. Thinking of getting my AW with new Jaws wedges.

I ordered the 4 iron. I’m a big fan of the long irons in this set.

Short irons I am going to combo with the XForged for now as I am liking those better. I’m going to reshaft the Apex Pros with PX steel it is just a better fit for me.
You're going to like the 4-iron. I think it's my favorite club in the set TBH.

Back